By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ... And there it is. Mario Kart Wii just caught up to Halo 3.

Cougarman said:
^ by your standards every game that has no online updates is not worthy of sell, hmm interesting.

the main point of this thread is not about online updates or which game is getting more plays, its purely sales that is all, everything else is just excuses

Who said they weren't worthy of selling?  From the 2nd post, the Wii-heads were proclaiming that the rightful heir to the throne and had finally been annointed.  I was just offering another viewpoint.  That's all.  It's like the Nintendo-centric crowd is looking for something to fight about.  

I have all 3 consoles and really don't care about the fanboyism.  Check my sig.  Just trying to have a discussion.  That's it.  No one's questioning anyone's manhood or anything.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Around the Network
fastyxx said:
the point is if you only read the later comments without the context of the original one, you're missing the intended message.

One of the reasons people play games online is because titles like Halo or World of Warcraft or HalfLife or Counterstrike or TF2 or Oblivion change and evolve over time whereas Mario Kart or Brawl or the like barely change from iteration to iteration, let alone within the context of a single title's release. That's the only point I'm trying to make.

It's not about Halo or 360 versus Wii or Halo versus Mario Kart.

Developers getting rewarded for expanding and servicing their games over months and years past launch is good for gamers, as we will get the same treatment in the future. Gamers buying the games that have relatively lazy updates, like Mario Kart Wii in many ways, in huge numbers is relatively BAD for gamers. There's no motivation to push the envelope.

Wouldn't we be in a better place as gamers if Portal sold significantly more than Hannah Montana's Makeup Party? Same idea, only for top sellers.

Erm... I was talking about your original post in this thread.... in fact take the bit that you quoted of yourself ("But I'd much rather.....") and it fits right in the middle of the bits Oyvoyvoyv quoted.

Why is this all about online.... other people in this thread have already mentioned how they still played MK:DD with friends up to the point MKWii was released (and the same for MK64 up to DD, as well as Brawls iterations)

Surely this thread will be about Wii music in about a years time? lol.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

^ you did imply that halo 3 is good for gaming because of online updates, that was your main reason why halo 3 should sell better, it is your opinion.

were did i mention nintendo, fanboyism or did i accuse you of being fanboy? were? please show me, you are the one using terms like wii-heads not me.

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

There's nothing wrong with Mario Kart Wii outselling Super Mario Galaxy. Both games are going to sell over 10 million each. Mario Kart Wii sold 8 million in less than 6 months, and Super Mario Galaxy sold 7 million in less than 11. That's great for both games.

Around the Network
fastyxx said:

One of the reasons people play games online is because titles like Halo or World of Warcraft or HalfLife or Counterstrike or TF2 or Oblivion change and evolve over time whereas Mario Kart or Brawl or the like barely change from iteration to iteration, let alone within the context of a single title's release. That's the only point I'm trying to make.

This isn't adding anything to the thread, but i thought i should let you know that neither of these games are online games, nor have they had DLC to my knowledge besides patches... just letting you know so you aren't disappointed when you get around to playing them

Well done. I bet pretty much everyone who has a wii will own this game eventually. LOL. :)

flames_of said:
code.samurai said:
fastyxx said:
But a year after launch, at least 1 in 8 Halo 3 players play online in a given week, whereas there are a lot of sad little Marios sitting on people's shelves less than a year in. I like Galaxy a lot. Mario Kart is fun but I don't care much. It's disposable - nothing too new or exciting there.

But I'd much rather have a game that is tweaked monthly and regularly expanded/updated and regularly played for months and months and months after launch than a game that sells more but whose pre user lifespan is limited. It's a better blueprint for the future of gaming. See Burnout Paradise on both PS3 and 360 for a similar good buy for consumers.

Having Halo 3 be a bigger seller would be better for gamers in that respect.

But whatever. Like most of the discussions we get all worked over on this site, it don't matter at all.

I guess that's what hardcore gamers nowadays have been reduced to, sad people with no one to play with at home.   Sad, really.  Games like MarioKart typically caters to those who actually play with people face to face.   Makes you less miserable on those lonely days.

You are kidding right?
You do know there are many online MK and SSBB games played aswell, including this site's community.

Definitely not kidding.  If you bought MK and SSBB primarily for online play then something must be wrong with you.   I love the way people here segregate individual words and comments out on those words and ignore the entire thread entirely, they must have eaten way too much bird droppings at birth, either that or there's too much glue in the basement.

tabsina said:
fastyxx said:

This isn't adding anything to the thread, but i thought i should let you know that neither of these games are online games, nor have they had DLC to my knowledge besides patches... just letting you know so you aren't disappointed when you get around to playing them

While I think fastyxx is wrong I should point out that Oblivion and HalfLife (and Half-Life 2) both have user created mods all over the place.  Maybe not so much on consoles, but there's stuff all over the place on PC.

code.samurai said:
flames_of said:
code.samurai said:
fastyxx said:
But a year after launch, at least 1 in 8 Halo 3 players play online in a given week, whereas there are a lot of sad little Marios sitting on people's shelves less than a year in. I like Galaxy a lot. Mario Kart is fun but I don't care much. It's disposable - nothing too new or exciting there.

But I'd much rather have a game that is tweaked monthly and regularly expanded/updated and regularly played for months and months and months after launch than a game that sells more but whose pre user lifespan is limited. It's a better blueprint for the future of gaming. See Burnout Paradise on both PS3 and 360 for a similar good buy for consumers.

Having Halo 3 be a bigger seller would be better for gamers in that respect.

But whatever. Like most of the discussions we get all worked over on this site, it don't matter at all.

I guess that's what hardcore gamers nowadays have been reduced to, sad people with no one to play with at home.   Sad, really.  Games like MarioKart typically caters to those who actually play with people face to face.   Makes you less miserable on those lonely days.

You are kidding right?
You do know there are many online MK and SSBB games played aswell, including this site's community.

Definitely not kidding.  If you bought MK and SSBB primarily for online play then something must be wrong with you.   I love the way people here segregate individual words and comments out on those words and ignore the entire thread entirely, they must have eaten way too much bird droppings at birth, either that or there's too much glue in the basement.

I'm pointing out the words that reflect a stance in which you are looking down upon other people. Which also has minimal to do with MK selling past Halo...
So I have eaten to many bird droppings and sniffed/consumed to much glue huh? If that is your opinion of me...
Besides, nothing wrong with playing people online; afterall it is real people online aswell, you can talk to them and so forth.

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)