By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Quickest game to 10 million?

Sqrl said:
c0rd said:
Kantor said:
Lol. There are 10 million people on WoW altogether...

I'm going to say GT5, like several other people. Of course, Nintendo will probably come out with yet another ridiculous idea for a game (Wii car washing? Wii House Cleaning? Wii Cooking? Oh wait, that last one's been done!) but I am hoping that people have some taste.
Europe eats up the "ridiculous" Eye toy, Singstar, and Buzz "garbage," so much for PS users' taste, hm?

OT: PS2's San Andreas made it to 10mil in 9 weeks. GTA4 (counting both platforms) took 14 weeks. Gran Turismo 5 isn't nearly as big as GTA, so Gran Turismo 5 doesn't have a chance in hell at beating San Andreas. Seriously, Wii Sports Resort has a better chance.

I don't see any games in the near future that can break San Andreas' record. I wouldn't say it's impossible, though. San Andreas came out when the PS2 was about 4 years old in the west. We have over two years until reaching that mark for this gen (the leader released less than 2 years ago). Who knows what games might be released in that timeframe.

Just to add some specifics the PS2 had an install base of about 70.9M at the time and GTA:SA was able to sell 10.06M in the first 9 weeks.  Considering that over 900k of those sales came in that 9th week I think it should be clear that GTA:SA was simply on an entirely different sales level than really anything else.

GT5 is going to have to bring a lot more than just its A-game to even have a chance at matching the record...let alone breaking it.

How long did SMB3 take?  (Disclaimer:  I have absolutely no idea myself.)

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

lol @ people saying GT5.

Probaly Mkwii.

@atma u are kidding right exept Gt4 every Gt game has sold 10 million so why would Gt5 sell 5 million lifetime, Gt5p has sold over 2 million which is really good and its not even a full game also not many games reach 2 million in lifetime.

brute said:
Gran Turismo 4 didn't even sell 10 million,what makes you guy's think that GT5 will sell 10 million,let alone be the fastest to do it?

WTF ?!?!?!

GRAN TURISMO 4 sold 10.06 copies worldwide

GRAN TURISMO 5 will most likely hit 10 million very fast

Around the Network
Tbone said:
Probaly Mkwii.

@atma u are kidding right exept Gt4 every Gt game has sold 10 million so why would Gt5 sell 5 million lifetime, Gt5p has sold over 2 million which is really good and its not even a full game also not many games reach 2 million in lifetime.

I don't know how big GT really is, but just for the record, GT2 only sold 9.3M. So only 2 of 8 GT games have sold 10M, and half of the main series have.

As for the sales of GT.

If there's one trend we've seen this generation, it's that we see less uber selling games, but that the ones that do, sell more. Now, GT is bound to be huge, or even enourmous. I think that 8M is a certanity. Selling 15M is out of the question, but selling 11M, and becomming the 2nd best of 5, is well within reach.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Oyvoyvoyv said:
Tbone said:
Probaly Mkwii.

I don't know how big GT really is, but just for the record, GT2 only sold 9.3M. So only 2 of 8 GT games have sold 10M, and half of the main series have.

As for the sales of GT.

If there's one trend we've seen this generation, it's that we see less uber selling games, but that the ones that do, sell more. Now, GT is bound to be huge, or even enourmous. I think that 8M is a certanity. Selling 15M is out of the question, but selling 11M, and becomming the 2nd best of 5, is well within reach.

Looking back at history it will probaly make 8 million lifetime which i think it can and its the only ps3 game who can make it to 10 million.

Tbone said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
Tbone said:
Probaly Mkwii.

As for the sales of GT.

Looking back at history it will probaly make 8 million lifetime which i think it can and its the only ps3 game who can make it to 10 million.

There's a difference between a userbase of 70+ Mil PS2 and a userbase of 20 Mil PS3.

Oyvoyvoyv said:
Tbone said:
Probaly Mkwii.

As for the sales of GT.

GRAN TURISMO 1 sold 10.85 million

GRAN TURISMO 3 SOLD 14.89 million

GRAN TURISMO 4 sold 10.06 million

out of all the GT PROLOGUE games released GT5:PROLOGUE is the highest selling which only says that GT5 will hit high numbers

atma998 said:
Tbone said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
Tbone said:
Probaly Mkwii.

As for the sales of GT.

There's a difference between a userbase of 70+ Mil PS2 and a userbase of 20 Mil PS3.

True but how come Gt5p sold more than Gt4p with a smaller userbase and Gt5 will release earliest late 2009 Japan so by than the userbase will be atleast 30 million.