By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Any Body Know how much a ps3 actually cost sony to produce?

Geldorn said:

Surely this can't be right?

Their accounting/ERP system really should have that data available - or Sony would not know how much money it has at the end of the day and I'm sure that's not the case (not to mention that'd be illegal)!

(It's probably not available in the most direct of forms, but it really must be available somewhere. I've not yet seen any ERP system that didn't offer this data though. And for good reason. Besides, companies like Sony are not likely to buy single parts at the current cost price anyway - it's highly irregular not to have short to medium term contracts for pricing of parts)

Sony will know how much it cost to make x-thousand PS3s quite accurately.

However, Sony have spent money this year on reducing the size of the cell/RSX, upgrading production facilities, new controller designs, advertising etc.  those are one-off costs, and most wouldn't be considered in the price to make a ps3.

So, I'd guess the PS3 probably costs less than $400 per unit to manufacture, but the PS3 is unlikely to make sony a direct profit in the direct future.

Around the Network
Aprisaiden said:
@Bokal -- don't forget to factor in Tax, Retailer Cut, Transport costs, etc...

Retailer cut, transport costs, etc exists everywhere in the world.

So removing an average 20% tax for Europe to be fair, we get:

400$ for the US

330€ for Europe = 480$ (I made a mistake in my last post)

Anyway, I was trying to point that if the PS3 costs 400$ to produce (as many claimed), Sony is not losing money in Others.

(To me, transport costs are part of the cost of production. I have absolutely no idea about how much the retailer cut can be, but I assume it's less than 20%)

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

^ Retail margins are higher in Europe than US, but 20% is probably a decent ballpark figure.

Anyway, assuming average EU VAT of 20%, and retail margin of 20% would put Sony's price at €278 or $407.

Assuming a slightly lower US retail margin of 15% would result in Sony's price at $348.

PS3 almost certainly loses less money in EU than US, although much of this is due to exchange rate fluctuations, or more specifically the weak US dollar.

Of course there is still additional costs such as shipping, distribution, import tax etc, but those probably don't add a significant amount, maybe 5%, but higher fuel and labour costs would probably mean this is slightly higher in EU than US.

PS3 is probably close to breaking even in EU, but still losing a significant amount in US. Japan is probably somewhere in between.

Bokal said:
Geldorn said:
@Bokal: you're forgetting there is a 15-25% tax on goods in Europe, which by law has to be precalculated in the price of sale (exact percentage is dependent on country)

So although both the Netherlands and Luxembourg will have the PS3 at €399 at the store, Sony will make more money in Luxembourg because the VAT is only 15% there rather than the 19% it is in the Netherlands.

You're right. Let's assume 20% taxes. It makes the PS3 320€ = 470$

The % is on brutto not netto. So its 333 € thats about 490$.

But you also have to consider some more points. Higher retailer margin, higher costs (more languages/country/shops) and warranty (by default 2 years in E.U.).

Stringer (Sony CEO): "We are already making more money with the games than we are losing with the hardware."

Recent interview with German news outlet Welt Online.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
WiiStation360 said:

Nobody knows for sure. If I were to guess, they are probably about breaking even on hardware costs now.

Not true, there are dozens of people at Sony who know. Sadly, they are not telling anyone :(.

MikeB said:

Stringer (Sony CEO): "We are already making more money with the games than we are losing with the hardware."

Recent interview with German news outlet Welt Online.

Which means that they're losing less than the licencing fees of their average weekly tie-ratio worth of games (roughly 4.5 games) and their average weeks worth of first party software sales ... That puts the upper limit at around $50 to $75 and since he admits the hardware is losing money the lower limit is $0.

@ HappySquirriel

It means taking VGChartz data (15th of August), if correct.

Profits from 1,158,614 PS3 software sales a week (higher margins from Sony published titles) are bigger than loses generated by 134,333 PS3 hardware sales a week. Ratio games to consoles ~8.62.

This ratio will improve further down the PS3's lifecycle due to a growing number of already installed PS3 userbase vs new PS3 sales, people already owning PS3s have had more time to build up their software collection.

Hardware costs will go down, average software sales per week will go up. Things are looking good this year and for the long run.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales