By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I kinda get what you are saying Zen, I think the xbox 360 has done what Microsoft really wanted to accomplish, get most 3rd parties into their console, this builds up their brand.

But someone in this thread or some other thread, stated MS lost 6 billion in xbox, I have no idea if thats right but I do think they lost some billions. Only Microsoft can take this long to try to break into a business, any billions they lost doesn't even phase them the slightest. I think it is pretty obvious now xbox 360 will be in last place but they took a chunk away from PS, they are gonna try to get a chunk away for Nintendo. They are going to keep doing this next gen, the next, the next after that and so on. They have the resources to do it.

Around the Network

WOW the 360 is falling fast and for no apparent reason, people most not want it.
At its current price you should not have to wait for Christmas to see "the real effect," instead, MS should be reporting that they can't meet demand, but like some already said, this is only one week.

Jackson50 said:
Endz said:

1 year head start, all these high reviewed scored games, xbox live, 3 huge price cuts, largest game library- taking past PS exclusives...

PS3 with I think only one official price cut and is mostly the opposite of xbox (more expensive, low library of games, not a huge online service, etc.) is just about 400k away sales wise to the xbox.

You gotta admit PS3 is just doing way better then xbox (2x as better considering the 1 year head start) and Wii is just destroying the xbox by millions. Maybe fail is too much of a definitive statement but xbox is doing bad, not horrible but that is due to the growth of gaming.

Well, the Wii is also destroying the PS3 by millions. In regards to the price cuts, I am not certain about the EU and JP but the PS3 has received more price cuts in America than the 360. It is not even two years old and the PS3’s price has been slashed by $200. Conversely, the 360 has been out three years and has only slashed its price by $100. 

The 360 is doing fine. 

Very well written.....

But please dont throw a wrench in all the "360 is doomed" talk generated by this weeks number.  You might anger all the Sony Fanboys...XD...lol, it is too much fun to read....lol.

DOATS1 said:
reggie2 said:
DOATS1 said:
with lbp coming out next week, i have some serious doubts about the 360 retaining it's weekly lead over the ps3. oh how i love competition.

And of course Fable 2 is also out so let's just wait and see, then Gears 2, Xbox Live Experience, resistance 2, etc oh dear

Hang on a minute !, instead of all this spin, let's wait until the Christmas sales are over and see how things shape up because this is just getting childish.
November game releases will show who shifts the most consoles from the big game releases and December consoles for Christmas presents.

Though the Wii has already won before it even starts even though I don't think they have any big games for November do they ?.

last time i saw somebody type that...well...check january and february 08 sales.

What has Jan Feb 08 sales got to do with Jan Feb 09 sales ANSWER = ABSOLOUTLY NOTHING.. So what's your point ?..

blackstar said:

i have to disagree , building a brand name is nothing and can't get u anything

look at sony , look at the ps3 , where is it now?look at how SEGA felt and how Ninty was crushed 2 times for 2 generations in what did the brand name help them?

sony can afford more losses but they don't want to because they want to start strong with ps4 , if they drop the price they are gonna have a hard time with the ps4 even harder form what it is now

Well, that's wrong. Without the Sony brand, the PS3 would have been a disaster. Why do you think it's selling so well in others? Is that based upon its brand, in some capacity?

Anyway, my assertion was that Microsoft is focused on building the Xbox brand, I didn't mention if that was a sound strategy or not. It's undeniable that MS is focused on brand building with the Xbox. However, we can disagree on how important brand is, which we do.

You'd be surprised how quickly your brand goes down the toilet when you try to sell it for 599$.

Anyway, brand certainly isn't everything. However, early adopters next gen won't automatically assume that FFXIV is a PS4 exclusive. Brand is like a starting point, from which you build. You maintain hype and brand from previous generations, but that doesn't mean that you still don't stand on your current merit. That is why coasting is such a horrible idea. Nintendo never coasts. They make missteps, yes, and they have successes, but consistantly reworking their brand and strategy to fit the market.

To be fair, Sony is trying to reshape its brand in a first party image, and give it mascots, along the lines of Nintendo. This is especially apparent with LBP. However, due to the lack of efficiency in return on investment, and cost to compete, Sony has really dropped the ball when it comes to 3rd parties this gen. Their brand is no long associated with Final Fantasy, Tekken, DMC, or Grand Theft Auto. This is directly attributed to Microsofts strategy.

Next generation, the Xbox will be in a stronger potential position than they were when the 360 launched, in all territories. The Playstation will be in a worse position than they were when the PS3 launched. Now, while the outcome of the console war is large and in part due to mistakes and successes performed at the very inception of the products, brand is very important for early adopters, and while it doesn't play a huge role comparitively, would you buy a Atari Huxron 4000 machine next generation? Or a playstation 4? You'd buy a Playstation 4, because it has the word Playstation in it. That's a brand.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
blackstar said:
how can i get the ps2 sales for this week?

http://vgchartz.com/ehweekly.php it

it got 48K

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

reggie2 said:
DOATS1 said:
reggie2 said:
DOATS1 said:
with lbp coming out next week, i have some serious doubts about the 360 retaining it's weekly lead over the ps3. oh how i love competition.

And of course Fable 2 is also out so let's just wait and see, then Gears 2, Xbox Live Experience, resistance 2, etc oh dear

Hang on a minute !, instead of all this spin, let's wait until the Christmas sales are over and see how things shape up because this is just getting childish.
November game releases will show who shifts the most consoles from the big game releases and December consoles for Christmas presents.

Though the Wii has already won before it even starts even though I don't think they have any big games for November do they ?.

last time i saw somebody type that...well...check january and february 08 sales.

What has Jan Feb 08 sales got to do with Jan Feb 09 sales ANSWER = ABSOLOUTLY NOTHING.. So what's your point ?..

my point is that people were saying the exact same thing last year on this very website- "wait until after the holidays to see how things really shape up for the ps3". nobody thought the ps3 would hold up after the holidays, and guess what happened? the ps3 outsold the 360 for the first half of this year. the only thing that stopped it was a price cut for the 360, which is slowly losing it's effect.

psrock said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Endz said:

It's doing poor compared to the Wii, and relatively poor in Others, compared to the PS3.

How is the PS3 doing in America and Japan compared to the Wii. How is it doing compared to the PS2? How is the 360 doing compared to the original Xbox?

Microsoft is focusing on building a brand name. Sony is focused on destroying theirs in the name of short term profit. This mainly entails allowing presumptive 3rd party exclusives go to the 360 on launch, so next gen, Tekken, Final Fantasy, and DMC won't be so presumptive, as Sony brands. It's called "coasting." It's enough to beat the 360 this gen, in Sony's strongest territory, at least, but you'll find as time passes, it won't serve them well. It's what you do when you're not willing to spend money maintaining your brand. You rest on your laurels. Granted, Sony isn't doing this entirely, as they have recently decided to improve focus on first party games, in response to harsh criticism. However, damage has already been done. The 360 has better 3rd party support this generation, and that's never something Sony has had to worry about.

How? the Ps3, wii are very reliable, while the 360 , you know......

MS is competing well and lowering their prices to avoid being passed by, but it will happen eventually. MS is buying its brand name instead of building it.

See, you don't understand the basic concept here. Mistakes happen. Overall strategy remains the same. Microsoft's strategy involves spending large amounts of money to increase its brand. Look at the original Xbox. They didn't spend money on it to make money. They did it to introduce themselves into a marketplace, for the longterm.

They didn't "buy" the strategy. Nobody on a street corner was like, "Hey Microsoft, I got a strategy over here 10 bucks. Beat Sony." No, they formulated a strategy, and the strategy was to spend hellified cheese on the Xbox and the Xbox 360, to please customers and increase brand recognition and marketshare. Yeah, they bought brand recognition and marketshare. Their plan worked well.

Ask yourself this. If Microsoft hadn't made the monumental mistake of RRoD this generation, would it still be doomed to 3rd place? If it fixes that issue next gen, will Sony still be able to coast into second?

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

If Sony hadn't made the monumental mistake of releasing at a high price point this generation, would it still have to play catch up? If it fixes that issue next gen, will MS still be able to rely on money and releasing a year early next gen?

(I can do that too)

psrock said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Endz said:

1 year head start, all these high reviewed scored games, xbox live, 3 huge price cuts, largest game library- taking past PS exclusives...

PS3 with I think only one official price cut and is mostly the opposite of xbox (more expensive, low library of games, not a huge online service, etc.) is just about 400k away sales wise to the xbox.

You gotta admit PS3 is just doing way better then xbox (2x as better considering the 1 year head start) and Wii is just destroying the xbox by millions. Maybe fail is too much of a definitive statement but xbox is doing bad, not horrible but that is due to the growth of gaming.

It's doing poor compared to the Wii, and relatively poor in Others, compared to the PS3.

How is the PS3 doing in America and Japan compared to the Wii. How is it doing compared to the PS2? How is the 360 doing compared to the original Xbox?

Microsoft is focusing on building a brand name. Sony is focused on destroying theirs in the name of short term profit. This mainly entails allowing presumptive 3rd party exclusives go to the 360 on launch, so next gen, Tekken, Final Fantasy, and DMC won't be so presumptive, as Sony brands. It's called "coasting." It's enough to beat the 360 this gen, in Sony's strongest territory, at least, but you'll find as time passes, it won't serve them well. It's what you do when you're not willing to spend money maintaining your brand. You rest on your laurels. Granted, Sony isn't doing this entirely, as they have recently decided to improve focus on first party games, in response to harsh criticism. However, damage has already been done. The 360 has better 3rd party support this generation, and that's never something Sony has had to worry about.

How? the Ps3, wii are very reliable, while the 360 , you know......

MS is competing well and lowering their prices to avoid being passed by, but it will happen eventually. MS is buying its brand name instead of building it.

Yes the 360 had the RROD, but it focused on fixing the problem yes? ~ yes

MS is lowing it's prices and buying it's brand: ?

You do know that systems lower their prices right? it's the cycle of life with consoles & handhelds.

It doesn't matter if MS is buying exclusives, or begging for them, the point is their going after them. 

I love how people say MS is buying Exclusives, but when Sony gave $$$$ to rockstar for GTA on PS2 nobody said a word..

Not to mention other exclusives on the PS3, PS2,.

Why is it bad when MS buys exclusives? but ok if other companies do it?

Heck what about the companies that agreed to the deal?

Hypocritical to say the least.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o