By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NEW Little Big Planet Preview-"The Next Big Thing". Doubters please enter.

little big planet is looking to be one of the biggest games this year.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network
Gnizmo said:
talkingparrot said:
Gnizmo said:
I want you to do me a favor before you go into a long arguement in this thread. I want you to go read every review you can find for Okami. I want you to look up the sales info on Okami next. Hopefully after that you will realize why some people are saying you shouldn't expect this game to be super huge just yet.

I want you to go do me a favor.  I want you to go find me one commercial of Okami.  Tell me one store that had Okami as a demo.  Find me preorder specials for Okami.  Show me promotional items for Okami.

Oh wait, you can't.

I have seen a thousand and one commercial for Warhawk and Ratchet and Clank as well and lets just glance at the sales numbers for those. A good game does not automatically mean huge sales. Just wait for it to be released and see how it does. Quircky titles are known for being critical smashes but commercial let downs. I don't have anything agains LBP but going over the top and hyping it as the next Mario is just ridiculous right now.

Warhawk doesn't really have all that much casual appeal.  R&C has some, but not that much, and it's not exactly the top of the heap in terms of platformers.  Also, neither games were advertised near as much as this LBP will be.

LBP, unlike most games, has a great combination of both casual and harcore appeal.  It's easy on the surface, but provides great depth for those who look for it, somewhat like Super Smash Bros., but far more so.  Not to mention, it's looking like it will be a critical success the likes of Bioshock.  Combine these factors with an insane marketing budget (Sony has stated this is their biggest release of the year - even bigger than Resistance 2), and you have the makings of a great success.

There's a certain combination of factors that makes titles like Animal Cross sell so damn well, and I think LBP has all of this, plus even more, as I believe that LBP caters to the hardcore just as much as the casual, while a title like Animal Crossing or the Sims catered more to the latter (not to say that that's a bad thing, as I think the Sims is a great series - haven't played too much Animal Crossing, though).

Gnizmo said:

NEW Little Big Planet Preview-"The Next Big Thing". Doubters please enter. 

Yeah I can totally tell you didn't want people like me responding.

I was referring to the quality of the title.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

leo-j said:

2 million LTD?

Are you mad?

Motorstorm ended up well over 4 million and its a racer!

I say alot more than 5 million LTD.

The game is being heavily advertised, and NO SORIKU dont say "HARDCORE WONT BUY IT, BECAUSE ITS NOT THE AUDIENCE FOR LBP", thats complete bull crap, I am a hardcore gamer, and so is badger, and dog, and they are buying it(not to mention evilman is crazy for it).

You included all the animals except Tallkingparrot Leo :(.

Anyways, my Sony boys are in.

On several occasions I've brought my own friends up into discussions here, from buying a 360 to the innards of each console. The LBP one is up next lol:

He only owns a 360, so everything about the PS3, mostly with new IPs, he downplays. With LBP, he was asking "what makes this worth $60?" And I would say something like user generated content, online community, create your own levels, tremendous replay value, etc. And the best thing he could rebut that with was "That's no different from N+ on XBL"......

Yes, you can creat levels on N+.....but to compare it to LBP, even by just the factor of scale, is ridiculous. Yeah, there definitely are detractors to this game. But hey, there were detractors to FFXIII to...before it went multiplatform

Around the Network

I have no doubt about this game becoming a great experience, but this game as a success based on the sales and user content, yeah, I can´t see it...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

A preview said an upcoming good is going to be good?! OMG! That has never happened before! Fortunately we all know that upcoming games are never hyped, and previews carefully point out the pros and cons of each title. [/sarcasm]

Look, I think Little Big Planet looks amazing. I'm also not convinced it will be a huge seller, unless Sony decides to bundle it with the hardware. I'm glad that the game is getting praise, but that in no way effects its sales potential. Lots of games I loved sold poorly, and games I hated sold well.

Saying "I'm not sure Little Big Planet will be a big seller" should not be interpreted as an attack on the PS3.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Who knows how well LBP will do. I wonder if the current userbase that the PS3 has won't limit the total sales amount.

Hard to tell, we'll see if this does a "Wii Fit" or a "Lair".

Huh. Who would've thought that beggining anew in my real life would coincide with starting anew on vgchartz?

Any day now, the dollar will be worth less than 2 zloty......any day now.....and my life savings will be in total jepordy ;(.

makingmusic476 said:

Warhawk doesn't really have all that much casual appeal.  R&C has some, but not that much, and it's not exactly the top of the heap in terms of platformers.  Also, neither games were advertised near as much as this LBP will be.

LBP, unlike most games, has a great combination of both casual and harcore appeal.  It's easy on the surface, but provides great depth for those who look for it, somewhat like Super Smash Bros., but far more so.  Not to mention, it's looking like it will be a critical success the likes of Bioshock.  Combine these factors with an insane marketing budget (Sony has stated this is their biggest release of the year - even bigger than Resistance 2), and you have the makings of a great success.

There's a certain combination of factors that makes titles like Animal Cross sell so damn well, and I think LBP has all of this, plus even more, as I believe that LBP caters to the hardcore just as much as the casual, while a title like Animal Crossing or the Sims catered more to the latter (not to say that that's a bad thing, as I think the Sims is a great series - haven't played too much Animal Crossing, though).

Fair enough. We will have to see how much advertising ends up happening for the game. Until we see that we can't really ciompare it to the advertising other games have seen. I just feel the need to speak up when people hype it too much. For example, Leo-j is using the sales of a game that was bundled for a great deal of time as an indicator of the sales of LBP.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

FJ-Warez said:
I have no doubt about this game becoming a great experience, but this game as a success based on the sales and user content, yeah, I can´t see it...

There is a complex rating system that will ensure good levels.  Plus I can't wait to play all those detail oriented levels from Japan.  Pure greatness.