By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
URNotE said:
yay microsoft finally admitted they designed a defective product... after all these years of sided stepping the question

And after applying a one year warranty because of the exact same problem. Sure the best route would have been to make things work in the first place, but this is tremendous news, and could really translate into a big sales boost.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Woof said:
friedtofu said:
Good to see a big company owning up to its problems. Go Microsoft!

thats owing up to problems, where do they say they have a major problem and are accepting fault for hiding it for over a year ?

"things break"

They're fixing the problem and refunding peoples' money. That's all you can ask for. Now go troll someplace else, Blue.

Not quite true. We can ask them not release a shoddily-built system in the first place, saving both gamers and themselves a lot of hassle and expense.

Wat dam this is good for 360 owners very good, but bad for microsoft, 1 billion is a little exagerated, but atleast now more reliable.

mM

Am I the only one that finds it humorous that Sony fanboys like Woof and URNotE are taking shots at MS for this when Sony had to be sued over DRE before they took any serious action?

Holy cow.

I guess this was the only move they had left. Great news for 360 owners! (And potential 360 owners.)

They better get that console redesign going. They need to get it in place fast, so this doesn't cost them the billion dollars they think it could. That big of a loss would delay profitability of the division by at least a year, and possibly delay a price cut.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

I'm getting $130 back!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Still not getting a 360 until they FIX the problem! I'm not convinced its purely heat related...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

ckmlb said:

1 billion dollars because they made a crappy system.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/19608137/for/cnbc/

It's good, but you gotta know that the system they send you back is refurbished.

Obviously this is better than not having coverage at all after 1 year (previous policy).

Double edged sword really: first it costs them money, but they reassure owners of the 360.

On the other hand this sends a signal to everyone else who was going to buy a 360 that the failure rates are definitely massive if they are going to all this trouble to cover it.

How much would have the extra R&D cost to make it right the first time around. This is what they get for rushing to be the first on the scene, screw em(I've got to say that twice today =) You're right it does send mixed messages to consumers, especially ones that were waiting to purchase a 360. I'm still not getting one though.

@whoever asked, it was 90 days(which was ridiculous) then 1 yr(standard) now 3 yr(seems it needed to be)

@Parokki, who needs to take note? I don't remeber Sony or Nintendo, at least h/w wise, cutting corners into making unreliable systems. Only MS seems to be having massively more issues than is the norm with regards to electronic devices. Like I said, it's what they get for rushing.

@Bodhestva, now everyone DOES love the box! LOL

vizunary said:

I don't remeber Sony or Nintendo, at least h/w wise, cutting corners into making unreliable systems. 

How about the time Sony got its ass sued off for defective PS2s?

At least MS was decent enough to head off any lawsuits by extending the warranty and adding a heat sink to refurbed 360s. That beats the hell out of the "we'll give you $25 or a free game" crap that Sony settled for.

Thanks, Sony. I always wanted another game for my busted PS2.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I was under the impression that the 360 had worked it's way through the reliability problems.