By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A world with out Nintendo

Sometimes people fail to realize just how darn important Nintendo is to the video game industry. Simply put with out Nintendo the entire industry would be unrecognizable and perhaps even nonexistent and a lot of people would have had a lot less fun over their lives regardless of which company you supported wither it be Sega, Sony or Microsoft. Here is a look at what the world would probally be like with out Nintendo. With out Nintendo there would be NO Nintendo entertainment system. No Mario, no Zelda, no Metroid nor any of their sequels down the line. With out the NES Square would have had no platform to publish Final fantasy on and goes bankrupt. Ergo no Final Fantasy 2-12, no Chrono Trigger, no Kingdom hearts or any other Beloved Square franchise would exist today. With out the NES Enix never would have had a platform to publish the initial Dragon quest on. As a result gaming in Japan dies out. With out the massive success of the NES there would have been no existing Video game market in place for Sega to attempt to take a piece of the pie. The Master system is never made since they wouldn’t risk the money to enter a dead market. Because of this No Sega genesis, Saturn or Dreamcast ever exist. No Sonic the hedgehog, No Nights into dreams, No Phantasy Stars are ever made. With out the NES around there is no Super NES around for Nintendo to try and make an add on with Sony. Thus the initial groundwork for the Playstation is never laid and we would have no PS2 or PS3 since Sony would have no incentive to enter what would be a dead market. Thus no Grand theft auto or any other number of fantastic Playstation games are made. As a result of no Placation threatening there strangle hold on the entertainment hub market Microsoft never bothers to make the X-box or the X-box 360. Its very likely Halo would never be published since with out consol games to help push pc games forward they wouldn’t evolve as quickly. With out Nintendo there would be no Gameboy. And no Gameboy means no Pokémon whipping out any future the handheld market could have had. With out a handheld market in place nobody bothers to invest money to try and take it over. We would probally never had a PSP then. Sure with out Nintendo someone would have eventually tried to come along and restart the industry but they probally wouldn’t have had the mojo to pull it off. And even if they had everything we know about games as they are NOW would be totally different. We’d have missed out so many legendary games and series it wouldn’t even be funny. So no matter where you loyalties lie always remember to pay respect to Nintendo for what they accomplished. Because if they hadn’t been around then neither would be most of your favourite games and systems. Nintendo took what was a dim wasteland and turned it into a paradise for us all to enjoy. Thanks to them and their efforts past, present and future we ALL have a long bright future of gaming to enjoy. Long live Nintendo…Long living Gaming!

Around the Network

Yay, rhetoric. And theoretical rhetoric to boot. I agree with the sentiment, but people tend not to look through forums in search of essays.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Dude very rhetorical but there is a fact to this which you forgot to include. When Nintendo decided to release the Famicon or NES in America the American gaming market had collapsed. It was completely dead. Only a small gaming market in Japan and a startup one in Europe were left. The NES came into existence in America and saved video gaming in the West side of the World. Without Nintendo and there risk taking NES there would be no American gaming like it is today. Meaning the biggest market today in gaming would not have existed meaning most likely gaming would have crashed. Now I speak rhetorically on what could have happened if no Nintendo in America but it is true the American gaming market was crashed and saved thx to Nintendo and the NES. Take it from there if you will cause gaming exploded and became what it is today not because of what Atari started but because what the NES revolutionized.

It's true that the console market had dried up, although there was still a very active computer gaming market. I remember seeing Atari 2600 and 7800 cartridges going for $5 new in the store, where they would have gone for twice or three times that earlier. I was a bit younger at that time, but had I realized that the console market was tanking I might have been a bit upset at the prospect. A lot of my gaming after Atari's consoles went south happened on various computers, those of friends and a few of my own, including the Tandy CoCo, Commodore 64, Apple II series, Atari 800 series, and others. Nonetheless, Nintendo did singlehandedly bring consoles back into the running with the NES. The gamepad controls, along with a reasonably powerful platform for games at the time, returned consoles to the level where the games could be a serious alternative to a visit to the arcade and even computers to a degree. I sunk quite a few hours into the NES version of Ultima Exodus.

I never liked the NES much. Most of the games were to shallow for me. The controls were good enough. I always stuck to playing computer games. The SNES was nintendo's true gem. I give Nintendo every brownie point for the SNES. After the SNES, the N64 was good, but was beaten by the PS. The gamecube was good. But Failed because of the might of the PS2 and X-Box. The Wii... Is actually my least favorite nintendo console besides the NES, and the Virtualboy. or whatever that hideous peice of crap was. Innovation is good. Gimmicky is bad. At least the Nintendo gave the idea to the PS3.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

If there was no nintendo, I might not be as big of a console gamer as I am today. Props goes fully to Nintenedo. There is only one thing I disagree about in DC's list. Sega was being restructured (purchased by other companies so forth and so on). If the achieved stability earlier on maybe they would have been the first to the market. I highly doubt that they released into the market Just because nintendo was there. Chances are they were going to release the Mark III anyways. With sega's habit of manufacturing addon's who know what would have come out of further iterations.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

staticneuron said: If there was no nintendo, I might not be as big of a console gamer as I am today. Props goes fully to Nintenedo. There is only one thing I disagree about in DC's list. Sega was being restructured (purchased by other companies so forth and so on). If the achieved stability earlier on maybe they would have been the first to the market. I highly doubt that they released into the market Just because nintendo was there. Chances are they were going to release the Mark III anyways. With sega's habit of manufacturing addon's who know what would have come out of further iterations.
The NES's success was a big part of it. Sega wasn't the only one. Atari attempted to jump back into things after Nintendo brought back gaming, but were the last to the party and completely failed. Nintendo is obviously the most influential of all hardware manufacturers, but I'm sure Gaming would have had an interesting and successfull life without the Big N (just not to the same degree). What impresses me so much is how just when it looks like they're about to be wiped out on the home console market (were people really expecting that much after the Gamecube?), they manage to not just completely reinvent themselves, but to reinvent gaming in the process. The Wii is definately the next NES in the history of gaming. Or should I say the next DS?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Kwaad said: I never liked the NES much. Most of the games were to shallow for me. The controls were good enough. I always stuck to playing computer games. .
This seems like an odd statement from someone who is supposedly 22. Would you not have been born around the time the NES came out in the US? Being 22, it seems to me you would barely have been old enough to appeciate the SNES. I also agree with the sentiment of the thread's originator. I will stay loyal to Nintendo as long as they are around.

Blip said: Kwaad said: I never liked the NES much. Most of the games were to shallow for me. The controls were good enough. I always stuck to playing computer games. . This seems like an odd statement from someone who is supposedly 22. Would you not have been born around the time the NES came out in the US? Being 22, it seems to me you would barely have been old enough to appeciate the SNES. I also agree with the sentiment of the thread's originator. I will stay loyal to Nintendo as long as they are around.
Lol. Don't take any criticism about depth from this educated 22 year old who obviously majors in business statistics and law. He says that the Wii is gimmicky... -Nintendo kept the Wii controller design, in spite of initial mainstream criticism. (Sony trashed the original ps3 controller design because of it's utter lack of popularity) -Nintendo never made empty promises about gameplay OR graphics performance. (Remember G4's interview with Jack Tretton? Sure, Mr. Sony, that Killzone footage is all real-time gameplay) -Nintendo never has resorted to 'bashing' another producer/developer (Random Sony higer-up: The Wii is an impulse buy) -Nintendo's NES originated the "depth" in gaming, despite what Mr. Gwaad, who apparently played the NES after it's initial hit, believes. -Nintendo seeks to broaden the video gaming audience. (Sony seeks to isolate lower-income and less hardcore gamers with overuse of technology and overall cost) I'm not a Sony hater, Mr. Dwaad, but I am a realist. The impact of Nintendo on gaming isn't something to belittle. As you so intelligently observed, Sony did get it's PS3 idea from Nintendo. Simply because Shigeru Miyamoto and company saved modern video games before you were ever born. Do you honestly think, had it not been for the NES and SNES that Sony would even be in the gaming biz? Sony designed games for both of those systems before branching off and developing the PS line.

R9 5950x - RTX 3090 - Odyssey G9

Innovalias said: Blip said: Kwaad said: I never liked the NES much. Most of the games were to shallow for me. The controls were good enough. I always stuck to playing computer games. . This seems like an odd statement from someone who is supposedly 22. Would you not have been born around the time the NES came out in the US? Being 22, it seems to me you would barely have been old enough to appeciate the SNES. I also agree with the sentiment of the thread's originator. I will stay loyal to Nintendo as long as they are around. Lol. Don't take any criticism about depth from this educated 22 year old who obviously majors in business statistics and law. He says that the Wii is gimmicky... -Nintendo kept the Wii controller design, in spite of initial mainstream criticism. (Sony trashed the original ps3 controller design because of it's utter lack of popularity) -Nintendo never made empty promises about gameplay OR graphics performance. (Remember G4's interview with Jack Tretton? Sure, Mr. Sony, that Killzone footage is all real-time gameplay) -Nintendo never has resorted to 'bashing' another producer/developer (Random Sony higer-up: The Wii is an impulse buy) -Nintendo's NES originated the "depth" in gaming, despite what Mr. Gwaad, who apparently played the NES after it's initial hit, believes. -Nintendo seeks to broaden the video gaming audience. (Sony seeks to isolate lower-income and less hardcore gamers with overuse of technology and overall cost) I'm not a Sony hater, Mr. Dwaad, but I am a realist. The impact of Nintendo on gaming isn't something to belittle. As you so intelligently observed, Sony did get it's PS3 idea from Nintendo. Simply because Shigeru Miyamoto and company saved modern video games before you were ever born. Do you honestly think, had it not been for the NES and SNES that Sony would even be in the gaming biz? Sony designed games for both of those systems before branching off and developing the PS line.
First of all the "original" controller design was a stock design. One that many have seen before. Only people that were worried were the people who really thought it was the controllers design. Seriously, do you think sony cares about people having a hissy fit over their design? Second of all no business man promises you anything and if you believe them then you are a fool. Tretton really doesn't know what he was talking about but even then I am pretty sure he mentioned that it was real time. There is a large difference between real time and gameplay. Perrin Kaplan (Nintendo of America's Vice President) says, "Well, we didn't have anyone in line that got shot waiting for our system. So there's one sign of the different approaches between our two companies...." It seems like nintendo does "bash". Calling the Wii an impulse buy is not a bash. Saying it is underpowered or unimportant is. In some peoples view the PS3 is way to expensive for the average consumer, the wii is an impulse buy, and the 360 recieves residual sales. Those aren't bashes more like guessing customer intent on a product instead of attacking the product itself. I have no idea what depth you are talking about. As far as what sony aims to do, I do not think you ever listened to what they have said. They aren't aiming to make their sales right away. They depend on the hardcore first then try to push down cost of manufacturing so it can be acceptable to an even a larger amount of people. Sony has not really changed their tactics since the original PS1. The PS1 and the PS2 seems to have reached a wider audience than any of their competitors during the same time period. 100 million + for each generation. Sony has seemed to capture a wide gamut of gamers because of thier large and varied library. maybe the key to widening the market gap is not by patronizing the consumers.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723