By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So come on then - who had the best conference??

Sony had the best show but why is everyone suddenly doom-and-gloom on MS?

They still have several shows to attend this year (X07, PAX, TGS) and their game lineup for the rest of the year is brilliant. It's not surprising that they talked about those games and are saving the details for Halo Wars, Alan Wake, etc. for a later show. There is still plenty of time for MS to start rolling out announcements for 2008. People aren't going to start buying PS3s tomorrow because Killzone 2 looked good, even though the game won't launch until after the holidays.

And are you guys really basing your opinions of H3 on a YouTube-sized screen or an SDTV brodcast clip from G4TV? All you have to do is look at the screenie Bungie released to realize that those clips aren't doing the textures and lighting of H3 one bit of justice. When MS gets around to releasing a HD trailer, I'll be ready to decide how the game looks. Besides, that trailer was really jumpy. It didn't let you focus in on a scene for more than a few seconds. Not much to judge based on that.

Anyway, I think it went:

Sony>>Nintendo>>Microsoft. None of the shows were outstanding but Sony's had me interested the most (despite how badly I want to punch Jack Tretton in the face whenever he speaks). Nintendo had Mario Kart (very cool) and MS had CoD4 demo and footage (also cool).

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
Gballzack said:
wonder why Sony wasn't willing to show anyone playing any of their games?

Because they're all fake. It's all CG ;)

1. Sony

2. MS

3. Nintendo 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Sony.
Nintendo.
Microsoft.

Nothing was going to top last year with its big console announcements, drama, and five plus hour long lines. It was what I expected from this year, the calm year with a toned down version of my favorite event of the year.

I was really expecting more from Microsoft considering how last year they were so over shadowed with new console presentations. I was expecting the new/big/exclusive games to be more prominent yet it was Sony and Unreal that took that thunder away.

Nintendo with Wii Fit did not exactly impress me but knowing that I was right in putting faith in the company to actually get Mario Galaxy and Brawl out before this calander year ended was a huge upper. Plus I now know that Wii can do big multi-player online games with Medal of Honor supporting 32 players. That was a huge one for me. And not to be left out, Mario Kart being announced (even if brief and tenative).

Sony took this one with Unreal being a timed exclusive alone. Add to that the fact that other great games like Killzone 2 and new ideas like the PSP video out stuff. Sony looked like they were taking thee industry a lot more seriously after being trounced for the last half a year plus.

All three were not very good. Microsoft, for the second year in a row, underperformed at a key moment and Nintendo failed to take the strength of their console sales and announce anything related to third party really. Sony could have taken all the HOME stuff out of the presentation, added a little more flair, and garnered better public speakers and maybe they would have owned this year.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

1.nintendo (just for the wii balance board)
2.sony
3.MS

Switch Friend Code - 3664 - 9964 - 9777

Smash Ultimate Alias - Happy Lion

Mains: Donkey Kong, King K. Rool, Diddy Kong

Sony by far then id put Nintendo for showing SOMTHING new thats worthwhile (wiifit, Mario Kart, RE gun) and then MSFT was bleh with GoW coming to PC telling us "all of you xbox 360 games are belong to PC after 8 months with more stuff" thanks msft.

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
Gballzack said:
wonder why Sony wasn't willing to show anyone playing any of their games?

Because they're all fake. It's all CG ;)

Obviously. A pretty poor E3 from all perspectives. With Sony doing worse and worse I wonder if this conference will even help them?

rocketpig said:
Sony had the best show but why is everyone suddenly doom-and-gloom on MS?

They still have several shows to attend this year (X07, PAX, TGS) and their game lineup for the rest of the year is brilliant. It's not surprising that they talked about those games and are saving the details for Halo Wars, Alan Wake, etc. for a later show. There is still plenty of time for MS to start rolling out announcements for 2008. People aren't going to start buying PS3s tomorrow because Killzone 2 looked good, even though the game won't launch until after the holidays.

Yeah I have a feeling they're saving the announcements of games for next year for X07.  It seems like that is quickly becoming the show where they make their biggest announcements.

As for Halo 3 I thought the trailer looked amazing, in fact I was more impressed with it than Killzone 2 because they showed a lot more actual gameplay in Halo 3 as opposed to in-game engine cutscenes in Killzone 2.  Also the fact that they have to play tricks with the lighting in Killzone 2 makes me wonder why they have to if the PS3 is supposed to be so much more powerful than the 360.

What's really strange about Halo Wars and Fable 2 is that the developers of Halo Wars said to wait for E3 and gave the impression they would be showing something in it, and Fable 2 just had some ingame pictures released so we know it would have been possible for Microsoft to show those two games (I watched the Microsoft conference on G4 tv so maybe they did show Halo Wars and I missed it because of commercials...).

GhaudePhaede010 said:
Sony took this one with Unreal being a timed exclusive alone. 

I fail to see why this is such a big deal to some of you. UT has, and always will be, primarily a PC game. It's cool that Sony got it but anyone who is serious about the game is going to be playing it on a PC. And that PC version launches same-day as the PS3 version.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Possum5454 said:
1.nintendo (just for the wii balance board)
2.sony
3.MS

really? you think the balance board is better than NCsoft going exclusive to Playstation, InFamous, Haze and UT3 exclusive through the holidays, PSP redesign and a crazy bundle of PSP lite, Daxter, Family guy and 1gb mem stick for $199.99, exclusive star wars battlefront PSP game, Killzone 2 kicking booty with a pre alpha build, Home integration on PC (booting directly into games with friends from home demonstrated) Singstar/myspace page for Singstar PS3. UT3 having mods and sony embracing it etc.

interesting how a concept that existed on the original NES beats what sony showed, but to each his own.

1. Sony (90%)

2. Nintendo (85%)

3. Microsoft (60%)

MGS & Killzone both next year.

Ninty could have shown/unveiled a couple more "traditonal" games. An RPG, etc.

PSP Lite looks cool, although fairly uninspiring. Note that numbers were not(?) given for HOW MUCH battery life improved or loading speed. TV out is cool, although could steal sales from PS3?? (dual handheld/console??)

WiiFit is the device/game of the show IMO. A lot better than I expected, this thing will be huge. Nintendo has this casual thing all sown up.

Still believe MGS will come to 360, although Konami are "smart" to not say so now.

MS still probably has the best line-up this year - Halo3, GTA4, Assassins Creed, Bioshock, Mass Effect. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099