By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can piracy be a good thing?

invisible29 said:
i agree cuz in asia games are soooooo overpriced so people rarely but them and they buy pirated games. Most of the people in asia buy pirated games. If they are no pirated games for a console,most of the people wont buy the console.

+1

That is very true.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network
craighopkins said:
Piracy is stealing. And thats a bad thing.

Overall?

No... it's about Zerosum.

In isolated cases? Yeah, but it's rare...

Picko said:

One thing piracy does do is lower prices, via creating competition. I'm not saying whether it is ethical or not but economically thats an effect of piracy.

Piracy doesn't lower prices.  It is not competition.  You cannot compete with free.  There was a gamer in this thread that thought you should pay $5 for a brand new retail version of MGS4.  LOL.  That's what happens is what price competes with free?  In the end none do.  People pirate because they don't want to pay the money.  What piracy does lead to is increased prices because the consumer pool shrinks and evasive DRM to prevent people from pirating software. 

I don't pirate games or anything else, but that various industry lobby groups have, through their long running PR campaigns, convinced a sizable portion of the public that piracy is stealing pisses me off. Piracy is not stealing. Stealing/theft involves taking property from its rightful owner. Piracy is copyright infringement. Copyright infringement involves not paying royalties due for utilizing a protected IP.

In all but the smallest cases theft is a criminal matter that carries the threat of jail time. In all but the largest cases copyright infringement is a civil matter.

You say tomatoe I say tomatoe.  It doesn't really matter whether you think it's stealing or not.  The current verbage is that it is stealing due to the companies loss of the ability to use their IPs in the way they deem fit and the loss of future profits.  Your last sentence is a moot point.  Within 5 years people will be serving time for piracy. 

The bolded parts are flat-out lies. The Wii was hacked right around launch and modchips are widely available. DS games are very easy to pirate. The cards themselves can be used by basically anyone, and depending on where you live, you can buy them locally. Even if not there are multiple reliable websites in canada I could buy from and have a card by next week.

It took a few years for there to be a no-swap modchip for the ps2 (to play copied dvd and cd games) and it was an insanely hard install. Compare this to the first modchip available for the wii which was available shortly after launch had about 6 solder points and was absurdly easy to install. The newer Wii's are somewhat harder but still easy as pie compared to the 20+ wire installs needed for self-booting copied games in the midst of the ps2's life

Thanks for proving my point.  PS2 wasn't easy to mod for three years.  Xbox (easily piratable) and gamecube were dead in the water by then.  I.E.  Piracy does not lead to market domination. 

And honestly, even if they sold Wii mod chips at best buy 99% of the people with a Wii would not open up their Wii and solder this chip to the system.  I.E.  Wii was easy for you to MOD, not easy for the 30 M of the Wii's customer base.  Not the reason the Wii is leading. 

However, despite people stealing many companies manage to make a profit.  Pirates will steal no matter what. 

No they won't.  What you'll see is ever increasing invasive DRM until it is impossible to pirate.  Then they'll purchase games like most other people.  I've skipped meals before to save up for games.  Pirates would find a way to play games.  Just not as much as they otherwise would have played.

Piracy would not be an issue if greedy corporations did not over charge consumers. People who tend to pirate software are those who can not afford to pay ridiculously high prices.

70% of software loses money at current prices.  Electronic Arts lost $95 M in the second quarter on sales revenue that doubled from the prior year.  You think it's a rediculuos price but nobody is making any money. 

For all you people that do say pirating = used games.

1.  Their is a very big difference.  Regardless if you think they are the same, the law is black and white, buying used games = legal, pirating games = illegal. 

2.  Used games overcome all issues brought up during piracy. 

a.  You can try out a game for a short period of time for a fee.  Thus you don't have to be stuck with a high price dud.

b.  You can pay less for a game than the retail price if you believe the retail price is the market price of that game.

However, people will still not use these things because piracy is free.  Again we see piracy is not competition.

3.  Used games make publishers a ton of money.  Piracy does not.  Blockbuster has over 8,000 stores.  If they buy 3+ copies of a game those sales are huge.  Plus as someone mentioned they pay more than $50 a title and have to buy a special licence to rent.  Obviously their are a ton of other rental places too.  For big releases, it would be easy to grab over 100,000 in sales just to rental places.  Plus it gives your customers a legal way to try the game leading to a full price purchase.  Their is no reason for a pirater to pay full price for a game because they receive all benefits immediately. 

no it can't be a good thing

Around the Network

@cleveland: Your point is most certainly in doubt since you were using lies to try and make your case. why did the post i quoted of yours contain so much BS? either you are intentionally trying to mislead people or are absolutely clueless about modchips/flash cards. Just to reiterate:

- You don't need a multi-thousand dollar device to burn wii games.
- The Wii and DS are both "pirateable".
- The PS2/PS1 aren't "easy" to pirate in comparison to the Wii/DS.
- The "only hardcore gamers pirate games" isn't entirely true. While they may do it more frequently, a user who has some basic knowledge of computers can easily figure out what's required.
- DS Flash cards can be bought in some shopping malls and many legitimate sites based in north america. Using one is about as hard as transferring photos to and from a memory card.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

cleveland124 said:

Piracy doesn't lower prices.  It is not competition.  You cannot compete with free.  There was a gamer in this thread that thought you should pay $5 for a brand new retail version of MGS4.  LOL.  That's what happens is what price competes with free?  In the end none do.  People pirate because they don't want to pay the money.  What piracy does lead to is increased prices because the consumer pool shrinks and evasive DRM to prevent people from pirating software. 

Of course it's competition. It competes directly with the instore product. It is therefore competition. That's not really debatable.

Firstly its worth recognising that pirating software isn't free. There's the cost of the disc and the time spent buring it. If you're purchasing it then there's the purchasing cost and then of course there the cost of getting caught. Then there's the advantages of purchasing a real copy, there's the packaging and many games have special editions with items you otherwise couldn't obtain.

People pirate because the cost of obtaining a pirated version plus the advantages of obtaining a real version is less than what the retail version sells for. In short, they do so because they benefit more from the lower price than they are harmed by the lower quality (or less features). Naturally to combat this prices are dropped to lower the difference between the two, which helps make pirating software less beneficial.

Furthermore, pirating doesn't increase prices. Stealing from a shop raises prices because stores now have to cover the purchase price of something they no longer can sell. But piracy is already built into stores purchasing decisions - they don't have to cover for copies they don't get to sell. Therefore they only have to compete with the pirated software, which they do through lower prices. 

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 
bugrimmar said:

i wonder about the strange effect of piracy on console sales, as it seems that if a machine's software is heavily pirated, it tends to get a dramatic boost in hardware sales.

the playstation 1 and 2's format made it really easy for people to mass produce their software, and it seems the hardware was gobbled up even despite that fact. it looks to me that piracy actually pushed harware sales.

in contrast, the playstation 3 isn't realistically a haven for piracy and its having a hard time penetrating the market. could the lack of pirated software be the cause?

or am i just being delusional in thinking that piracy can actually be a good thing..

This is not a site where you will get an ubiased discussion. You would look for people who are philisophical business and theory. Most who do not question will only answer authority answers. The flip side are self justified opinions.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Go self justified opinions! we go FTW!

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Well, in Brasil the ps2 dominated due to piracy. I have 10-$20 games at the corner of my house, but I still buy the official copy sometimes( is $60), when I like the game very much and want to retribute to the devs. But the true is that if I were to pay full price I wouldn´t have half of the games I have. I woudn´t have the money for it. A ps2 game was $120 back in 2000-2006 period and the sku was $500-$600 depending on the dollar price. So most people aquired it on trips and then pirated most of the games, buying only a few.
Piracy does help hw, doesn´t help the industry and help customers who otherwise woudn´t be able to enjoy fully the gamming experience. The best way to avoid piracy would be to relesase the game free, but incomplete and then sell a website admission, were you could get the rest of the game and monthly patches adding to the game. This way you would atract quite a lot of people in the first minute and if the game was any good they would buy the admission.

VASCO DA GAMA CAMPEÃO DA COPA DO BRASIL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS VASCÃO

VICE É O CARALH*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E