By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NEW Little Big Planet Preview-"The Next Big Thing". Doubters please enter.

super_etecoon said:
talkingparrot said:

http://darkzero.co.uk/game-articles/littlebigplant-hands-on-ps3/

Here is the latest preview of Little Big Planet from Leipzig. I have highlighted some snippets for people who think this game will fail.

"Wonderfully, a recently revealed feature is the option to lip-synch your SackBoy when using a USB/Bluetooth headset with the PS3, making it appear as though your character is the one doing the talking."

"Succeeding in working together in passing obstacles or collecting those last elusive bits of Fluff is immensely satisfying gameplay, and failing in your objectives is hilarious – thanks to the physics and the personality of the SackBoys."

"Having played a four-player game with complete strangers and having a great laugh, I can state that LBP will arguably be the most entertaining co-op experience of the year."

"This game should have widespread appeal, and be one of the few Playstation 3 games that bridges the casual/hardcore divide. LittleBigPlanet may well be the Next Big Thing."

================

Two more things:

I have played this game and will be playing it again at PAX. I can wholeheartedly agree with that preview, both pros and cons. I don't post these articles often, but I think this one was inline with my impressions whole heartedly. If anyone wants my detailed impressions, just let me know.

I see people on this forum constantly belittling, prejudging, and outright mocking Little Big Planet. Most of these people do it out of an irrational hatred towards Playstation 3, however I feel like- I should put my two cents in. I'll say this once: If you remember the magic you felt the first time you played any of the Mario games, you will get the same feeling when you play this game. All you Wii owners, who are on the fence and fail to see any value in the Playstation 3, I think this will be the game (and hopefully Ratchet Quest for Booty) to make you question its worth. Without further ado, please read and respond.

Um...care to provide some links?

Little Big Planet is one of the few titles coming out that everyone seems to agree will be great. It is the game that people that do not own PS3's most often claim they want on their console.

I don't have any links either, but I have seen many comments like "all you do is jump?" or "Is there more to it then that? It looks like it would get boring pretty quick"

Also, 50 levels with launch = huzzah!

Around the Network
FJ-Warez said:
talkingparrot said:
FJ-Warez said:
I have no doubt about this game becoming a great experience, but this game as a success based on the sales and user content, yeah, I can´t see it...

There is a complex rating system that will ensure good levels.  Plus I can't wait to play all those detail oriented levels from Japan.  Pure greatness.

Have you ever enter on a site with some levels made by the users???

The amount of fail is inmense, and this game need great support from the comunity in order to achieve the success

The ratings system is going to help ensure quality levels. But also, don't be surprised to see not only Media Molecule adding levels for download, but also other Sony internal studios creating their own levels and throwing 'em in the game. There's going to be all kinds of cross promotional mayhem going on with LBP. 

Also, have you ever heard of Unreal Tournament? Have you ever seen the amazing user generated content in those games? That series has practically lived off of user generated content. Half-Life is another one. 

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Soriku said:
lol I'm not selling my Wii. It has better upcoming games than the PS3 IMO.

If he can really tell you a place ot get a 60gb for $350 i'd say try to convince your parent. Try the Blu-Ray card after i put together a Slide Show about how beneficial Blu-Ray would be for future Movie purchases my parents almostd wanted the PS3 as much as I did.

I'm still busy praying for a PS3 Tales game though. I haven't played a Tales game since my 20th run through Abyss T_T

talkingparrot said:
Soriku said:
@leo-j

You know Motorstorm was bundled right? No wonder it sold 5 million.

Also, tbh, I prefer games like Valkyria and Disgaea on the PS3. As many of you know I'm a HUUUGE RPG fan and those look great. I'm usually up for single player experiences that last me a long time. I don't own games like SSBB and MK Wii because of that. I'm going to buy 3 new games this year...all RPGs. That's why I say I mighf not buy it if I ever owned a PS3. But whatever. It's not like I'm buying a PS3 soon :P

Get a PS3 Soriku.  Valkyria, Versus, FFXIII, Disagaea 3, Eternal Sonata, and the eventual port of Vesperia, alongside all those rad unique titles.  Come on Soriku, join us.

We had discussion about Tales of Vesperia and it isn't likely to go to PS3 (MS moneyhat).

Anyway, you are an hypocrite. You start a thread with a superlative title "The Next Big Thing" and when people try to discuss the potential sales of the game, you say you're only talking about the quality of the game. As others pointed, there are few people that think the game will be bad but there are a lot that think the game will not perform so well. We're on a sales website, it's no wonder people want to talk about sales.

So, if you want to discuss whether LBP will indeed be the next big thing, we're open to the discussion.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Soriku said:
lol I'm not selling my Wii. It has better upcoming games than the PS3 IMO.

Good have fun with wii music, and wii sports resort, while I have fun with Valkyria chronicles, resistance 2, motorstorm pacific rift, mirrors edge, and little big planet (which I can make an RPG if I want).

mM
Around the Network

Its interesting, I'm on this forum about as much as (just about) anyone else and I have not seen one person bash or belittle Little Big Planet ... I have seen many people counter the insane expectations of perfect scores, and impossibly high sales, with more reasonable expectations though.

Although, claiming that Grand Theft Auto wouldn't kill the Wii was seen as "Bashing the greatness of Grand Theft Auto" so maybe any realistic discussion about games released on the PS3 is seen as bashing the game; after all reality has an anti-Sony bias.

No doubt this game will be great and all, but I doubt this game will become a hit. I can't see much of the PS3's userbase embracing this game. And as for it selling PS3's I don't think that's possible and I blame the high price and the Wii. It's gonna have a Ratchet kind of success IMO.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Hahahah we need to help convince Soriku's parents to let him get a PS3.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

trestres said:
No doubt this game will be great and all, but I doubt this game will become a hit. I can't see much of the PS3's userbase embracing this game. And as for it selling PS3's I don't think that's possible and I blame the high price and the Wii. It's gonna have a Ratchet kind of success IMO.

People said the same thing about Guitar Hero, Rock Band, and Wii Sports.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

I love how every ps3 fan is trying to convince someone else to buy a ps3 xD thats just priceless.

But yeah, lets wait about LBP. It can be good, but lets just wait. I dont wanna see 1,000 threads about the game bombing if it does U.u