By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie Fils-Aime: "There is plenty on the horizon for the core gamer"

ckmlb said:

It's not just a matter of games being violent it's a matter of quality. Manhunt 2 and Umbrella Chronicles are definitely games I look forward to, but the same companies are bringing their bigger games to the other consoles which is why I wouldn't be able to rely on the Wii alone for my gaming fix.

Also the list is pretty short for good 3rd party support still, much shorter than what is on the PS3/360 and less appealing with the noteable exception of No More Heroes. All those games almost are spinoffs of the main games, the second tier. Also, Alone in the Dark as far as I know is coming to 360/PS3 and not Wii.

I'm not saying you should.

If anything, I'm saying that the Wii is probably better equiped for shooters than the Gamecube ever was. FPSs, TPSs, on and off rails, now with online too. And if the marketshare is there, maybe some other company will risk producing them. I know a few people that still play early versions of CS and just refuse to upgrade because of gameplay, so if the gameplay is there, maybe some nice games can have a shot at being successful.

Either way, it's not Nintendo's responsibility to produce every kind of game in existance. And if you bought a Wii, in all likelihood you didn't do so for shooters, so it's not like Nintendo is disapointing you for not producing them. Nor did you buy it for realistic racers. And no one sane was realistically expecting Nintendo itself to come up with these kinds of games - that's just not what core Nintendo is. Beyond that, it can't really be worse than the Gamecube now, can it?

The Wii already has some shooters in the works, I mentioned a few which seemed to me were considered the best (I wouldn't know, I'm not a fan of the genre myself). I did forget about No More Heros, which I am interested in. Also forgot about Red Steel 2, that some people seem to think will be good. I really don't know about realistic racers, though I imagine we won't have GT, Forza or PGR material - the physics of those seem to be beyond the Wii, and that matters a lot more than just graphics. Alone in the Dark 5 shows up scheduled for Wii in a couple of places, though it may be shafted (nothing official I guess) or be a lame port - but it does show up.

It's up for third parties to produce more of these games, as always. Nintendo is usually pictured as suffocating third parties with to many good games... well this is where they have their chance. And if Metroid (which isn't exactly a shooter) showcases some good gameplay, and if a couple of third party shooters like RE:UC do good enough, I'm guessing they will produce them. But if they don't, you really can't fault Nintendo for that. If Nintendo did a couple of shooters themselves you'd probably find them lame anyway.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Around the Network

I don't know if I'm a hardcore gamer or not, I've been playing games for the las 20 years and I know what I like (notice I said "I") and what I don't like, and I love NES and SNES, I kind of like GC and I don't like Wii, I feel stuid playing in front of my tv moving that much, I love to play for 6 hours, I'm not able to do it on the Wii.
"I" prefer the 360, but very soon the PS3 will be the best.
By the way I consider myself a sony hater and a nintendo and microsfot lover, but they are doing the right thing for "me".

Is flicking your wrist occasionally really that tiring to some people?

The perception that if you want your character to cartwheel, you have to cartwheel as well, is laughable. I was just playing Medal of Honor Vanguard comfortably on my couch just pointing and shooting. Nothing more.

BTW, that game's controls are pretty good and the options given for the bounding box and turn rate are fantastic. The graphics are a step up from Call of Duty Wii but not by much. As sick as I am of shooters, I had a blast playing it.

Current systems owned: Wii, 360. I'll get a PS3 when hell freezes over!... or when the price drops to a reasonable level. Whichever comes first.

Before this becomes too much attacking back and forth, I think there's something we can agree on:

For the moment, the PS3 and 360 both have stronger third party games on the way than the Wii does. We may very reasonably believe that will change, but for now, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Ninja Gaiden, Grand Theft Auto, and Devil May Cry are all seeing their sequels (not spin offs) on those two platforms.

This doesn't mean that I think the Wii has no good third party games coming for it, and I personally believe the system will see much stronger 3rd party support in the second half of this generation than either the PS3 or the 360. But for now, -- again, even if that reason may be poor planning (who knew the Wii was going to be this succesful?) -- the 360 and PS3 have the edge.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

In regards to the first post, can you give a link in which Reggie states tha abovementioned?

EDIT..Sorry i have missed the g4..i ll try to find the interview!!