By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie Fils-Aime: "There is plenty on the horizon for the core gamer"

twingo said:
Nintendo has no big FPS or racer game do they ? neither do they seem to be getting one any time soon. So sorry if i don't just jump on what he says, like from the execs from Sony or MS those are just words from a suit.

Id rather hear it from Miyamoto, and perfect time was on stage at E3 to bad he was busy checking Reggies BMI to do so.

Mario kart... Sold more than 6 mil on Gamecube... And more then 10 mil on N64.

FPS... Metroid 3 is tending to become more FPS orientated because of the controller. Also: Geist 2 is in the works.

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network
twingo said:
Nintendo has no big FPS or racer game do they ? neither do they seem to be getting one any time soon. So sorry if i don't just jump on what he says, like from the execs from Sony or MS those are just words from a suit.

Id rather hear it from Miyamoto, and perfect time was on stage at E3 to bad he was busy checking Reggies BMI to do so.

If fps and racer games define hardcore for you then you are very narrow-minded, i'm sorry for you.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

It doesn't matter if Nintendo is secretive or not, logic is not the basis of most naysaying, rather, anti-nintendo folk will find some reason to dislike it. Even if Nintendo does become the mainstay of "Hardcore" people will argue its not as good of "Hardcore" as the Ps3/360 were.

This is also the point when insecure PS3/360 fans fearing the loss of their Hardcore status jump in to say, "Oh but Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime are Hard core, you should be satisfied with those." Ina belittleing manner as if convincing us that if such is the case it will somehow stop Nintendo from comming out with more games for Core and Hardcore gamers. Perhaps the most amusing thing about the Anti-Nintendo fans behave on this board is that the illusion that if they can convince enough people to believe what they want somehow will come true and all will be well for them. In fact, in lieu of the PS3's worrisome struggle the Sony fanboys remind somewhat of me the Nazis in the final desperate days of the war blasting propoganda over mega phones desptie the fact they knew very well it was over. The dream will stay alive though and so long as the PS3 (the Hitler of this analogy) gives them hope they will continue fighting until that icon is gone.

Now mind you this comparison was not to suggest Sony is the Third Reich or that all Sony fans are evil, it was merely a comparison to illustrate the events of desperation in a historical event mirroring those of a current day situation, WWII was the only example I could come up with so the Nazis were convenient. I am not calling anyone on this forum Nazis, Evil or Fascist.

Hardcore....it's really a very strange expression that seems to confuse everyone as it has no standard meaning.

Personally I'm looking for more indepth games on the Wii.
Does it matter if it is ninty or a 3rd party that creates a game on the platform?

I found it interesting how they called Metroid "the best FPS on any console", they really do seem to be pushing the idea that it is an FPS, and from the clips/demo shown it really does look like one. I haven't seen much adventure clips, anyone with links to some?

There are already a few racing and FPS games on the system with many more to come, the ones we have so far haven't been very impressive but with MoH being able to support 32 players online and metriod showing the way for good controls I have a great deal of hope :)

FF:CC:CB (are dev's in a race to create the longest possible title??) Looks very good and it seems to have some depth to it.
As for WiiFit, ummm I think I need it....

I'm really enjoying RE4 at the moment so I'm feeling good about the future of the Wii.

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Definitions:

- Casual: People who do not consider themselves gamers but enjoy aspects of gaming and for one reason or another have found themselves with a game console. Fitness and Lifestyle games appeal the most to this group as well as puzzle and Sim games.

- Core: The Core gamer is your typical gamer who enjoys the popular series that comprise the mainstay of gaming, franchises like Final Fantasy, Mario, Metroid, Ratchet & Clank, etc, etc. These are gamers who by and large support and play the popular games of every generation and typically the best recieved titles in terms of quality and gameplay. This gamer's taste runs the largest gambit of genres and can account for the vast majority of games on the market.

- Hardcore: Unless blood flies out of everything you shoot and cliche obsenities stream from the vocal cords of every lifeform capable of speech, the game will not satisfy this fan. Graphics are key to this type of gamer as they serve to excentuate the bits of flesh thrown from the gore of an explosion and the dull sheen of the gun-metal hue used to excentuate their 700lb weapon of choice. While hyper-realistic graphics for blood and gore are a must for this gamer ironically inconsistancies in physics like characters floating when they jump doesn't seem to really bother them at all. For this gamer the headphone set is key as it allows them to spew obsenities at the 13-year-old brats they're playing against online and to be honest, nothing excentuates the experience of blowing apart someone's genital region quite like tastefully illustrating your thoughts to them on the matter knowing there is actually another person on the end of your Microphone to take in your foul obsenity as they're being demasculated. Hardcore gamers prefer a variety of genres including but not limited to: FPS, Fantasy FPS, Sci-Fi FPS, Super Natural FPS, Steam Punk FPS, Film Noir FPS and Little Big Planet. Games in this market are typically niche and appeal to a far more limited crowd than Core but there is obvious gray area where the two tend to overlap.

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
You can't expect Nintendo to do it all...as a game developer anyway.

They put out a very wide variety of games as it is...it's not like Microsoft puts out any good platformers, or Sony puts out any good casual games...each of the 3 big companies have certain trends in game development, and Nintendo likes to be everyone-friendly, which means not too many uber-violent games...they leave that to the 3rd parties.

Which is respectable...they don't need to make every kind of game there is out there...Nintendo made the console, and then they made a ton of games to go on it, I don't think they're required to make every kind of game there is...though a true FPS developed by Nintendo certainly could be interesting...

Yeah Sony never makes casual games. Only the hardcore play Singstar and Buzz...... Home is totally where the FPS or death nuts are going to be.

Yes

Sony has a good variety in their first-party games and they put out a lot of them, but their best titles usually aren't as good as Nintendo's best titles.

If third-party would actually put some quality games in the under-represented genres on the Wii, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Red Steel was mediocre by most reports and it still sold almost a million worldwide, imagine how well an actual good FPS with lots of hype and marketing could do.

nintendo_fanboy said:
twingo said:

If fps and racer games define hardcore for you then you are very narrow-minded, i'm sorry for you.

Yahh your one to accuse anyone of being narrow-minded, go look up the definition of a hypocrite.

Iam just pointing out the genres Nntendo is lacking, neither do they have any core action game like God of war.  They are missing half the genres that core gamers love, and all of them sale prety damn well so theres no reason for Nintendo not to invest in them. 

twingo said:

Iam just pointing out the genres Nntendo is lacking, neither do they have any core action game like God of war.  They are missing half the genres that core gamers love, and all of them sale prety damn well so theres no reason for Nintendo not to invest in them. 

Yes, there is. It's not their type of games. That does not however mean they won't license them if 3rd parties make them. Sony also doesn't make games in every single genre, EA itself misses a couple of genres. What's the big deal? Companies should first and foremost stick at they're good at.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
KruzeS said:
twingo said:

Iam just pointing out the genres Nntendo is lacking, neither do they have any core action game like God of war. They are missing half the genres that core gamers love, and all of them sale prety damn well so theres no reason for Nintendo not to invest in them.

Yes, there is. It's not their type of games. That does not however mean they won't license them if 3rd parties make them. Sony also doesn't make games in every single genre, EA itself misses a couple of genres. What's the big deal? Companies should first and foremost stick at they're good at.

Well if its not their type of games the wii sadly will never be my type of console.