By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you like classics?

I am big into classics.

I guess it depends on when you started gaimng. If your a "younger gamer" and started with the new systems then I guess the old games would seem borish and dumb. It's kinda like movies. The old drama just comes across as stale nowadays. The sarcasm wasnt the same, and overall storytelling techniques are much quicker nowdays. There is a psycological difference in people who view movies nowdays as opposed to back then.
Anyways, yeah I think people like me who played those games back in the day and still cherish their libraries are always going to hold the classics in a greater standard than the new. One of the ways I prefer the original Legend of Zelda, to the new ones. Metroid as well. (*note never beat Super Metroid, will Wii it eventually), is the fact that the playability was much more open ended. You could beat the boss with whatever strategy YOU came up with. You could skip areas or run through others , there were only a couple key item necissary for beating the game. New games don't do that. You have to sit and watch it, like its a movie, and newer versions are like taking piano lessons, now you hit the wrong button, start over, do this, THEN that. NO, it must be done this way. Go back, bend over, cough. So in that respect I'd much rather fire up my NES rather than play Wind waker. Hope that helps to give you some insight, good thread.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Around the Network

Classic cars are the same. They are crappy by today's standards but they were cutting edge back in the day. That is why people enjoy them and it brings back memories for a lot of people.

yeah, I like classic games. I grew up with them and they have so many great memories.

I agree with one of the posters above about open ended gameplay in classics vs. new games and how they baby the player. If you take almost any action game from the 8 or 16 bit eram you'll see they are hard. Also, a lot of the times you are not told exactly what to do so you can figure somethings o0ut yourself. It's liberating. I also enjoy how if you die, you get penalizd by having to play the entire level over instead of loading your last save point. Dying had reprecussions. Getting to and beating bosses had some weight to it because you knew if you messed up you would have to play everyting again and then bring your best fight to a boss.

I enjoy newer games, but for different reasons. New games are more about the experience, the storytelling with new graphics and the immersion. The challenge is gone, but the experience is what I think newer games are about. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I do miss old games for the challenge factor.

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.

YEs....i mean, who doesnt??? Thats why i already have like 15 VC games, and waiting for the storage solution to get more. You wouldnt believe how many times have i finished super mario bros. 3 for the NES in my wii xD

Around the Network
DKHustlin said:

I agree with one of the posters above about open ended gameplay in classics vs. new games and how they baby the player. If you take almost any action game from the 8 or 16 bit eram you'll see they are hard. Also, a lot of the times you are not told exactly what to do so you can figure somethings o0ut yourself. It's liberating. I also enjoy how if you die, you get penalizd by having to play the entire level over instead of loading your last save point. Dying had reprecussions. Getting to and beating bosses had some weight to it because you knew if you messed up you would have to play everyting again and then bring your best fight to a boss.

I enjoy newer games, but for different reasons. New games are more about the experience, the storytelling with new graphics and the immersion. The challenge is gone, but the experience is what I think newer games are about. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I do miss old games for the challenge factor.

I too enjoy games to be hard, and feel that they're too easy nowadays. I'm a huge fan of the Fire Emblem series, and it has always been a challenge to me. I've played 10-6 (backwards, I decided to do that), and am now playing 5. It's damn impossible. In FE7, you're essentially doing what the computer tells you for the first 5 missions, before it slowly becomes a challenge in the later part of the game.

In FE5, you need a miracle to finish a single map - and personally, I feel it may be even more fun than the others.

In a way, this is one of my problems with DKC, SMW and SMB 3. They aren't difficult enough, before they suddenly need so much precision that I can't make it (I've finished DKC now though).

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Yea, I've always wanted to try the Fire Emblems because I herad they were hard. And I loved the precision aspect of the old platformers like SMW and DKC because it made it actually challenging. A tough jump that was placed later on in the level, away from any checkpoints, was actually a tough jump because you knew what the reprecussions would be if you missed.

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.

Even I remember the trials of Fire Emblem. In the later stages, make one false move and youre liable to lose units(which is a big thing).

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach