By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Starcraft II campaign split into 3 separate SKU's!

Wow, great idea, poor execution :S, price is going to determine the success of this game :S

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network
cwbys21 said:
twesterm said:
cwbys21 said:
Each game will have the full multiplayer, and each will have up to 30 missions for the story line. Thats right, 30 missions per faction for the single player campaign. I did a quick look around to other game sites and it is quite humorous looking at some of the ignorant comments. This is shaping up to be three full games, not like a third of the game as the kotaku article implies. Hopefully there will be 3 different sets of maps along with 90 missions.

No, I promise you it is in fact three 1/3's of games (or one full game).  Telling me those are three full games is like telling me Gears of War isn't a full game and FFXII should really be split into three games.

The original Starcraft had about 10 missions per faction, for a total of 30 missions or so.  Each of these will have 30 missions for their faction, for a total of 90 missions.  The kotaku article didn't talk about it but after looking around I found this out at gamespot.  I didn't see anything about the online, hopefully like I said there will be new maps for each one, but these will be full games and Blizzard will probably charge atleast $40 for them.  I'm not pleased at the idea, but whatever.

So the original Gears of war had, what, 8 chapters?  If the new game had 16 chapers but made you buy it twice you'd be fine with that?

There's no excuse for their bullshit rising of the price.  If they couldn't justify putting it in a single package they should have just cut back on scope.

this is seriously messed...but i hope they dont make us pay for online at least

Apples and oranges twestern. I'll come back later when you blood pressure returns to normal.

And forgot to mention that after even angrier after reading that.

Each expansion means new changes to the multiplayer. Great. So now they're not only screwing over the people that like the campaigns, they're making the people that just want multiplayer buy all the expansions too.

Well, at least they're screwing over everyone equally.

Around the Network

"Each new single player campaign will come with upgrades and changes to the multiplayer."

There's a term for that. "Planned obsolescence." So the multiplayer will be intentionally "incomplete" (for lack of a better term) until the final "expansion" (patch?) is released.

Awesome.

cwbys21 said:
Apples and oranges twestern. I'll come back later when you blood pressure returns to normal.

Not really.  They simple swung too hard and now instead of them paying for it, they're making us pay for it.  And of course since they're Blizzard they know people like you will gladly take it right in the ass and like it.  Every other developer has to worry about scope and budget but not them because they have blind devotion.

This game was a must buy for me but it's moved pretty close to the bottom of the list.  If all three packs come out at launch and cost a total of $60-70, I'll put it back at the top of my list.  If it's more $70 it's down towards the bottom of my list.  If it's more than $100 then it won't even on my list.

this is the same thing they do to pokemon
split similar content in 2 games gold-silver ,emerald-sapphire etc.

considering it works great with a series with fans,
many people will buy 3 SKUs just to get able to play all the game

Jo21 said:

The thing with Pokemon though is the only thing you're missing is 1-2 Pokemon which you can get if you trade with people.  You're missing up to two full campaigns and multiplayer options with people on this one that you can't get unless you pay.  Hell, you're even potentially missing out on playing with people because you won't be able to play with people who have the expansion pack and you don't.

Jo21 said:

There IS a difference though: you can beat Pokemon in its entirety with only one version, even if they leave some Pokemon out.

Here, though, you're getting roughly a third of the final product. You're not even getting the entire multiplayer, as they'll be modifying it with each new expansion. To use your analogy, it'd be like having to buy the next Pokemon game to see the next third of the game, and to add insult to injury your monsters stats change with each new pack.

While I'm not as pissed as some, I'm not exactly thrilled by this either, and am probably going to wait until they bundle all three at a low price to get any of them.