By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - games use just 10% of ps3's power + CELL benchmarks

seriously people!!!! listen to washimul!!!! he knows what hes talking about!!!! you DARE doubt the power of the CELL???????

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

BenKenobi88 said: seriously people!!!! listen to washimul!!!! he knows what hes talking about!!!! you DARE doubt the power of the CELL???????
I know, I'll never doubt anyone who writes like a twelve year old again.

That's funny, I remember reading that SONY said that current titles use about 40%-50% of CELL power. If I can find a link, I'll post it. Remember kids - the Cell is the CPU. Having more clock cycles available DOESN'T make a better or prettier game. It might allow for better collision or physics processing - its the GPU that ultimately determines how pretty a game is, or how many polys can be pushed.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

washimul said: CELL is not a simple architecture like normal pc cores /quad cores/ xenon. pcs would take atleast 5 years to reach CELL's performance. INTEL's 80 core in 2010 would do 1 TF .......but it still has no plans to produce that simulated PROCESSOR. Intel /amd has no response to CELL............simply everything is finish for them. i wouldnt be surprised if cell for ps4 comes equipped with 1000 spes and 100 ppes.
Wow - and look at all the AWESOME PS3 games that are out! Imagine how much BETTER they will be with 1000000000x times more processing power behind them!! (i.e., just as sucky).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

washimul said: what a F***** trash can??? i poted 1000 articles on CELL and ps3 and an illeterate comes up with bizarre info.
You posted a lot of articles that you didn't understand, let me try to explain it in easier terms. The Cell architecture by itself doesn't produce a magically high performance processor, unless you use the SPUs. It can happily run as a plain vanilla PowerPC chip. The SPUs are where it gets interesting because they execute separately from the main processor core, and are quite fast - if a bit limited. You have to send the SPU a small program to perform a small task along with some input. The main program runs on the primary core and sends these jobs off to each of the SPUs to offload the computation. The main program accepts the SPU's results, which might be a physics calculation or the like. It then incorporates these results into its own calculations. The aggregate performance of the SPUs, combined with the performance of the primary core, is where the performance figures come from. 100% utilization is not a simple task, especially in a video game where many different things are happening at once and can change quickly. It needs to be handled either by the programmer or the compiler, and the last I'd heard IBM wasn't finished with their compiler.
parallelliaaaaaaaaaaaa .................what the F***** is this guy saying..................................have been reading any of those links i posted from IBM, MC, UC, MIT
The word you're looking for is parallelization. In this context, it means doing more than one thing at a time.

Around the Network

Sony claimed many things in the past...so...

Any IBM benchmarks for the sell processor do not apply to the PS3. IBM benchmarked the Cell with 8 SPUs. The Cell in the PS3 only has 6 available SPUs.

Darc Requiem said: Any IBM benchmarks for the sell processor do not apply to the PS3. IBM benchmarked the Cell with 8 SPUs. The Cell in the PS3 only has 6 available SPUs.
Ok, so let's just take 20% off those benchmarks. That means the PS3 is capable of running at speeds 10x faster than a standard intel... still. *yawn* The processor on the PS3 is awosome. Stop being stupid and attacking stuff like that. These charts and stuff seem kinda useless to me. They have no revelance with the PS3. The Cell is under-used by the games right now. Once multi-threaded games start coming out, they will probially be optimized for the PS3, and then ported to the 360. (why? because the Cell is harder to program for, while the 360 is easier, so program it for the hard, and port to the easy. That way you can kinda optimize for the 360 as well) I hate to break it to you guys. But It's not funny anymore. You guys are a sad lot. Someone says the PS3 is awosome. You say "It's crap." Someone sends a link to how under-used the PS3 is. You say. "The PS3 is crap." Someone sends a link to how powerful the PS3 is. You say "It's crap. It's not that powerful." Your right. It is NOT that powerful compared to a Cray. It's only about 50% faster... Than a CRAY. Maybe the lot of you dont know what a cray is. But they had a computer running a 5Ghz, 17 years ago. Yeah, Back with PCs were running at about 66mhz. And if I'm not mistaken the cray was running on an entirely gold system. Each chip cost more most cars for sale. Oh, yeah. They also live in massive aquariums, with a bubbler to make the water flow move, because the temperature diffrence, wasnt enough to move the water. They had to have the water FLOWING. RAPIDLY. Welcome to a True Supercomputer. (they dont make'em like they used to) I agree. Games use about 5-15% of the power. I also am not sure what % of power games are useing on the RSX. As it's too early to be dumping extreme optimized code out yet.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Darc Requiem said: Any IBM benchmarks for the sell processor do not apply to the PS3. IBM benchmarked the Cell with 8 SPUs. The Cell in the PS3 only has 6 available SPUs.
What about Havok? They say the cell is equal to about a 15 to 30 core PC. baka the cell is designed to do DSP work I think it can do some video preprocessing before it is shipped to the GPU that is the plan anyways. Companies are never done with their compilers they are always finding ways to improve things, but at this time they do have one out. IBM would not handle the video game side of the Cell Sony is suppose to do the "compiler". IBM chip designer will talk to developers on how to better use the cell though.

Pointless discussion. $599 and no games. Come back next year.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.