By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ... And there it is. Mario Kart Wii just caught up to Halo 3.

I never expected kart to be bigger than brawl.

Around the Network
|_emmiwinks said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

As of the latest US software numbers, MK wii is now tied with Halo 3. Considering how much MK Wii sells every week, it's going to boost right by and never look back come next week. What are your thoughts on this? Honestly, even after seeing the crazy legs MK Wii has had, I'm surprised. I never would've though it'd gain ground on this gen's #1 this quickly.

Still doesnt match Halo 3 on attach rate and install base. Call me when that happens. Its just as important as it selling as many units. :)

I think Microsoft would even disagree with that.

|_emmiwinks said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

As of the latest US software numbers, MK wii is now tied with Halo 3. Considering how much MK Wii sells every week, it's going to boost right by and never look back come next week. What are your thoughts on this? Honestly, even after seeing the crazy legs MK Wii has had, I'm surprised. I never would've though it'd gain ground on this gen's #1 this quickly.

Still doesnt match Halo 3 on attach rate and install base. Call me when that happens. Its just as important as it selling as many units. :)

Absolute lollers.

1. You realize the attach rate for Halo 3 is going down every day?  Halo 3 sold 22k last week but the X360 itself sold 185k. 

2. Install base?  You realize that actually means units sold, don't you?  Which means MKWii has already managed to do that.

3. Importance.  How important are they?  None, really.  How many PR pieces do we get about single game attach rate vs PR peices about single game sales?  While attach rate is a nice metric to look at, overall sales is THE key metric publishers care about.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

TWRoO said:

Yes that was my reasoning... but yes, my numbers were not based on anything in the same way as fastyxx just assumed Halo 3 must have more people playing currently because he thinks so.

From his reply he seems to now be talking about the online support in terms of additional content, which is a different matter.... Although Mario Kart does have the twice monthly competitions, but yes Halo 3 probably does get more than that, although his original point seemed to be that more DLC must mean more people are still playing the game.

I knew you didn't read the original post, because if you did you'd try and make more sense.

From the original post:

"But I'd much rather have a game that is tweaked monthly and regularly expanded/updated and regularly played for months and months and months after launch than a game that sells more but whose pre user lifespan is limited. It's a better blueprint for the future of gaming. See Burnout Paradise on both PS3 and 360 for a similar good buy for consumers."

Which was the whole point behind the discussion.  But you smelled anti-Wii bias because someone didn't bow down before all things Mario, so you got all huffy before you figured out what was going on.

Anyhow.  I really don't care.  Just haven't had a good back and forth post battle for awhile.  No worries, friend.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

fastyxx said:
TWRoO said:

Yes that was my reasoning... but yes, my numbers were not based on anything in the same way as fastyxx just assumed Halo 3 must have more people playing currently because he thinks so.

From his reply he seems to now be talking about the online support in terms of additional content, which is a different matter.... Although Mario Kart does have the twice monthly competitions, but yes Halo 3 probably does get more than that, although his original point seemed to be that more DLC must mean more people are still playing the game.

I knew you didn't read the original post, because if you did you'd try and make more sense.

From the original post:

"But I'd much rather have a game that is tweaked monthly and regularly expanded/updated and regularly played for months and months and months after launch than a game that sells more but whose pre user lifespan is limited. It's a better blueprint for the future of gaming. See Burnout Paradise on both PS3 and 360 for a similar good buy for consumers."

Which was the whole point behind the discussion.  But you smelled anti-Wii bias because someone didn't bow down before all things Mario, so you got all huffy before you figured out what was going on.

Anyhow.  I really don't care.  Just haven't had a good back and forth post battle for awhile.  No worries, friend.

Wait, the discussion wasn't based on this?

"But a year after launch, at least 1 in 8 Halo 3 players play online in a given week, whereas there are a lot of sad little Marios sitting on people's shelves less than a year in. I like Galaxy a lot. Mario Kart is fun but I don't care much. It's disposable - nothing too new or exciting there"

And this?

"Having Halo 3 be a bigger seller would be better for gamers in that respect."

I'm not getting mixed into this discussion (as I have little knowledge about this), but I believe this is what they quoted you for.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network

Mario Kart has alwasy been quite a fascinating franchise when it comes to sales. I mean it takes the most popular characters in a franchise and the most recognizable character in gaming and puts them in cart racing. I mean at first it sounds like well weird but it came down to racing being one of the most mainstream forms of gaming in the world. Not only could racing provide a tough challenge for core gamers it provided something easy for all mainstream and casual gamers to get into quickly.

Considering this has been what Wii is all about, supporting core and mainstream alike, it was like lighting a match in an armory. I mean it's been explosive. I mean it had the help of MK being a well known franchise but give the core gamers their online and persistent support of online along with many control setups and the rest of the gamers an easy way to jump in and play something extremely fun and you've gotten this. This game on Wii has truly been the epiphany of smart business along with being able to make a solid game for everyone. I congratulate Nintendo heavily for this one as I don't think anyone else has been able to perfect that model better in a game.

Oyvoyvoyv said:
fastyxx said:
TWRoO said:

From the original post:

Wait, the discussion wasn't based on this?

"But a year after launch, at least 1 in 8 Halo 3 players play online in a given week, whereas there are a lot of sad little Marios sitting on people's shelves less than a year in. I like Galaxy a lot. Mario Kart is fun but I don't care much. It's disposable - nothing too new or exciting there"

And this?

"Having Halo 3 be a bigger seller would be better for gamers in that respect."

I'm not getting mixed into this discussion (as I have little knowledge about this), but I believe this is what they quoted you for.

Correct, that is what I was referring to.

the point is if you only read the later comments without the context of the original one, you're missing the intended message.

One of the reasons people play games online is because titles like Halo or World of Warcraft or HalfLife or Counterstrike or TF2 or Oblivion change and evolve over time whereas Mario Kart or Brawl or the like barely change from iteration to iteration, let alone within the context of a single title's release. That's the only point I'm trying to make.

It's not about Halo or 360 versus Wii or Halo versus Mario Kart.

Developers getting rewarded for expanding and servicing their games over months and years past launch is good for gamers, as we will get the same treatment in the future. Gamers buying the games that have relatively lazy updates, like Mario Kart Wii in many ways, in huge numbers is relatively BAD for gamers. There's no motivation to push the envelope.

Wouldn't we be in a better place as gamers if Portal sold significantly more than Hannah Montana's Makeup Party? Same idea, only for top sellers.

Or to put it in a Wii-fan's point of view, wouldn't it be better if Super Mario Galaxy, which had some genuinely new ideas, outsold Mario Kart? Why should Nintendo spend serious time developing earth-shattering, innovative stuff if they can roll out the same game and make a killing?

^ by your standards every game that has no online updates is not worthy of sell, hmm interesting.

the main point of this thread is not about online updates or which game is getting more plays, its purely sales that is all, everything else is just excuses

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434