By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ... And there it is. Mario Kart Wii just caught up to Halo 3.

This was well expected to happen. I am surprised it has taken Mario Kart Wii half a year to reach 8 million sales. I would of expected Mario Kart Wii to have passed 8 million within 3 months.

Around the Network
Supernova82 said:
This was well expected to happen. I am surprised it has taken Mario Kart Wii half a year to reach 8 million sales. I would of expected Mario Kart Wii to have passed 8 million within 3 months.

I agree. It is a shame that Mario Kart Wii is selling a mere 100K each week. A bigger launch and at least 150-200K weekly should have been expected, or what?

I mean, the game has been out of the top 5 WW several times! Even if you exclude Wii Sports, it has been out around 5 of 25 weeks. It even fell out of the top 10 once! After a mere 25 weeks.

Failure in Americas. It's going to end behind Brawl for 2008! And combined GTA IV will beat it by well over a million!

Failure in Japan. Wii Fit is going to beat it, and so is Monster Hunter and Pokemon Platinum.

Failure in Others. May beat Wii Fit, or end a statistical tie. Grand Theft Auto IV could also beat it.

Nintendo must be dissapointed - they're soon to be on the edge of bankrupcy.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Supernova82 said:

Thats odd an expectation

Mario Kart DS took 2 years (well, 100 weeks, so almost 2 years) to reach 8million

Mario Kart Double Dash did not reach 8 million (6.96m total)

Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64 only made it into the 8-10 mil range lifetime, so unlikely to have hit 8million within the first year, or even two

Mario Kart Wii has taken, as you said 6 months, or rather 25 weeks

In summary

Mario Kart Wii took a quarter of the time to get to 8million than the previous fastest selling mario kart

how is that below expectations

gta iv will outsell halo 3 too

playnext3 said:
gta iv will outsell halo 3 too

Combined: Yes, already has.

Single platform: Doubtful. GTA 360 has the biggest change. It is at 6M, and sells 20K weekly.  Halo 3 is at 8.25M, and sells 20K weekly.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network
BILL COSBY!!! said:
In my opinion this is a sad day for gaming.

I agree. MKWii should have passed Halo 3 week 1, not week 25.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

tabsina said:
flames_of said:
TWRoO said:
fastyxx said:
trestres said:

3. I'd like to see you prove Halo 3 has more users per week now than Mario Kart, in fact I'd say online users alone MKWii is probably equalling Halo 3, but with Halo I bet 90% plus of those who played in the last week were online, whereas Mario Kart's online community is probably only 40% of the total players.

So what is the proof for your statements? You disagree with the previous poster who did not utilize proof, but proceed to make assumptions in your own opinion. 

How can the online communities equal out and only have 40% of MK owners play online versus 90% of H3 online when Kart just passed Halo now?

There is nothing wrong with playing a game a lot, it proves it was a well decided purchase.  Don't spin long-replayibilty into a negative.

I don't agree with TWRoO's statistic, simply because we don't know any figures to make assumptions, however i can explain to you how those % could be true (in that they aren't unrealistic based off your comment)

He is suggesting that 90% of the people who STILL PLAY halo 3, not own halo 3, are playing it primarily online, while 10% play offline... and that 40% of the people who STILL PLAY mario kart are equal to that figure 90%, meaning 60% of mario kart owners who still play are playing offline

For this to be true, the maximum amount of current halo 3 owners are 44.44% (or less, because this figure implies that every single mario kart wii owner is still playing)... clearly this is a bit low

Yes that was my reasoning... but yes, my numbers were not based on anything in the same way as fastyxx just assumed Halo 3 must have more people playing currently because he thinks so.

From his reply he seems to now be talking about the online support in terms of additional content, which is a different matter.... Although Mario Kart does have the twice monthly competitions, but yes Halo 3 probably does get more than that, although his original point seemed to be that more DLC must mean more people are still playing the game.

where are my blue sparks and co-op?

You telling me there was a competition between them?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Roma said:
You telling me there was a competition between them?

Uh, yeah? Halo 3 was the best seller of this generation(on one console, that is) for almost a year, so, yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying.