By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can piracy be a good thing?

LOL. I don't think I have ever heard such ridiculous claims from pro-piracy people. Metallica was made famous by piracy?!?!?! Piracy redistributes wealth?!?!?!

Around the Network

Hey, it's not easy to delude yourself. If pirates can trick themselves into thinking Warcraft was made famous by piracy, back in 1994 when most schools and homes didn't even have internet access, give them some props!

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Piracy in general is not a good thing. However small musical acts and directors that intentionally leek their work can get huge benefits in the long run. Its better to be known in some way then completely invisible.

Katilian said:
NightstrikerX said:
I heavily, Heavily disagree. Piracy is never a good thing, any pirate who claims to be a gamer using naught but pirated games needs to go to prison or get a hefty fine. Piracy damages the very gaming industry that I, and everyone else should pay 40-60 bucks a game for.

Don't wanna pay that much? Wait to buy it used or for it to drop in price.

I don't believe piracy was a hardware pusher. It does more damage than good.

This isn't directed at you personally, but I've always been curious about this (Warning: philosophy ahead!).

Why are people perfectly ok with buying used games, yet pirating is a horrid crime which people should suffer for? Neither gives the developer any more money (which is why DRM is being used to kill the used games market*).

For example lets take this to the extreme:

1) Only one person buys a copy of a game. They go home, crack it, upload it to the internet, and everyone else who wants to play it just pirates it. Total number of copies sold: 1.

2) Only one person buys a copy of a game. They go home, play it, finish it, then sell it on ebay to the next person, rinse and repeat for everyone who wants to play the game. Total number of copies sold: 1.

In both cases the developer has only sold one copy, yet morally (even for myself) 1 is 'bad' and 2 is 'ok'.

*On a side note, DRM removes the rights the consumer has in regards to copyright. If developers/publishers want people to respect their rights in regards to copyright, then perhaps they should repects the consumers rights.

That's an interesting thought. Obviously piracy is illegal and the developer wont see that money, but then again, they wouldn't see money if a game is resold time after time in the used market or even in the rental market. Sure, I suppose you could say that they'd at least see more with the used game business because I don't think a disk copy of a game is going to be circulated around as much as it could on the internet, but still.

I mean, I think you make a point in that it ought to sound weird when somebody condems piracy as stealing money from the developers and then talks about how he/she purchased a used game off of Ebay or Gamestop. Or there's the rental market like I've been taking advantage of. With Gamefly for just over a year now, I've been able to play through tons of games, without having to spend $60 on each of them. Does that mean I'm a bad person?

FaRmLaNd said:
Piracy in general is not a good thing. However small musical acts and directors that intentionally leek their work can get huge benefits in the long run. Its better to be known in some way then completely invisible.

I agree with this.  Piracy in general is wrong, but we can all think of a few specifics where it's good.    There's always an exception.  So the question "Can" piracy be a good thing?  Of course, just like speeding, murder, war, etc.

Also, "stealing" is the wrong label to give piracy, as it's easily attacked by pro-pirates since copying doesn't fit the exact definition of theft.  Piracy is devaluation of a product, just like lowering someone's land value by polluting.

The best way to fight it is by enforcing the laws we have in place.  Law enforcement needs to monitor trackers and give out tickets like they would for speeding.  It won't stop it, but it will make it too risky or difficult for most.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Around the Network

I'm just curious to how places like Gamefly and Blockbuster can charge you and give away someone's intellectual property but doing so for free is bad. If pirating is bad renting is worse. Developers still "lose" tons of money to no one buying games at least pirates aren't trying to call what they do a legitimate business.

If retail games were no more than $5 to $10 a pop people wouldn't feel the need to pirate(as much). Just like the digital song download prices are good at about .99 to 1.99 per song. If game makers keep overshooting consumer demands with such high end prices for what often amount to low end products then i can't say i blame people for pirating.

nitekrawler1285 said:

I'm just curious to how places like Gamefly and Blockbuster can charge you and give away someone's intellectual property but doing so for free is bad.

Because Gamefly and Blockbuster legitimately purchase every copy they rent out, and don't make new ones. They don't steal in the way that pirates do.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Millennium said:
nitekrawler1285 said:

I'm just curious to how places like Gamefly and Blockbuster can charge you and give away someone's intellectual property but doing so for free is bad.

Because Gamefly and Blockbuster legitimately purchase every copy they rent out, and don't make new ones. They don't steal in the way that pirates do.

So do the people who get and crack the games they put on the internet, but they don't charge you to play that game. 

Millennium said:
nitekrawler1285 said:

That doesn't change the fact that developers are "hurt" over less sales, while they(GF BB) make money off someone else's hard work.  Let's buy 20 copies and rent it out thousands of times.  That's SOOO much better than pirating.

nitekrawler1285 said:

I'm just curious to how places like Gamefly and Blockbuster can charge you and give away someone's intellectual property but doing so for free is bad. If pirating is bad renting is worse. Developers still "lose" tons of money to no one buying games at least pirates aren't trying to call what they do a legitimate business.

If retail games were no more than $5 to $10 a pop people wouldn't feel the need to pirate(as much). Just like the digital song download prices are good at about .99 to 1.99 per song. If game makers keep overshooting consumer demands with such high end prices for what often amount to low end products then i can't say i blame people for pirating.

If games were $5 to $10 a pop, there would be no gaming industry because everybody in the industry would be BANKRUPT.

Developers put a lot of time and money into games. Quite often, they are good games. But even if they aren't, that means you can take them for free? You can take somebody else's hard work and give it out free of charge? How could anybody consider that ethical?

In that way, say a few lawnmowers are bad. Does that give you the right to go into Wal-mart, steal a whole bunch of lawn mowers are give them out free? No.

Renting is entirely different. That would be paying for the lawnmowers and letting people borrow them for a little money.

Besides, they'll be able to pirate the PS3 eventually, but by then the PS5 will be out so nobody will care anymore.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective