By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can the wii hit 50 million by the end of 2008?

We don't know when supplies are gonna pick up. I would assume it will be this month or next but when it does it will clear 1/2 mil per week till after march. It will reach 45 mil by 09

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
super_etecoon said:
leo-j said:
@Etecoon

My official prediction was 38 million by the way

No it wasn't.

It was 29-33.

WTF?

No my prediction was I believe somewhere from 33-37million or something

I most certainly wasnt in the 20 million range..

what?

Wasn't your prediction that the Wii will die when GTA 4 comes out....so how is your prediction 37 million?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I don't think many people expect 50 million, and to expect such a thing is to invite dissapointment by the not quite so good, but still stellar sales the Wii will have

it will just hit 40 million. I mean the last few weeks America has not had wii sales over 120k. So if that keeps up it will be no were close to even 42 million. It will barley hit 40

I posted this in another thread, and I added a few things for clarification

If we expect 51M shipped by March 31st (From Nintendo Financials), then at a production rate of 2.4m/month, then we can expect ~43.8m shipped through December 31st. Now, we could assume that they will air ship 2 extra million from january's supply. So assuming you have 0.5m in stock/transmit for the Dec 31 deadline, that would leave you with a max of 45.3m units sold to customers by Dec 31.

Of course, this is with a few assumptions, mostly that they will have 2 extra million they can divert from January to December, but I honestly expect 44-45m by Dec 31.

I did some estimates from last year, and it does look like they can shift that much production forward.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network
pimpcoop said:
it will just hit 40 million. I mean the last few weeks America has not had wii sales over 120k. So if that keeps up it will be no were close to even 42 million. It will barley hit 40

It doesn't matter if it is only selling 120k, it only matters if it is still selling out, which it is in my area (and pretty much every other area too). So everything Ninty produces will be sold.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

NO!

around 44 million probably

It appears Nintendo's been doing some stockpiling for India and China releases this year, plus of course the holiday season.

Animal Crossing will be it's usual amazing sales (especially in Europe) but (see sig) I don't think Wii Music will be as large although it'll do decent numbers.

The only 'must have' 3rd party title I see is SW:FU and that's getting mediocre reviews so Wii doesn't have a really strong line-up this year.

I think, as usual, most people here will be surprised by how many Wii's sell this holiday season but I must admit, hitting 50m seems like a remote possibility at this point. But then no one thought it'd hit 20m last year either.

It won't hit 50 million, but not because of a lack of demand.

Can you imagine, though? Fifty million consoles sold in about two years?

Would the world explode? I submit yes.

And a lot of jokers predict 36-37 million in the front page. The poll title should have been changed to "How many Wii's do you wish were sold by years end?" and the 32 million option should have been included.

And yes, Leo-j, your prediction was 29-33 million. You can still be right though cause Wii may day any minute.

OT: If there was no stockpiling Wii would sell 41 million given the current production capacity. But seeing last year sales, we know there is stockpiling. Also those saying Wii is dying, lol... Wii is up from last year. We know Nintendo is diverging more units to Europe because of the strong Euro, otherwise why are Wii's still selling out in the USA?

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies