By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GTA- The most overrated game of any gen?

tuoyo said:
Why do people love Halo? I found it to be such a tedius experience. The weapons were all rather dull, the stages were as big as you can imagine with massive rooms and environment but each one in each stage was virtually the same as the other and the enemies were the same throughout and all as boring as could be. Halo was for me the classic example of what a FPS should not be like. It was incredibly dull and repetitive. I presume all the hype of Halo is because of the online death matches because it surely can't be over the dull, tedious campaign mode.

Halo 3 is basically half way to Quake World from 1997 -- Quake World had:

(1) more players in online games even though almost no one had broadband yet

(2) awesome modifications and interesting game types -- threewave, Team Fortress, etc.

(3)  A better framerate with GLQuake than Halo 3 has.

It was a much more complete shooter experience than Halo 3 and a hell of a lot more fun, too.  You'd think Bungee would haev been able to catch up after a decade, but Halo's online experience is still way, way behind QuakeWorld.  Fact.

Dont' get me wrong -- I still play Halo 3 occationally.  But it's not as fun as I had in 1997 with Quake World because of the diversity and excitement Quake World offered.

Around the Network
Kurakasa said:
tuoyo said:
Why do people love Halo? I found it to be such a tedius experience. The weapons were all rather dull, the stages were as big as you can imagine with massive rooms and environment but each one in each stage was virtually the same as the other and the enemies were the same throughout and all as boring as could be. Halo was for me the classic example of what a FPS should not be like. It was incredibly dull and repetitive. I presume all the hype of Halo is because of the online death matches because it surely can't be over the dull, tedious campaign mode.

Maybe because it is a great game? If halo is an example of what fps-game should not be, can you give me an example of what it should be? :)

Online is a must for fps-games.

Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters 2.  I certainly don't want to trawl through a level for 1 hour seeing the same annoying aliens with the same dull guns, and seeing nothing but the same massive rooms all the time.  With those games I mentioned you went from room to room and open area to open area with all of them being different and small sized, not massive expanses of repitition.  As I said I never played the Halo online death match but the campain mode was a boredom nightmare. 

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

@ tuoyo

Halo was for me the classic example of what a FPS should not be like. It was incredibly dull and repetitive. I presume all the hype of Halo is because of the online death matches because it surely can't be over the dull, tedious campaign mode.

That's what I was thinking as well and when I look at the online experience and for example compare this with a game like Warhawk, I greatly prefer Warhawk. Judging from only a couple of Halo 3 matches Warhawk provides a much more unique and fun online experience, flying warhawks IMO is truly a lot of fun. (Though sadly Warhawk was one of the most bare bones documented and worst illustrated high profile games I've played so far, the game assumes too much experience from the user).

I really have to wonder what makes Halo 3 really so special? What if the game didn't have master chief and was sold under another name?

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

It was horribly overrated

I just hope it doesn't result in GOTY beign taken away from MGS4

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

tuoyo said:
Kurakasa said:
tuoyo said:

Maybe because it is a great game? If halo is an example of what fps-game should not be, can you give me an example of what it should be? :)

Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters 2.  I certainly don't want to trawl through a level for 1 hour seeing the same annoying aliens with the same dull guns, and seeing nothing but the same massive rooms all the time.  With those games I mentioned you went from room to room and open area to open area with all of them being different and small sized, not massive expanses of repitition.  As I said I never played the Halo online death match but the campain mode was a boredom nightmare. 

Goldeneye and perfect dark were awful. Of course, I have tried only single player. Don't know if they had any online-modes. Timesplitters? Never heard of that one. Anyway, halo is much better than any of those. :)

Around the Network

Um, no. GTA 3 pack was the best game of last generation. GTA4 is the best 360 and PS3 game around. GTA is amazing!

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

tuoyo said:
Kurakasa said:
tuoyo said:

Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters 2. I certainly don't want to trawl through a level for 1 hour seeing the samtoying aliens with the same dull guns, and seeing nothing but the same massive rooms all the time. With those games I mentioned you went from room to room and open area to open area with all of them being different and small sized, not massive expanses of repitition. As I said I never played the Halo online death match but the campain mode was a boredom nightmare.

rofl then I think you should never play ANY FPS.

Every single WWII shooter has the same annoying Nazis or Japanese soldiers. They always have the same dull guns and you see nothing but the same bunkers, destroyed houses etc.

FPS games ARE repetitive in Singleplayer, but co-op makes it more diversified.

blazinhead89 said:
Halo 3 most overated closely followed by GTA IV. Dark Knight is one of the Most Overrated Movies of ALL TIME.

I agree with the dark knight being one of the most, if not the most over rated movie of all time.

nintendo and sega fan since i was old enough to hold a game controller.

note: my games collection on my profile is only 20ish% complete, i've got a boatload of 360,saturn and dreamcast games to add and a few ps3 games, thanks :)

I'd give it an 8/10. It's fun, but pales in comparison to the other GTA games.

disolitude said:
tuoyo said:

I guess you just don't get it and thats fine...

But I'm telling you now Halo 1 was one of the most important games of last gen. At the time there wasn't anything available on any platform (including PC - well maybe half life) that offered such an amazing experince in the FPS realm. Hence why Halo 1 won as many game of the year awards.

Halo 2 made lots of improvements on the formula. Co-op campaign was amazing, Xbox live launched so online play was a breeze...stat tracking. Again, I can't think of anything at the time that offered the complete package of Halo 2.

Halo 3 was refinment of the formula. The campaign was cool but mostly lifted from halo 1 and 2. The only cool adition is 4 player split screen campaign mode. The multiplayer is where this game shines. theater mode and making your own clips of the kills is the best addition to an FPS this gen. You will say to friends..."yeah I totally killed 30 guys this one match..." and they will call you a liar and then BAM...you show them the clip, edited the way you'd like it to be. The multiplayer maps in halo 3 are superior to any maps I've seen before...in a sense they require strategy depending on what game you play. Even COD4 can't match the carnige that some maps of halo 3 offer.

I'm noticing a trend that a lot of Wii owners just don't get halo and are asking "why is this fun?". Wonder why that is?

I played Halo before there was any such thing as a Wii.  I bought an Xbox simply because my cousin told me how amazing Halo was and a friend told me Splinter Cell was really good.  Found Halo to be as boring as hell.    Splinter Cell on the other hand was amazing and made my Xbox purchase worth it.  Otherwise it would have been the biggest waste of money ever.  Me hating Halo had nothing to do with whether I was a Nintendo fan or not.  Or actually maybe it did.  If the game was made by Nintendo the enemies and levels would have been much more creative and the game won't have been the most repetitive and dull thing ever to hit mankind.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down