By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - First Spore Review from PC Powerplay Magazine

ssj12 said:
brute said:
pichu_pichu said:
that's good... I'll wait for other reviews though...

but its not too good for spore,i wanted higher

im sorry but i never even heard of PC Powerplay so why should i care about this review?

its not really credible,but im saying that i expected and wanted a bit higher from reviews,but still thats a great score

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

Wow, these guys aren't very smart.

They praise its Limitless custom content, but criticise it for being Not deep enough.

Hmm, i think their problem was that they were bound to end up dissapointed because they played it as seperate stages instead of as one continuous game"

Now, some of their other 'cons'
"all about the creator" pardon. First off, Will Wright is a legend, second, I think the game is about the evolution of life from single celled organisms to masters of a galaxy. Now, I may be wrong - it could turn out that the creature creator only allows you to create creates that look like Will Wright.

"Designed for Non-gamers"
What the fuck? they were playing against the prebuilt creatures, presumably on easy difficulty so they could finish early and go to the pub. As soon as custom created creatures appear and you turn it to a harder difficulty setting, this game will be satisfying for core gamers. Also, cute graphics =/= casual gameplay.

pcpowerplay is the most widely distributed pc only gaming mag in Australia. Its very popular. In general its quite a good mag but since its pc only it can be quite elitist as most pc enthusiast communities tend to be. Nevertheless it got a good score 9/10 isn't anything to complain about.

They praise its Limitless custom content, but criticise it for being Not deep enough.

That's a difference. Having 2 billion creatures that all interact in 3 ways has limitless content but is not deep. In the end there HAD to be some compromises somewhere. And if you target a game at the mainstream like they do you couldn't expect Civilization komplex management of your "civilization". The first and last stage look like minigames anyway. Which is not bad.

91% in PC Gamer UK.

Around the Network

I already asked this question in another thread, but I want to get the max number of answers : The SECUrom(DRM) can be a major problem in this title?
Does intrude in your pc in a invasive way?
I just read that in the amazon discussion forum and i was scared.

VASCO DA GAMA CAMPEÃO DA COPA DO BRASIL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS VASCÃO

VICE É O CARALH*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

aavidbacon said:
I already asked this question in another thread, but I want to get the max number of answers : The SECUrom(DRM) can be a major problem in this title?
Does intrude in your pc in a invasive way?
I just read that in the amazon discussion forum and i was scared.

I believe they removed that.  Or at least the evasive part. I think it's just a installation limit now... or something weird like that.  Which i believe you can just contact EA for new keys anyway.  Though i may be wrong.

Hmm, 9/10 is definitely living up the the hype.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Kyros said:

That's a difference. Having 2 billion creatures that all interact in 3 ways has limitless content but is not deep. In the end there HAD to be some compromises somewhere. And if you target a game at the mainstream like they do you couldn't expect Civilization komplex management of your "civilization". The first and last stage look like minigames anyway. Which is not bad.

Yeah, they really couldn't implement extremely deep gameplay in a game with the scope of Spore. Doing so in a game that takes you from microbe to intergalactic civilization would just bog the game down.

Mile wide and inch deep is the perfect phrase to describe such a game.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Hm, those cons are just what I'm worried about.