By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ... And there it is. Mario Kart Wii just caught up to Halo 3.

flames_of said:
code.samurai said:
flames_of said:
code.samurai said:
fastyxx said:
But a year after launch, at least 1 in 8 Halo 3 players play online in a given week, whereas there are a lot of sad little Marios sitting on people's shelves less than a year in. I like Galaxy a lot. Mario Kart is fun but I don't care much. It's disposable - nothing too new or exciting there.

But I'd much rather have a game that is tweaked monthly and regularly expanded/updated and regularly played for months and months and months after launch than a game that sells more but whose pre user lifespan is limited. It's a better blueprint for the future of gaming. See Burnout Paradise on both PS3 and 360 for a similar good buy for consumers.

Having Halo 3 be a bigger seller would be better for gamers in that respect.

But whatever. Like most of the discussions we get all worked over on this site, it don't matter at all.

I guess that's what hardcore gamers nowadays have been reduced to, sad people with no one to play with at home.   Sad, really.  Games like MarioKart typically caters to those who actually play with people face to face.   Makes you less miserable on those lonely days.

You are kidding right?
You do know there are many online MK and SSBB games played aswell, including this site's community.

Definitely not kidding.  If you bought MK and SSBB primarily for online play then something must be wrong with you.   I love the way people here segregate individual words and comments out on those words and ignore the entire thread entirely, they must have eaten way too much bird droppings at birth, either that or there's too much glue in the basement.

I'm pointing out the words that reflect a stance in which you are looking down upon other people. Which also has minimal to do with MK selling past Halo...
So I have eaten to many bird droppings and sniffed/consumed to much glue huh? If that is your opinion of me...
Besides, nothing wrong with playing people online; afterall it is real people online aswell, you can talk to them and so forth.

Damn I didn't know this thread is still alive.  Nevermind, point taken.

Around the Network
fastyxx said:
the point is if you only read the later comments without the context of the original one, you're missing the intended message.

One of the reasons people play games online is because titles like Halo or World of Warcraft or HalfLife or Counterstrike or TF2 or Oblivion change and evolve over time whereas Mario Kart or Brawl or the like barely change from iteration to iteration, let alone within the context of a single title's release. That's the only point I'm trying to make.

It's not about Halo or 360 versus Wii or Halo versus Mario Kart.

Developers getting rewarded for expanding and servicing their games over months and years past launch is good for gamers, as we will get the same treatment in the future. Gamers buying the games that have relatively lazy updates, like Mario Kart Wii in many ways, in huge numbers is relatively BAD for gamers. There's no motivation to push the envelope.

Wouldn't we be in a better place as gamers if Portal sold significantly more than Hannah Montana's Makeup Party? Same idea, only for top sellers.

Funny you say that, I quit Counterstrike when I felt the patches destroyed what I loved about it. The WoW expansion coming out looks like it's pretty game-breaking as well (not that I play WoW atm).

Game updates are not required for games, it's only preference. In fact, patches were one thing console games never had to deal with until recently, and people were fine with it. It didn't stop people playing SSBM for years after it came out, even with imbalances it may have had. You're just taking a PC gaming standpoint - it seems the PC / HD console crowd have been merged together nowadays.

Besides, servicing games after they're out doesn't fit very well with Nintendo's business model. They'd prefer to polish the game first, release it, and be done with it - just like console gaming has always been before hard drives were crammed into them.