By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Gamespot reviews Infinite Undiscovery - 6.5

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/infiniteundiscovery/review.html

Infinite Undiscovery Review

Infinite Undiscovery feeds your need for narrative, but it’s ultimately a shallow, flawed experience.

The Good

• Detailed character models and world architecture  
  • Characters and their stories are engaging  
  • Fast-paced battles with spiffy-looking special moves.

The Bad

• Gameworld is lonely and bland  
  • Too much repetition  
  • Short and lacking in depth for an RPG.
Role-playing games strike a tricky balance between gameplay and narrative that is easy to take for granted when everything goes together correctly. Infinite Undiscovery is sadly an example of how flawed design and myriad imperfections can mar an otherwise enjoyable adventure. Square Enix manages to provide the frame of a role-playing game epic that falls short on execution.

Infinite Undiscovery has all the trappings of a mighty adventure, but it lacks the true soul. Some of that energy is siphoned off by a largely empty and repetitious world, some of it is drained by faulty scenario design, and much of it isn't allowed real depth because of the relatively short length. It's easy to grow fond of the characters and become involved in their plight, but the narrative is only one part of the whole.

I was expecting more of this game, since it was from Tri-Ace.

Around the Network
zexen_lowe said:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/infiniteundiscovery/review.html

Infinite Undiscovery Review

Infinite Undiscovery feeds your need for narrative, but it’s ultimately a shallow, flawed experience.

The Good

• Detailed character models and world architecture  
  • Characters and their stories are engaging  
  • Fast-paced battles with spiffy-looking special moves.

The Bad

• Gameworld is lonely and bland  
  • Too much repetition  
  • Short and lacking in depth for an RPG.
Role-playing games strike a tricky balance between gameplay and narrative that is easy to take for granted when everything goes together correctly. Infinite Undiscovery is sadly an example of how flawed design and myriad imperfections can mar an otherwise enjoyable adventure. Square Enix manages to provide the frame of a role-playing game epic that falls short on execution.

Infinite Undiscovery has all the trappings of a mighty adventure, but it lacks the true soul. Some of that energy is siphoned off by a largely empty and repetitious world, some of it is drained by faulty scenario design, and much of it isn't allowed real depth because of the relatively short length. It's easy to grow fond of the characters and become involved in their plight, but the narrative is only one part of the whole.

I was expecting more of this game, since it was from Tri-Ace.

You must not have if you are gonna let one review sway you.

hum. so i guess another flopped excluisve? Man we are seeing a lot of these *cough haze too human cough *

JaggedSac said:

You must not have if you are gonna let one review sway you.

I don't care too much, since I don't have a 360 and I don't want one anyway, I just had some expectations the game would be as good as SO3. But the game ain't getting good reviews across the board, not just Gamespot.

@jaggedsac: It is not the first review.

Around the Network

Seems reviewers can't decide what they want from a JRPG these days, the reviews for Disgaea 3, IU, and ToV are all over the board.

stellabelg said:

I just noticed that.  But 71 isn't too bad for a JRPG.

6.5 isn't a bad score, it just isn't perfect.

tri-Ace has made some high quality games, but you have to keep in mind that IU was made by the same team that made Radiata Stories, which, I'll grant, isn't a great game, but it isn't bad either.

I'm picking this game up regardless of review scores, just because it's tri-Ace.

We'll miss you George.

PSN:Puzzleface

XBL:XpuzzlefaceX

My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce

JaggedSac said:
stellabelg said:

I just noticed that.  But 71 isn't too bad for a JRPG.

I would agree but for a game made by the SE and Tri-ace it is dissapointing.  *Waits for more reviews*.

i knew it wasnt going to be a great jrpg once i found out it was 15-20 hours (with minimal sidequests)

but oh well i bet its still worth a rent, atleast i am going to :]