By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie Fils-Aime: "There is plenty on the horizon for the core gamer"

twingo said:
KruzeS said:
twingo said:

Iam just pointing out the genres Nntendo is lacking, neither do they have any core action game like God of war. They are missing half the genres that core gamers love, and all of them sale prety damn well so theres no reason for Nintendo not to invest in them.

Yes, there is. It's not their type of games. That does not however mean they won't license them if 3rd parties make them. Sony also doesn't make games in every single genre, EA itself misses a couple of genres. What's the big deal? Companies should first and foremost stick at they're good at.

Well if its not their type of games the wii sadly will never be my type of console.

Do you really expect Nintendo to make games for every genre? That's what third parties are for. Sony and Microsoft doesn't even come close to developing as many games as Nintendo.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Around the Network

If Nintendo has alot of stuff for the core gamer, why not share all the dozens of IPs that you plan to create and bring back.

Better yet, how about a REAL Earthbound sequel? Reveal that and I'd never doubt Nintendo again. Until then.....

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Well if its not their type of games the wii sadly will never be my type of console.

You`ll eventually get one. $100 for it in some years is gonna be a steal :). Maybe even less.
Oh, and I think Nintendo IS going to TGS. They dominate Japan, they have to keep it that way.

twingo said:
nintendo_fanboy said:
twingo said:
Nintendo has no big FPS or racer game do they ? neither do they seem to be getting one any time soon. So sorry if i don't just jump on what he says, like from the execs from Sony or MS those are just words from a suit.

Id rather hear it from Miyamoto, and perfect time was on stage at E3 to bad he was busy checking Reggies BMI to do so.

If fps and racer games define hardcore for you then you are very narrow-minded, i'm sorry for you.

Yahh your one to accuse anyone of being narrow-minded, go look up the definition of a hypocrite.

Iam just pointing out the genres Nntendo is lacking, neither do they have any core action game like God of war. They are missing half the genres that core gamers love, and all of them sale prety damn well so theres no reason for Nintendo not to invest in them.

No "core action" game like God of War?  What, you mean like Prince of Persia?  They also put out Call of Duty 3 at launch, as well as a handful of racing games like Excite Truck and World Circuit 4x4.  They aren't missing any significant genres, they just don't flood the market with a thousand different WWII games or the 25th racing game for one series in four years.

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

twingo said:

Why!?

Isn't RE your type of game? Isn't Manhunt your type of game? Eternal Darkness? Alone in the Dark? Brothers in Arms? Medal of Honor?

Some with online multiplayer (one with confirmed 32-way online multiplayer), others that may play amazingly well light gun style. They're not even my type of game, and I'll eventually buy or rent a couple just to try them out.

So, tell me, just what the hell are you complaining about? That there aren't 50 of these games a year?

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Around the Network
KruzeS said:
twingo said:

Why!?

Isn't RE your type of game? Isn't Manhunt your type of game? Eternal Darkness? Alone in the Dark? Brothers in Arms? Medal of Honor?

Just what the hell are you complaining about? That there aren't 50 of these games a year?

It's because they're on the Wii, they have lost their hardcore status.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

What a surprise. So he's gonna come out and alienate people by saying you aren't the focus anymore.

Sure they got some core games coming (sequels) if they didn't have that much it would be an even worse backlash.

But where are the new projects? They are shifting focus, they will probably still have core games just less and less of them over time compared to the cheap to make and more profitable casual centric games.

Sequels to big franchises will come out later and new IPs will start up very rarely. This is all just predicting because of the ease and cheapness of making the casual games on the Wii as opposed to making big games. It just makes sense from a business perspective:

if your cheap games are outselling the more expensive games, why make more big games?

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

KruzeS said:
twingo said:

Why!?

Some with online multiplayer (one with confirmed 32-way online multiplayer), others that may play amazingly well light gun style. They're not even my type of game, and I'll eventually buy or rent a couple just to try them out.

So, tell me, just what the hell are you complaining about? That there aren't 50 of these games a year?

It's not just a matter of games being violent it's a matter of quality. Manhunt 2 and Umbrella Chronicles are definitely games I look forward to, but the same companies are bringing their bigger games to the other consoles which is why I wouldn't be able to rely on the Wii alone for my gaming fix.

Also the list is pretty short for good 3rd party support still, much shorter than what is on the PS3/360 and less appealing with the noteable exception of No More Heroes. All those games almost are spinoffs of the main games, the second tier. Also, Alone in the Dark as far as I know is coming to 360/PS3 and not Wii. 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
What a surprise. So he's gonna come out and alienate people by saying you aren't the focus anymore.

Sure they got some core games coming (sequels) if they didn't have that much it would be an even worse backlash.

But where are the new projects? They are shifting focus, they will probably still have core games just less and less of them over time compared to the cheap to make and more profitable casual centric games.

Sequels to big franchises will come out later and new IPs will start up very rarely. This is all just predicting because of the ease and cheapness of making the casual games on the Wii as opposed to making big games. It just makes sense from a business perspective:

if your cheap games are outselling the more expensive games, why make more big games?

First, Nintendo could of course just said nothing at all. That's their usual MO; just be secretive and silent. Reggie didn't have to come out, but he did, and he said that they care about core gamers.

Second, you're really shifting the argument here, Ck. Before, the argument was: "Nintendo doesn't care about core gamers. They aren't producing any core titles anymore." Now, you're saying: "Okay, Nintendo is still making their core titles. But where are MORE core titles? Where are new hardcore IPs?"

Those are two separate arguments, and the second one -- the argument you are now using -- does not suggest that Nintendo has abandoned core gamers, just that the core gamer demographic has stabilized in size. Producing a good deal more hardcore games on top of their already strong selection would make sense if the number of hardcore gamers was growing, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Nintendo will still probably produce a few new hardcore IPs this generation (Disaster is confirmed to still be in production, for example), but the market is already saturated. It's not an area of growth, so sustaining current levels of game production for that market is reasonable.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:

First, Nintendo could of course just said nothing at all. That's their usual MO; just be secretive and silent. Reggie didn't have to come out, but he did, and he said that they care about core gamers.

Second, you're really shifting the argument here, Ck. Before, the argument was: "Nintendo doesn't care about core gamers. They aren't producing any core titles anymore." Now, you're saying: "Okay, Nintendo is still making their core titles. But where are MORE core titles? Where are new hardcore IPs?"

Those are two separate arguments, and the second one -- the argument you are now using -- does not suggest that Nintendo has abandoned core gamers, just that the core gamer demographic has stabilized in size. Producing a good deal more hardcore games on top of their already strong selection would make sense if the number of hardcore gamers was growing, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Nintendo will still probably produce a few new hardcore IPs this generation (Disaster is confirmed to still be in production, for example), but the market is already saturated. It's not an area of growth, so sustaining current levels of game production for that market is reasonable.

Give it up Bodhesatava, it is ckmlb that you are talking too. When we proved that Nintendo is making the same old core games he left the other thread. ckmlb doesn't answer any questions... mayby I should ask one more question any way:

Why mr Ckmlb are you so upset about Nintendo and how they decide to make business? I mean did you even own a GameCube? If yes what is the f***ing problem with the autums line up?

EDIT and if your last statment was true why did they make a new Zelda for the DS?

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!