By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - del Toro: "There are only two games I consider masterpieces..."

Torillian said:
I'd probably add in Portal. Was there any indication that he'd played the game? Since it's much newer than SotC or Ico.

He's a director (and a damn good one at that - Peter Jackson even signed him on to do the Hobbit films), so I think he's focusing more on story telling, or on games as a medium to express emotion, rather than really awesome gameplay (though I admit I do miss my weighted companion cube :'( ).

And I wholeheartedly agree with the man.  Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are two of my favorite games of all time (in my top 10, but not top 2, those spots go to the Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask).  Team ICO are one of the main reasons I bought my ps3.

Around the Network

With the Hollywood industry heavily investing into actually making games instead of just renting their franchises we might be not too far away from a game directed by him. Granted the few previous times something like that happened it was kind of a disaster...

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

colonelstubbs said:
I love Del Toro. Both Hellboy films were awesome.

And Pans Labyrinth is apparently some sort of milestone in cinema

Fantastic movie. In my top 5 for sure.

I agree with people saying that Ico and SotC are pieces of art. They are both beautiful, however, Ocarina of Time is, til this day, a stunning game.

chasmatic12 said:
colonelstubbs said:
I love Del Toro. Both Hellboy films were awesome.

And Pans Labyrinth is apparently some sort of milestone in cinema

Fantastic movie. In my top 5 for sure.

Gah, why?  Why the heck does everyone love Pan's Labrynth?  And why is Hellboy so esteemed?!

The whole del Toro love sickness many have is something I cannot understand.

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz
makingmusic476 said:
Torillian said:
I'd probably add in Portal. Was there any indication that he'd played the game? Since it's much newer than SotC or Ico.

He's a director (and a damn good one at that - Peter Jackson even signed him on to do the Hobbit films), so I think he's focusing more on story telling, or on games as a medium to express emotion, rather than really awesome gameplay (though I admit I do miss my weighted companion cube :'( ).

And I wholeheartedly agree with the man.  Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are two of my favorite games of all time (in my top 10, but not top 2, those spots go to the Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask).  Team ICO are one of the main reasons I bought my ps3.

Gameplay isn't why I'd call Portal a masterpiece though.  I think it had a great simplistic story with alot of character development, especially for a puzzle game, where story is usually just thrown in as a reason to get form A to B.

Around the Network
Torillian said:
makingmusic476 said:
Torillian said:

Gameplay isn't why I'd call Portal a masterpiece though.  I think it had a great simplistic story with alot of character development, especially for a puzzle game, where story is usually just thrown in as a reason to get form A to B.

I consider Portal a masterpiece because I don't think anything could've been done to make it better. The gameplay was fantastic, the plot was terrific and engaging, the setting was awesome, and the concept (the strongest part) was something we've never seen before. A masterpiece.

famousringo said:
Reasonable said:

Super Mario Bros. is a great game - but I don't see what I see looking at a painting or looking at an amazing building (or ICO).  I see a great game with zero meaning other than the fun you have playing it.  For me Art has to convey something - and it might just be me (although I know its not) but Super Mario Bros. is a great game but nothing more.  Now I've seen art featuring Mario character - but the game itself?  No.  Not by my definition of art.

Also, don't mix up a cultural artifact with a piece of art.  Batman is a cultural artifact, but you still have to create a piece of art featuring him to actually have something to regard.

And no - I don't think good game design is art anymore than I think the rules of Tennis is art.  A game of Tennis could be Art, as could a game of chess, etc.  But it would be a combination of the players, the event and what they create, not the game itself.

Of course a game conveys something. It conveys an experience, just as films, novels, and architecture do. Change the game designer, and you will get a different experience, because they will try to convey different ideas to the player according to their own beliefs.

Really, this kind of expression exists everywhere in the world. Architecture, marketing, industrial design... Yes, Torillian, even in how somebody decides to craft a sandwich. Some people take great care in their presentation of food. I've almost felt guilty for eating some meals which have been laid before me, but then I remember that consuming the meal is part of the experience that the chef has carefully crafted for me.

Whether you attach a great deal of meaning to a videogame experience or not is a subjective opinion, but when teams of people invest hundreds or thousands of man-hours to create an experience for you, they are trying to communicate with you, just as other artists are. And because this communication isn't in the form of a direct dialogue, we call it art.

What does Mario Super Bros. convey then?  Also, I'd make the distinction between 'accidental' art and intended art.  Good food presentation is nice and all - but what is its purpose?  To create art or to make your meal look nicer.  Anything can be art - but whether its Banksy with Graffeti or Warhol with silver blow up ballons there needs to be more than simply making something look nice (a building, food, etc) to qualify as true art IMHO.  The simple point is very few games are made to be works of art.  A lot of creative effort goes into them, but they are designed to be played and to make money for the most part and most (in fact probably 90%) are totally derivative of popular themes no matter what effort goes into design, etc.

It's like James Cameron says - there are films and movies.  He makes movies by his own admission - fun, well made, highly creative but not intended as high art.  I think he described Titanic as his 'accidental film' - although I'd actually argue with the man that Aliens and Terminator is the best work he's produced and the closest to high art.

Anyway you can't resolve something like this as despite their being certain views on what Art is there is a great deal of subjective opinion as well.

I'll stick with ICO and SOTC as games that are also art.  There are a few other games I'd consider too.  Silent Hill 2 and Portal for example.

Some of the greatest games ever are for me just games.  If you see some as art too then that's fine, too.  Oh, and thanks for one of the most intelligent debates I've had on the forums for a while - it sure makes a change from reading fanboys argue about PS3 vs 360...

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

We love you Guillermo del Toro!

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

El Laberinto del Fauno (Pan's Labyrinth) is indeed an excellent movie. Totally worth it and one of Del Toro's best works ever. The hellboy movies on the other hand are way weaker in comparison - in fact, The Golden Army "borrows" a lot from Pan's Laybirinth.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Never played either game he listed so i can't comment, but as for games as artwork these would be my list and reasons. (please forgive me if i leave your favs out, I don't have a lot of newer Zelda games or a few others considered to be gaming masterpieces)

Missile Command - A cold war narrative in game form.

Super Mario Bros - A rich 2D adventure in a fantasy world.

Sonic 2 - Teamwork can overcome the greatest of foes.

Super Metroid - Evil defeated by it's own evil intentions, and a good deed can ultimately come back around to you.

Super Mario 64 - A rich fully 3D adventure in a world of wonder.

Final Fantasy VII - A battle of good vs evil set in a beautiful alternate universe.

Resident Evil 2 - The evil thoughts and plans of men can sometimes be realized in real life with disastrous consequences.

Metal Gear Solid - Lies and deceit lead down dark paths.

Metroid Prime - A classic duel of good and Evil in a planet that has become corrupted.

Max Payne - Revenge leads down dark paths.

Halo - The brilliant struggle for humanity's survival can bring out the best in men.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting