By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Any Body Know how much a ps3 actually cost sony to produce?

321tttrini4everz said:
at release,about $800
now, around $550

think they loosing about $130 each console for the least

You're wrong. Everyone who thinks that PS3s are still selling at a loss is wrong. PS3s cost about $400 to manufacture back in JANUARY. There is no way it costs more to manufacture them now than it did 9 months ago due to the lower prices of hardware components, it must cost a good amount LESS than $400 to manufacture them nowadays.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ps3-production-costs-halved-says-analyst

Around the Network

There could possibly be the new 65nm RSX chip in the new 80GB/160GB SKU, would they be saving money with them?

Seihyouken said:
321tttrini4everz said:
at release,about $800
now, around $550

think they loosing about $130 each console for the least

You're wrong. Everyone who thinks that PS3s are still selling at a loss is wrong. PS3s cost about $400 to manufacture back in JANUARY. There is no way it costs more to manufacture them now than it did 9 months ago due to the lower prices of hardware components, it must cost a good amount LESS than $400 to manufacture them nowadays.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ps3-production-costs-halved-says-analyst

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05/15/sony-losing-260-on-each-ps3-sold/1

posted on may 2008

The dropped the quality down some, so the people who got the first PS3's got the real hardware. It dropped from over 800 dollars in value to 400.

All i can say that Sony is still taking loss in PS3 hardware.

@people who argue the price: As someone pointed out, 400$ cost is plausible number. But, Sony isn't selling PS3:s at retail price. They sell them a lot lower. The retail price includes manufacturing, shipping, storing, other Sony/retailer expenses and retail profit.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

maybe around 500$ because any way they are loosing lot of money so

bdbdbd said:
All i can say that Sony is still taking loss in PS3 hardware.

@people who argue the price: As someone pointed out, 400$ cost is plausible number. But, Sony isn't selling PS3:s at retail price. They sell them a lot lower. The retail price includes manufacturing, shipping, storing, other Sony/retailer expenses and retail profit.

Yeah I was talking about hardware, but if you add in all of the extras it still is a loss.

@Playnext: But in order to say that, you need to know at what price is Sony selling them.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Gilgamesh said:

There could possibly be the new 65nm RSX chip in the new 80GB/160GB SKU, would they be saving money with them?

Hardware redesigns are long term savings but short term losses. Basically they spend, let's just say 1,000,000$ to test the 40 GB PS3 and it saves them 1$ a system(not actual numbers just for argument sake) they are theoretically saving money but they have to pay initial testing and design to shrink the chips etc. In addition factories need to be altered to handle the change. I'm not sure how much that requires in money or time but I know it's not free.

My guess would be somewhere between 450 and 500$ to produce it.

I have my doubts that the PS3's hardware is (paritcularly) profitable right now ...

Blu-Ray players are (for the most part) being sold at a higher price than the PS3 and, besides the Blu-Ray drive, have less complicated and expensive components than the PS3 does. Certainly, these players are going to be sold at a pretty decent profit, but I find it a little hard to believe that the PS3 is turining a profit at $400 and Blu-Ray players are charging more to turn a profit when their manufacturing costs should be much lower.