By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Any Body Know how much a ps3 actually cost sony to produce?

Any Body Know how much a ps3 actually cost sony to produce?

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

Around the Network

Nobody knows for sure. If I were to guess, they are probably about breaking even on hardware costs now.

It's one of the cheapest and best Blu-Ray players around and offers so much more!

I think they still generate a significant loss on the hardware, you will have to take into account additional costs for support, marketing, retail profit share in the retail price, continued improvements of the OS, etc as well next to just the component and manufacturing costs.

Having said that I think Sony's gaming division will post a healthy profit this year. They earn back a lot of their investments through much improved PS3 software sales, still OK PS2 software and hardware sales as well as from PSP sales.

From a technological perspective you get a great deal at current PS3 pricing.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Break even most likely accounting just the hardware, but has MikeB said if you had marketing and workers etc its probably still a loss.

But with improved software sales on PS3 and PSP and extremely improved hardware sales for PS3 and PSP they will post a healthy profit this year.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

I think right know its about 400

Around the Network

probably still selling at a loss even if we dont consider marketing and other expensses.

currently, ps3 is at $399 at retail. this would mean that sony's list price would be lower than 399.

of course, this also depends on the region. in the us, its probably selling at a loss, but in europe, its probably breakeven.

Remember about things like costs to do with delivering PS3's to retailers. In Australia the manufacturers pay these costs not the stores. I assume its the same elsewhere.

Splenda14 said:
I think right know its about 400

true true

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Consoles owned: Game Cube, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3.

My prediction: NATAL WILL NOT help 360 sales. Maybe a 50-100k boost week 1, then a 30-70 k boost week 2, and back to the norm again after 3-5 weeks.

Earlier this year, they said that the PS3 production costs had been halved (it was about $816 in 2006), so I would say around $400

BMaker11 said:
Earlier this year, they said that the PS3 production costs had been halved (it was about $816 in 2006), so I would say around $400

Actually an analyst outside of Sony estimated that Sony had cut costs in half. Sony hasn't said a thing.

Considering the games division last quarter only reported a $50million profit when the PS2 and PSP businesses are both profitable and the PS3 software business is profitable, they must be losing money on the PS3 hardware. That quarter had the benefit of GT5:P, GTAIV, and MGS4 releasing, so this quarter they'll probably post a loss.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.