By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will WII sales die down?

The question I have yet to see answered is why would Wii sales die down? (Obviously, besides the end of a generation)

By the end of Christmas 2008 there will be (over) 85 Million current generation consoles sold, and practically everyone who you would consider a core (console) gamer will have already bought at least one of these systems. From this point on, most of the new console sales will be made up of "casual" gamers, new gamers, replacement systems, and multi-console owners.  In what way do these demographics benefit the HD consoles?

Around the Network

when nintendo declares it so, gets tired of money

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Fernando said:
bouzane said:
I think Wii sales will slow once the PS3 reaches a price point of $300. When the PS3 finally gets the price cuts it needs to compete is difficult to predict though.

But by the time the PS3 reach the $300, Nintendo could easily sell the Wii for $150...

One thing people forget is that Nintendo has still all the cards... just look what Nintendo can still do, and that PS3 and 360 has already done:

Price cut, twice.

Give expensive games for free (MGS4, Marvel and Forza, etc...)

New colors

Gift cards

Miscrosoft and Sony already used a lot of cards, and Nintendo is still outselling both, without price cut, without bundles, without discounts, without new colors...

Truth.

Considering the Wii's driving dynamic is the genius of expanding the video game market's threshold of possible consumers, I don't see why people try and hold it to the narrow standards of other consoles which rely on the userbases of previous generations.

The Wii isn't a fad, the Wii is essentially to Video Games as the Ipod was to portable music. It's this new standard of convenient, efficient and affordable technology put into sleek packages that is taking the technological markets by storm.

Onimusha12 said:
Considering the Wii's driving dynamic is the genius of expanding the video game market's threshold of possible consumers, I don't see why people try and hold it to the narrow standards of other consoles which rely on the userbases of previous generations.

The Wii isn't a fad, the Wii is essentially to Video Games as the Ipod was to portable music. It's this new standard of convenient, efficient and affordable technology put into sleek packages that is taking the technological markets by storm.

Excellent analogy.  I'm not sure why I haven't seen this posted before.  There are so many parallels:

1. Intuitive interface (iPod wheel/menus vs WiiMote)

2. Elegant, compact design

3. Compelling software (iTunes vs Nintendo 1st-party titles, as well as "party" games)

Around the Network

The Wii ... slowdown ...

That does not compute.

There is no seen Wii slow down.

Peak sales will are still in the future.

Plateau sales begin in 2010.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

I stopped trying to predict the Wii's peak after April 2007. It could already have peaked, and because we have no way of measuring demand past the point where it sells out we would have no way of knowing it had happened.

To be honest, I don't think it has peaked yet, and I believe that of this generation's consoles (Wii, 360, PS3) the Wii will be the last to peak and eventually decline. It must happen sooner or later, of course, but there is simply no way to know when.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

When Wii Music succeeds or not, and make hardware spikes on japan or not then this is the time when we can assume if the Wii loses steam or isnt. Remember the Wii fit phenomenon that caused the sales spike of the Wii?

I think thats what Ninty is doing right now thats why the sales was silent after July, after Wii Music is announced in the public the sales was just ordinary. And dont forget Animal Crossing Wii, so I cant conclude on what will happened on the sales of the Wii so far...

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

I think my grandchildren will still be debating when the Wii will slow down. Just kidding.

I think it's going to have legs for a long while for three reasons:

1. Nintendo hasn't had a single price cut and they've made money on every unit sold so they can drop the price if sales begin to lag
2. I believe the interface is ingenious and is dramatically expanding the pool of console buyers
3. Nintendo doesn't have to worry about their biggest developers abandoning the platform... they are their own biggest developer

Viper1 said:
Wii sales will die down May 22, 2009. I know this because I'm from the future and it's the only frikkin way possible to know when Wii will die down before the next generation starts.

Isn't that around the time Wii Sports Resort is coming out?

Does Wii Motion Plus kill the Wii?!?