By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - del Toro: "There are only two games I consider masterpieces..."

I assume you're all not mentioning Okami because it's so obviously better that it would be idiocy to suggest otherwise, right?

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz
Around the Network

SOC was wonderful.. I never tried ICo...

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

Reasonable said:
MrMarc said:
It's nice to know that over 25 years of consoles have been kind enough to give us all of two masterpieces...

He's talking 'games as art' that he's played.  Out of all the games I've played those two (and maybe Silent Hill 2) are the only ones that would spring to mind - and I started playing games when you had to go to an Arcade never mind a home console!

Zelda. Metroid, Half Life etc. are all great games but I wouldn't consider them art.  ICO and SOTC I would.  I guess I'm not alone in that although others might disagree.

I think elements of other games (Deus Ex & Half Life 2 spring to mind) come close but few games carry off their themes as well as ICO and SOTC (and Silent Hill 2 - got to keep mentioning that).

Then I'd say Del Toro's mistake and your own is that you don't think good game design is an art. You just see it as a vector for storytelling, which would seem to be the narrow definition of art that you accept.

Super Mario Bros. has reached so many millions of people and become a monolithic cultural artifact, but you don't think it's art? A game doesn't need an elborate story or a sympathetic character to express the ideas of its creator(s).

Architecture and many paintings manage to be art without epic stories or sympathetic characters. Nobody seems to have trouble accepting that.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Nothing can ever beat Ocarina of Time for me.

Everything about it was perfect. I could complain about a few things in SOTC, though I still might call it a masterpiece, OoT was perfect in every way.

I could certainly understand why Del Toro would love those games though.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I love Del Toro. Both Hellboy films were awesome.

And Pans Labyrinth is apparently some sort of milestone in cinema

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network

games=/=movies. at least they shouldn't. Del toro is a great filmmmaker but is not a videogame designer.

so, who cares what he likes/dislikes?

famousringo said:
Reasonable said:
MrMarc said:
It's nice to know that over 25 years of consoles have been kind enough to give us all of two masterpieces...

He's talking 'games as art' that he's played.  Out of all the games I've played those two (and maybe Silent Hill 2) are the only ones that would spring to mind - and I started playing games when you had to go to an Arcade never mind a home console!

Zelda. Metroid, Half Life etc. are all great games but I wouldn't consider them art.  ICO and SOTC I would.  I guess I'm not alone in that although others might disagree.

I think elements of other games (Deus Ex & Half Life 2 spring to mind) come close but few games carry off their themes as well as ICO and SOTC (and Silent Hill 2 - got to keep mentioning that).

Then I'd say Del Toro's mistake and your own is that you don't think good game design is an art. You just see it as a vector for storytelling, which would seem to be the narrow definition of art that you accept.

Super Mario Bros. has reached so many millions of people and become a monolithic cultural artifact, but you don't think it's art? A game doesn't need an elborate story or a sympathetic character to express the ideas of its creator(s).

Architecture and many paintings manage to be art without epic stories or sympathetic characters. Nobody seems to have trouble accepting that.

Super Mario Bros. is a great game - but I don't see what I see looking at a painting or looking at an amazing building (or ICO).  I see a great game with zero meaning other than the fun you have playing it.  For me Art has to convey something - and it might just be me (although I know its not) but Super Mario Bros. is a great game but nothing more.  Now I've seen art featuring Mario character - but the game itself?  No.  Not by my definition of art.

Also, don't mix up a cultural artifact with a piece of art.  Batman is a cultural artifact, but you still have to create a piece of art featuring him to actually have something to regard.

And no - I don't think good game design is art anymore than I think the rules of Tennis is art.  A game of Tennis could be Art, as could a game of chess, etc.  But it would be a combination of the players, the event and what they create, not the game itself.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

famousringo said:
Reasonable said:
MrMarc said:

Reaching a ton of people doesn't make something art.  Subway has reached millions as well, but the term Sandwich artist is just a nice way to put "minimum wage employee".  SMB may or may not be art, I'm not really inclined to define art, but certainly just reaching people can't be the definition.

HEY! Don't mock...

There is NOTHING more beautiful than a 12" cheese steak on Hearty Italian staring me in the eye...

That is art...

Reasonable said:

Super Mario Bros. is a great game - but I don't see what I see looking at a painting or looking at an amazing building (or ICO).  I see a great game with zero meaning other than the fun you have playing it.  For me Art has to convey something - and it might just be me (although I know its not) but Super Mario Bros. is a great game but nothing more.  Now I've seen art featuring Mario character - but the game itself?  No.  Not by my definition of art.

Also, don't mix up a cultural artifact with a piece of art.  Batman is a cultural artifact, but you still have to create a piece of art featuring him to actually have something to regard.

And no - I don't think good game design is art anymore than I think the rules of Tennis is art.  A game of Tennis could be Art, as could a game of chess, etc.  But it would be a combination of the players, the event and what they create, not the game itself.

Of course a game conveys something. It conveys an experience, just as films, novels, and architecture do. Change the game designer, and you will get a different experience, because they will try to convey different ideas to the player according to their own beliefs.

Really, this kind of expression exists everywhere in the world. Architecture, marketing, industrial design... Yes, Torillian, even in how somebody decides to craft a sandwich. Some people take great care in their presentation of food. I've almost felt guilty for eating some meals which have been laid before me, but then I remember that consuming the meal is part of the experience that the chef has carefully crafted for me.

Whether you attach a great deal of meaning to a videogame experience or not is a subjective opinion, but when teams of people invest hundreds or thousands of man-hours to create an experience for you, they are trying to communicate with you, just as other artists are. And because this communication isn't in the form of a direct dialogue, we call it art.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.