By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why I believe Sony have to drop this price this year.

I think sony will cut the price.

If not they will lose alot of potential buyers.

Around the Network
craighopkins said:

But thats the thing. They cannot afford to cut the prices. They've even promised their shareholders that they want to remain profitable.

End of '08 predictions (made by theprof00): PS3: 20m, 360: 23.5m, wii: 42m

Now Playin':  PS3|Resistance 2, LBP, Uncharted and Fifa 09, PSP| Ratchet and Clank: Size matters, 360| Gears of war 2 and Fallout 3.

ultimate_123 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
ultimate_123 said:
And the credit crunch is all due to oil. Oh what a discovery this was. Curse the man who discovered cars.

No, the credit crunch is down to subprime mortgages, inflation is down to oil.

Yeah but the credit crunch is all down to the inflation so it all kind of links in.

the craziest thing it might cause is deflation, ive seen a few small ramblings,in the economist, and a few other rags, the idea seems to be gaining steam. on a side note, this has maed the dollar storonger (or its decimated other currencies of the world) 1 euro is now only 1.34 dollars down form 1.41 monday and it has been doing this for awhile, the canadian dollar and the aussie dollar doing the same thing... the yen seems to be the only other one not sliding... with this in mind, japanses companies might move back to the usa with major shipments, if the euro keeps sliding, since the difrence in units wont be that much (outside of the pound that is)

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

ultimate_123 said:
craighopkins said:

But thats the thing. They cannot afford to cut the prices. They've even promised their shareholders that they want to remain profitable.

and we know that manufacturing the thng wont be 400 until jan 09 or thats what sony has said, so look to march for your price drop

Sony stock has lost close to 60% of its value in the past year and is at a 15 year low. I don't think they have much flexibility except to maximize profit in the short term, which would mean no price cuts and possibly selling more parts of the company, assuming they could find any buyers in such a bad economy.

Around the Network

You can pick up a 360 for $100-$200 cheaper then a PS3. Most of the top games are multiplatform, and even for PS3 exclusives their are equivalnet just as good games on the 360. If Sony doesn't price drop, the 360 is going to outsell it big time in NA.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Sony still has some major blockbusters left, but the price cut is a major point that will help the PS3 sales worldwide...

eliasg said:

Sony still has some major blockbusters left, but the price cut is a major point that will help the PS3 sales worldwide...

true that should happen sony understands that, and is betting on software to not make it too bad, probably alot of temporary packins, and deals like the controler with lbp

libellule said:

3/ no need of price cut

Sony is trying to make "understand" that next gen begin in 2009 with the 300$ PS3.

That is why they are so calm ... they are in the defensive/resistant phase.

I pretty much agree with you.  Sony is keeping the price the same not only for defensive/resistance(no pun inteneded) purposes.  Also, because they're showing consumers that the console is worth the money.

They don't feel it's too expensive and honestly I don't either.  They're doing this on purpose and I fully back them up.  They COULD drop the price, but then they would lose crazy money.  They aren't trying to "Win" right now, in 2009 I really think the big difference will show.

As for the Holiday season, meh, everyone right now is having money issues.

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

They will probably have a price drop in 2009. Right now they don't really have the money to have a price drop. Mabye after Resistance 2, LBP, Killzone 2 and God of WarIII is released, then they will have a price drop.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY