By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So has anyone bought WipeOut HD from PSN today?

halil23 said:
The Fury said:
Torillian said:
It's a lot of fun and an extremely beautiful game. I also really enjoy how they used audio. That said, I only wish there was more to it, more tracks essentially. Not enough of a great thing I suppose.

They could easily add extra tracks at a later date, could they not?

So no custom musics???

I was talking about the actual tracks, as in the things you go round...was Torillian not talking about that? :?

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

You were right Fury.

and I have since read some rumors about track packs, but I still think the original game should have had a few more to begin with.

Wipeout HD is an awesome game. Custom sound tracks as well. Online is great - especially with lots of players - utter chaos! :D

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

Have we any ideas of sales figures at all? I mean, Sony don't usually give out their sales for PSN but online stats might give as a least a minimum.

Hmm, pie.

Just got the game. I couldn't wait for the PSN cards especially with all the positive reviews and feedback from people who played it. The game is incredible. The graphics are amazing, great music and track. I love the zone mode. This is my first WipEout game, and recommend it.

Around the Network

^^^^I honestly don't understand what zone mode is

can some one let me know?

^its by far the best mode in wipeout hd. The point is to stay alive for as long as possible and get through as many zones as possible. However everytime you reach a new zone the speed will increase, so basically you will be driving in insane speeds after a while. If you also manage a perfect lap your ship will get a small amount of energy and you might survive longer. Notice how the track changes according to the music and stuff it really is awesome.

There's a trophy for 75 zones which imo seems nearly impossible. I have only reached 35 myself....

masterb8tr said:
^its by far the best mode in wipeout hd. The point is to stay alive for as long as possible and get through as many zones as possible. However everytime you reach a new zone the speed will increase, so basically you will be driving in insane speeds after a while. If you also manage a perfect lap your ship will get a small amount of energy and you might survive longer. Notice how the track changes according to the music and stuff it really is awesome.

There's a trophy for 75 zones which imo seems nearly impossible. I have only reached 35 myself....

This. Also the color changes with different zones, and they get very distracting, but they are so beautiful to watch. Your craft accelerates by itself, so all you have to do is navigate through it avoiding the walls. There's also a trophy for 20 perfect zones. The most I've gotten was 2 perfect zones.

^20 perfect zones? LMAO no way man, no way

Happy New Year! By GMT it's now 2009, and to kick off the new year, we are giving you our staff's picks for our favorite games of 2008 accross all platforms.  Please note: These are, and always will be, opinions. I would be very surprised if any two of you shared the exact same opinions on all these categories, so don't expect to share them with us. We don't expect you to share our opinions. If everyone had the same opinions on gaming it would be boring. Post respectfully, and enjoy the lists. 

Best Third-Person Shooter:  Metal Gear Solid 4

Metal Gear Solid 4 just edges out Gears of War 2 in the third person shooter category.  It's interesting to see it do so well here, considering this is the first game in the franchise that has ever had enough of a shooting aspect to qualify for placement in this category, but MGS4 did a good job with its third-person shooting mechanics and is our choice for TPS Game of the Year.

Runner-up:  Gears of War 2

Reader's Choice:  Metal Gear Solid 4

Best First-Person Shooter:  Left 4 Dead

Left 4 Dead takes the first-person shooter award with its unique approach to the genre. Rather than add a bunch of levels that you will play the same way over and over, Valve has created a game where each experience is different.  With the promise of more levels in the future by both Valve and the mod community, this is a first person shooter that will be enjoyed for many years to come.

Runner-up:  Resistance 2

Reader's Choice:  Left 4 Dead

Best Arcade Shooter:  Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2

One of the most addictive genres in gaming, the arcade shooter, had a very strong representation in 2008.  At the top of a bevy of great titles was Geometry Wars 2, with many new modes and unique additions to the gameplay that set it apart from and above both its predecessor and its competitors in the genre.

Runner-up:  Everyday Shooter

Reader's Choice:  Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2

Best Action Game:  No More Heroes

A surprise upset in the Action genre, No More Heroes beats out Devil May Cry 4 in both the staff and user votes.  As a unique tribute to old 80s video games, and a funny mocking approach to the bloody action and anime games released these days, No More Heroes earned itself the top spot among a lot of strong action releases this year.

Runner-up:  Devil May Cry 4

Reader's Choice:  No More Heroes

Best Adventure Game:  Prince of Persia

Just edging out Okami, the beautiful Prince of Persia took the top spot for Adventure games.  A great story and an absolutely gorgeous original setting make it a strong representation of the adventure genre.  The characters are well-balanced, and the relationship between the Prince and Elika is developed extremely well; especially considering the game lets you choose the order in which you progress the story. 

Runner-up:  Okami

Reader's Choice:  Okami

Best Platformer:  LittleBigPlanet

Not much of a surprise here.  The adorable sackboys take the award for best platformer by storm.  LittleBigPlanet's unique take on level design wins it a spot in the hearts of gamers, and the absolute joy of jumping around with four buddies in the level you made together is unmatched by anything else this year in the platforming genre. 

Runner-up:  de Blob

Reader's Choice:  LittleBigPlanet

Best Fighter:  Super Smash Bros. Brawl

With a level of variety unmatched by anything else in the genre, Super Smash Bros. Brawl stormed into the Fighting Game of the Year position. Brawl comes equipped with a massive unique character roster, 41 different playable stages, a stage creator, and more game modes than anything else in the history of the fighting genre.  It will be hard to take the crown from this king of fighting games.

Runner-up:  Super Street Fighter II Turbo: HD Remix

Reader's Choice:  Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Best Racing Game:  Mario Kart Wii

Of all the genres in gaming, none are more dependant on great local multiplayer than the racing genre.  Mario Kart Wii takes the fun of local racing to a whole new level. The Wii Wheel adds a whole new dimension to the chaotic fun, and the speed and crazy chaos of items is still in tact.  If great gamres are fun games, Mario Kart is among the best. 

Runner-up:  MotorStorm: Pacific Rift

Reader's Choice:  Mario Kart Wii

Best JRPG:  Valkyria Chronicles

Valkyria Chronicles just edges out The World Ends With You for this award.  Valkyria Chronicles approaches the genre with a style different from most.  Rather than large overworlds filled with towns, explorations, and characters, VC spends most of its focus on the combat, and the unique development of it's very good story through its storybook style. The addition of full-team experience and a class-wide leveling system eliminates the issue many other RPGs have of unbalanced leveling, and no grinding is ever necessary to beat the game.

Runner-up:  The World Ends With You

Reader's Choice:  Valkyria Chronicles

Best WRPG:  Fallout 3

Fallout 3 may not have been able to keep every Fallout fan happy, but it is a great dystopian RPG nonetheless. The VATS system is engaging and fun, the world is beautiful and detailed, and there is enough to do to keep you playing for hours. With the recent release of the extremely well-designed GECK mod tools by Bethesda on PC, you can make the game into whatever you want!

Runner-up:  Mass Effect

Reader's Choice:  Fallout 3

Best MMORPG:  World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

One of the greatest challenges in gaming falls into the laps of the MMO developers.  That challenge is to keep adding content for the long-time players, while keeping the game fun and accessible to those who are new or do not spend as much time in the game.  Wrath of the Lich King does a brilliant job of this, with faster leveling, tons of dungeons playable by anyone, lots of new single-player content like daily quests, and a cinematic experience previously unmatched in any MMORPG.  If you were still waiting for an excuse to jump in, this is it. The Lich King awaits you.

Runner-up:  Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria

Reader's Choice:  World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

Best Music and Peripheral:  Guitar Hero: World Tour

If you thought Rock Band had no competition in full-band games from the Guitar Hero franchise, you were wrong.  World Tour wins both the staff and reader picks for music game of the year.  The game comes equipped with a very good track list composed of nothing but master recordings, an improved guitar and drumset over all other models in the genre before it, and much better single-player gameplay than its competitor.  Rock on Activision. We're still playing.

Runner-up:  Rock Band 2

Reader's Choice:  Guitar Hero: World Tour

Best Strategy Game:  Valkyria Chronicles

Valkyria Chronicles wins another one. The strategy RPG is not a genre with a lot of room for change... or so we thought.  Valkyria Chronicles pulls all the great features from the other games in the genre, and innovates with some of its own.  The mix of real-time and turn-based strategy creates an experience unlike any other on the market. If you like strategy games, Valkyria Chronicles is a must-own.

Runner-up:  Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Best Simulation Game:  Wii Fit

The word "unique" doesn't even begin to describe Wii Fit.  Truly a game like nothing else in gaming, Wii Fit creates and creates a strong, fun, and surprisingly effective excersize regiment for the gamer. The balance board it comes with has already seen some creative use in other games in the industry, and it will be interesting to see if anyone comes up with a competitor to this enjoyable fitness game.

Runner-up:  Animal Crossing

Reader's Choice:  Wii Fit

Best Sports Game:  Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip

A surprise upset in the sports category, Shawn White: Road Trip on Wii takes the award.  One of the above mentioned games taking advantage of the balance board, Shawn White is a blast to play on the device. Someday Nintendo may release a 1080 game that uses the balance baord, but until then, this is the snowboarding experience to be had on game systems.

Runner-up:  Madden NFL 09

Reader's Choice:  Fifa 09

Best Original Downloadable Game:  World of Goo

Probably the most unexpected hit of the year, World of Goo topped the list for downloadable titles.  A game made by 4 people in the course of a couple years, World of Goo is the perfect example of style, innovation, adn gameplay over graphics. Goo is characterized by brilliant humor, clever puzzles, and a style so awesome words cannot describe it. There is nothing like World of Goo on the market, and if you don't own a Wii grab it on PC.  You will not regret it.

Runner-up:  Mega Man 9

Reader's Choice: 
Braid

Best Graphics:  Metal Gear Solid 4

To win the graphics award a game had to have both style and technical prowess.  Metal Gear Solid 4 is not the best from a technical standpoint (that goes to our runner up), but it has a combination of amazingly high-quality visuals and a unique style of its own that makes it our choice for best graphics of 2008.

Runner-up:  Crysis: Warhead

Reader's Choice:  Metal Gear Solid 4

Best Musical Score:  Super Smash Bros. Brawl

The winner of this award should come as no surprise.  258 songs. No, that's not a typo. 258 songs from some of the best composers and games in the history of the industry, ranging from classic midi to beautiful and flowing orchestrated scores.  Add that to the fact that the play sequence is fully adjustable in the in-game levels, and every song can be used in custom levels, and you have a Music Score that may never be surpassed. 

Runner-up:  LittleBigPlanet

Reader's Choice:  
Metal Gear Solid 4

Most Innovative:  LittleBigPlanet

If you had asked people a year ago what defined the Playstation 3's game library, innovation certainly would not have been the answer.  It still probably wouldn't be, but now there is at least one game that stands out as one of the leaders in that department.  An entire game based around a community creating and sharing games, LBP is a shining example for future games to follow.

Runner-up:  World of Goo

Reader's Choice:  LittleBigPlanet

Biggest Disappointment:  Grand Theft Auto IV

Most disappointing game does not mean worst game.  Most disappointing game is the game that fell the furthest from expectations.  Winner by a landslide both for the staff and readers was Grand Theft Auto IV. Many people were excited by the idea of a next-gen Grand Theft Auto game because they wanted to see what new crazy things could be done with the power fo the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.  Unfortunately, Rockstar decided that GTAIV was a time to remove features rather than add them, and dozens of the gameplay features that allowed the player freedom and creativity in the previous games in the franchise are now non-existent for the sake of a serious action game.  GTAIV is a good action game, but a bad GTA game.

Runner-up:  Spore

Reader's Choice: 
Grand Theft Auto IV

Best Game No One Played:  Valkyria Chronicles

It's always sad to see a fun and original game not do well. Unfortunately, this year was full of them. Standing out though was Valkyria Chronicles. Arguably one of the best SRPGs ever made, the game is still sitting at a pathetic 280,000 units, even after release in all 3 territories worldwide.  If you are a strategy or RPG fan, own a playstation 3, and haven't bought this game, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Runner-up:  Okami

Game of the Year:  LittleBigPlanet

And so it arrives.  Before I go on, I'd just like to point out that in our Staff vote LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid 4, Gears of War 2, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl were all very very close. So if you have any doubt this was a great year for any system owner, lose them now. Now moving on, LittleBigPlanet is our winner for Game of the Year in 2008, and for good reason.  It's fun.  Not just a little fun, but really freaking fun. It's fun alone, it's fun with friends, it's fun to watch, fun to listen to, fun to play, and fun to create. This is what gaming is supposed to be at its core. Congratulations LittleBigPlanet. You earned this award by being really freaking fun.

Runner-up:  Metal Gear Solid 4

Reader's Choice:  
Metal Gear Solid 4

Thanks for reading the VGChartz GotY list. These were our favorite games this year, and in a great year like 2008, I'm sure many of you had different favorites.  There were too many great games this year to not have a variety of opinions on the subject.  We know a couple things were missed this year on the lists, but this was our very first Game of the Year.  I only hope 2009 is an even better year! If you didn't already check them out, there are links to all our previous lists below.

Nintendo DS Game of the Year

Sony Playstation Portable Game of the Year

PC Game of the Year

Playstation 3 Game of the Year

Xbox 360 Game of the Year

Wii Game of the Year

Happy new year VGChartz!