By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why I believe Sony have to drop this price this year.

^^^
Games mean nothing if people do not have access to credit or money to purchase a system.

Around the Network
rendo said:
^^^
Games mean nothing if people do not have access to credit or money to purchase a system.

Okay. 

But as I said, sales of PS3 are already up from last year, they don't need to push tons more consoles to do well this holiday season.  Sales are still rising as we're going into this credit crunch, not falling.

People are blind enought to believe that sony can AFFORD to make a price drop ...

It is also the crysis for them : so no price cut.

Time to Work !

DMeisterJ said:
rendo said:
^^^

Okay. 

But as I said, sales of PS3 are already up from last year, they don't need to push tons more consoles to do well this holiday season.  Sales are still rising as we're going into this credit crunch, not falling.

This credit crisis was merely making itself known it existed at the start of the year.  Now it's reared it's ugly head out.  Plus the price has decreased since it launched, so that explains the YOY increases.  Just wait until Christmas shopping starts in 2-3 weeks.  YOY will be DOWN.

The problem with your logic is that you assume Sony can afford the price drop, and have been keeping the price artificially inflated.

First, even if they could drop it, there's question whether they would be able to drop it enough to get to an attractive price point ($199-299).

Second, we know from what Sony has said that they can't afford to do a cut this year, and their focus is on turning a profit. Not only can we expect the PS3 to take a hit, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them hit by slower sales in computers, HDtvs, and blu ray.

Now, it may not work out that way - sometimes entertainment does well in tough economic environments, but I don't think anyone, especially Sony, is counting on it. Therefore they have to be able to sustain the profitability on what they do sell, and that means keeping the price high on the consoles. ?They may be able to cut prices on hardware like TVs that are already profitable, but so long as they are losing money with PS3 sales, the price stays.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
@libellule

if SONY can get Dark Knight Blu-Ray budled with PS3....they should say HI to GREAT SALES

If I'm not mistaken Dark Knight is now the BIGGEST SUCCESS in NA behind Titanic!

So long as they can get the regular Dark Knight  DVD at WalMArt for $15, the draw of putting a $25 BRDVD in a $400 console will be minimal.

ultimate_123 said:
And the credit crunch is all due to oil. Oh what a discovery this was. Curse the man who discovered cars.

No, the credit crunch is down to subprime mortgages, inflation is down to oil.

selnor said:
libellule said:

1/ what is the link between Sony and F1 ?? (plz)

2/ if sony drop the price = more lose for us them (lol) = very BAD

3/ no need of price cut

Sony is trying to make "understand" that next gen begin in 2009 with the 300$ PS3.

That is why they are so calm ... they are in the defensive/resistant phase.

Expect Sony/Xbox360 to be very close this Xmas (like last year)

@ your point number 1. That is the most nieve comment Ive ever seen. The F1 financially has always been untouchable. F1 is WW. If the crunch is seriuosly about to affect that sport, it shows how the crunch is far worse than people realise. Price will be a huge factor over the next 2 years. Most analysts predict the worst (or lowest point of the crunch) to be midway through next year. The problems could be around for 2 years yet.

world wide outside of the states, you could have used gm pullingout of superbowl advertising. i know formula one airs in the states, but for the life of me i cant remember ever seeing it on in a sports bar, or ever watching ot on tv or knowing anyone who does.... i dislike nascar too, but i do know people who love i watch it and its on in sports bars.

so when dealing with the states, remember,we dont always have the same big fallowings of the rest of the world  (rugby kicks ass though)

on topic, sony cant aford it... they have already said in january 2009 is when manufacturing costs will be at 400 which means they will still be taking a loss on advertising and shipping and what not... march, they just have to ride it out till then, packins are the way to apear like a price drop with out lowering the price.

also ive brought this up in many threads how many people here are feeling the crunch were any of us denied a home loan or car loan, or were we fired from the banking industry? who here earns less than last year, or has had thier creditcards canceled by the companies that held them?

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

dbot said:

The economy will have the same impact on all 3 console manufacturers.  Nintendo is in the best position because they have tremendous sales at an attractive price point and they make money on each sale.  Both MS and Sony lose money on each unit sale and hope to make it up on software sales. 

In this economy it is best to focus on profitability and revenue.  MS needs to sell substantially more units to achieve the revenue that they were earning prior to the price cuts.  Using the Arcade as an example, to achieve 30 million in revenue the arcade can sell 107k at the "original" clearance price of $279 per unit, but at the new price they need to move 150k units to achieve the same revenue of 30 million.  MS needs to sell 43k more units just to have the same revenue.  I am not sure MS would have cut the price had they known how bad the economy would be.

i think they still would have, and do you have any information showing that they are taking a loss on each console the said this summer they werent and with another chip revision and time prices could be easly down to under the cut, sony is the only one who has said they wont be making a profit until next year january o9. further, ms is a planned cut, and profits are what matter, so if ms is say losing money on the arcade and making very little on the pro and a good bit on the elite, people buying excesories like storage units or controlers, make up the difrence in low end, and games are pure bonus.

however we will never truely know how the xbox and its products are doing, due to ms putting it in with zunes and surface and other experimental units. so the division may loses money anyway or make money without the xboxs help. only ms knows.... now share holders could demaned that info if we have any share holders here they should send in a request, and see what happens

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

SamuelRSmith said:
ultimate_123 said:
And the credit crunch is all due to oil. Oh what a discovery this was. Curse the man who discovered cars.

No, the credit crunch is down to subprime mortgages, inflation is down to oil.

Yeah but the credit crunch is all down to the inflation so it all kind of links in.

End of '08 predictions (made by theprof00): PS3: 20m, 360: 23.5m, wii: 42m

Now Playin':  PS3|Resistance 2, LBP, Uncharted and Fifa 09, PSP| Ratchet and Clank: Size matters, 360| Gears of war 2 and Fallout 3.