By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A world with out Nintendo

Kwaad said: I never liked the NES much. Most of the games were to shallow for me. The controls were good enough. I always stuck to playing computer games. The SNES was nintendo's true gem. I give Nintendo every brownie point for the SNES. After the SNES, the N64 was good, but was beaten by the PS. The gamecube was good. But Failed because of the might of the PS2 and X-Box. The Wii... Is actually my least favorite nintendo console besides the NES, and the Virtualboy. or whatever that hideous peice of crap was. Innovation is good. Gimmicky is bad. At least the Nintendo gave the idea to the PS3.
You are absolutely right. Wii's innovative new remote is very good. PS3's gimmicky SIXAXIS is very bad. At least Sony knows how to steal a good idea when they see one.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Around the Network

mancandy said: Kwaad said: I never liked the NES much. Most of the games were to shallow for me. The controls were good enough. I always stuck to playing computer games. The SNES was nintendo's true gem. I give Nintendo every brownie point for the SNES. After the SNES, the N64 was good, but was beaten by the PS. The gamecube was good. But Failed because of the might of the PS2 and X-Box. The Wii... Is actually my least favorite nintendo console besides the NES, and the Virtualboy. or whatever that hideous peice of crap was. Innovation is good. Gimmicky is bad. At least the Nintendo gave the idea to the PS3. You are absolutely right. Wii's innovative new remote is very good. PS3's gimmicky SIXAXIS is very bad. At least Sony knows how to steal a good idea when they see one.
People still do not understand why the Wii remote is considered gimicky while the PS3 isn't. The motion sensing abilities are the main focus of the wii remote while it is only an added feature on the PS3 controller. The HUGE difference here, is that if devs cannot find better ways to use the remote than the entire system has failed where as the PS3 still has the original staple (since the PS1 days) to be the main focus. People are to busy defending the statement then really thinking about what it means.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

staticneuron said: mancandy said: Kwaad said: I never liked the NES much. Most of the games were to shallow for me. The controls were good enough. I always stuck to playing computer games. The SNES was nintendo's true gem. I give Nintendo every brownie point for the SNES. After the SNES, the N64 was good, but was beaten by the PS. The gamecube was good. But Failed because of the might of the PS2 and X-Box. The Wii... Is actually my least favorite nintendo console besides the NES, and the Virtualboy. or whatever that hideous peice of crap was. Innovation is good. Gimmicky is bad. At least the Nintendo gave the idea to the PS3. You are absolutely right. Wii's innovative new remote is very good. PS3's gimmicky SIXAXIS is very bad. At least Sony knows how to steal a good idea when they see one. People still do not understand why the Wii remote is considered gimicky while the PS3 isn't. The motion sensing abilities are the main focus of the wii remote while it is only an added feature on the PS3 controller. The HUGE difference here, is that if devs cannot find better ways to use the remote than the entire system has failed where as the PS3 still has the original staple (since the PS1 days) to be the main focus. People are to busy defending the statement then really thinking about what it means.
I checked my handy old fashioned dictionary, i.e. a book, and got a definition of gimmick: an attention-getting device or feature, typically superficial, designed to promote the success of a product, campaign, etc. Based on this definition, the SIXAXIS is more of a gimmick since you say it is just an added feature rather than the focus of the console. I see what you are getting at though and you are right. If developers can't find ways to use the remote then it is useless. However, recent news of more third party developers hopping on Nintendo's wagon shows that developers are hopeful of being able to make games based on the new remote. EA, Rockstar, Activision, Konami, Square Enix all think they can make games for the Wii and some of them already have.

I'd have to agree that Sony's SIXAXIS's motion control is more of a gimmick than the Wiimote. The SIXAXIS is just used for simple stuff that a button can do. Hopefully, more and more games will use the Wiimote more intuitively, with games built around the Wiimote's capabilities. It is certainly more advanced than the SIXAXIS, so it's a little early to call it a gimmick.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I have no idea what depth you are talking about. Ever play a game before Zelda with a completely navigable world, and a coherent story line? Beyond 2d platformers and arcade games, Zelda threw the doors open for new possibilities. The original FF games? NES. The Dragon Warrior games? NES. The HUGE difference here, is that if devs cannot find better ways to use the remote than the entire system has failed where as the PS3 still has the original staple (since the PS1 days) to be the main focus. Um... it seems more like the PS3's apparent 'leaps and bounds' in media entertainment are more of a problem for developers to design games around. And, uh, it looks more like the PS3 is on the path to failure than the Wii... but feel free to use Kwaad's logic to prove me wrong. As far as what sony aims to do, I do not think you ever listened to what they have said. They aren't aiming to make their sales right away. They depend on the hardcore first then try to push down cost of manufacturing so it can be acceptable to an even a larger amount of people. Sony has not really changed their tactics since the original PS1. The PS1 and the PS2 seems to have reached a wider audience than any of their competitors during the same time period. 100 million + for each generation. Yeah, but with PS1 and PS2, Sony wasn't asking people to make an investment the likes of the PS3. Sony's 100mil+ status doesn't guarantee the willingness of gamers and other consumers to purchase the product, which belongs to a medium with cheaper alternatives (a la Wii and 360). While it's good to use the hardcore to fuel hysteria over the system, it doesn't do much for developers making an amazing investment in a PS3 project, with little to no promise of large-scale success, when systems that are less complicated and cheaper to design for are available, with a larger audience. Sony has seemed to capture a wide gamut of gamers because of thier large and varied library. maybe the key to widening the market gap is not by patronizing the consumers. Right. Telling consumers to think "I will work more hours to buy one," when all MANY gamers want is a machine that will play games (The PS2 and PS1 had a lower price, and did nothing but offer gaming entertainment), sure bodes well as a sales strategy.

R9 5950x - RTX 3090 - Odyssey G9

Around the Network

Gimmick is as gimmick does. If it works, it works.

R9 5950x - RTX 3090 - Odyssey G9

Kwaad said:I never liked the NES much.
Are you trolling or what? NES, the best system ever by a wide margin, likely has more good games than all the systems you own put together.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

elprincipe said: Kwaad said:I never liked the NES much. Are you trolling or what? NES, the best system ever by a wide margin, likely has more good games than all the systems you own put together.
You must forgive him since he speaks from lack of experience. He was still in his dad's nutsack when the system came out. Maybe his dad was playing it and he somehow gathered that the NES lacked any games of true depth from the confines of a scrotum.

DreamsCast said: Sometimes people fail to realize just how darn important Nintendo is to the video game industry. Simply put with out Nintendo the entire industry would be unrecognizable and perhaps even nonexistent and a lot of people would have had a lot less fun over their lives regardless of which company you supported wither it be Sega, Sony or Microsoft. Here is a look at what the world would probally be like with out Nintendo. With out Nintendo there would be NO Nintendo entertainment system. No Mario, no Zelda, no Metroid nor any of their sequels down the line. With out the NES Square would have had no platform to publish Final fantasy on and goes bankrupt. Ergo no Final Fantasy 2-12, no Chrono Trigger, no Kingdom hearts or any other Beloved Square franchise would exist today. With out the NES Enix never would have had a platform to publish the initial Dragon quest on. As a result gaming in Japan dies out. With out the massive success of the NES there would have been no existing Video game market in place for Sega to attempt to take a piece of the pie. The Master system is never made since they wouldn’t risk the money to enter a dead market. Because of this No Sega genesis, Saturn or Dreamcast ever exist. No Sonic the hedgehog, No Nights into dreams, No Phantasy Stars are ever made. With out the NES around there is no Super NES around for Nintendo to try and make an add on with Sony. Thus the initial groundwork for the Playstation is never laid and we would have no PS2 or PS3 since Sony would have no incentive to enter what would be a dead market. Thus no Grand theft auto or any other number of fantastic Playstation games are made. As a result of no Placation threatening there strangle hold on the entertainment hub market Microsoft never bothers to make the X-box or the X-box 360. Its very likely Halo would never be published since with out consol games to help push pc games forward they wouldn’t evolve as quickly. With out Nintendo there would be no Gameboy. And no Gameboy means no Pokémon whipping out any future the handheld market could have had. With out a handheld market in place nobody bothers to invest money to try and take it over. We would probally never had a PSP then. Sure with out Nintendo someone would have eventually tried to come along and restart the industry but they probally wouldn’t have had the mojo to pull it off. And even if they had everything we know about games as they are NOW would be totally different. We’d have missed out so many legendary games and series it wouldn’t even be funny. So no matter where you loyalties lie always remember to pay respect to Nintendo for what they accomplished. Because if they hadn’t been around then neither would be most of your favourite games and systems. Nintendo took what was a dim wasteland and turned it into a paradise for us all to enjoy. Thanks to them and their efforts past, present and future we ALL have a long bright future of gaming to enjoy. Long live Nintendo…Long living Gaming!
i love nintendo, but this statement is dumb. the game industry was in a slump, but it certainly would have come back, with or without nintendo. atari would release another system (the 7800) which may have done much better if nintendo didn't own nearly the entire market. sega was building consoles the same time nintendo was (in the SG-1000). not to mention nintendo was pretty dictatoral with third parties. go to wikipedia for some easy history of the early video game market.

I had a 7800... I doubt it would have done as well as the NES even if it had the market to itself. It was a step up from the 2600 to be sure, but the joysticks left a bit to be desired. The general complexity of the games released for the system was lower than those for the NES, which is good and bad, but the system never had its "Wow" moment - outside of a relatively decent game of Pole Position II. The Master System might have done rather well were there no NES. In fact, I understand it did quite well in Europe. Despite a few technical advantages for Sega's system however, it was the software released for the console that really brought things forward. That's where the NES truly had the advantage. Sure, the Master System had Phantasy Star and Alex Kidd, and a better version of the original Double Dragon, but the Mario, Zelda, and myriad third party properties helped bring the NES to the forefront. Super Mario Brothers in and of itself was IMO the key property - a killer app, if we're into overused terms - that allowed it to own the market. The game had simply spot on controls, like nothing else at the time.