By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Call of Duty: World at War - more Wii details

brute said:
Voltaire said:
Could someone explain just what the hell a 'shader' is? Id appreaciate it.

I am not sure what shaders are.But they could have used it,the Wii allows shaders,from what i hear Super Mario Galaxy uses shaders.

Also i am anticipating this a bit more then i was anticipating Call Of Duty 4,I think its cause i just like to play my games on Wii.

But thats not to say that i didnt love Call Of Duty 4.

Basically, a shader is a software instruction which is used to achieve certain graphical effects. Using SMG as an example, shaders give Mario's clothing a matte finish, while making other surfaces in the game look glossy.

Bumps, fur, there are tons of illusions that shaders can create.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Yeah the shader thing is disappointing. I'm pretty sure Nintendo made the TeV to be used, yet nobody uses it. Sad. I'm still getting either the Wii or PC version. Maybe both since I have more friends with wii's to play online.

Str8knox said:
Xman, halogamer, why the fuck did you Xbots come here in the 1st place....

to sound like big shots cause you are playing on a more powerful system or something? That matters I guess. /sarcasm.

that's why the 360 is failing now.

Ot: I am sooo getting this and the Ps3 version at the same time. The Ps3 version for the online, the Wii version for the online and controls. (controls are the major factor in a shooter for me.)

Is this some kind of joke? Untill you posted, this thread had a friendly matter, and nobody saying anything negative.

Then you come in, and endager the thread for bursting, and at the same time try to be belearning? Also, saying Xbots isn't the smartest thing you can do.

OT: This doesn't look like it's going to make it for me. Online Co-op means no splitscreen online, right?

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

- “We are using the same engine as the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC. While the Wii console itself has no hardware shaders, we do a diffuse and alpha pass on the textures.

Oh my god. They don't know about TEV. Can this be? No could not ... but ... oh my god.

That statement let my hopes for this game sink ... :(

Hey! You producers! The Wii/Gamecube has a new gpu, not the standard-pc-gpu you find in xbox/ps3/pc. The Wii has TEV that are more powerfull and need much less gpu and cpu-power than shaders to produce the same effects.

Sounds good and I hope it will be good enough to tide me over till the Conduit is out.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

Interesting, good post

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

It is kind of weird that most developers do not know about the existance of the TEV. Isn't it Nintendo's duty to inform developers how to program for their system?

It is kind of weird that most developers do not know about the existance of the TEV

LOL I am pretty sure that they know about the TEV. but although this may allow for some of the effects that are normally provided by shaders its not the same.

a)Its apparently pretty limited so you have to do quite a few pre-computations on CPU,
b) its most likely not even close as powerful and
c) its a completely different programming model to what everyone else is using and has therefore similar problems as the CELL processor of the PS3. Devs don't use it if they can get away without using it.

Kyros said:
It is kind of weird that most developers do not know about the existance of the TEV

LOL I am pretty sure that they know about the TEV. but although this may allow for some of the effects that are normally provided by shaders its not the same.

a)Its apparently pretty limited so you have to do quite a few pre-computations on CPU,
b) its most likely not even close as powerful and
c) its a completely different programming model to what everyone else is using and has therefore similar problems as the CELL processor of the PS3. Devs don't use it if they can get away without using it.

Well, developers may know it exists, but they don't know what its capabilities are. That's saddening. But I think it's completely Nintendo's fault.

They had me at same modes.

(Vehicle maps are cool too.)

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.