By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Code Geass... Best Anime Ever ?

ZZeta would you please elaborate on the flaws ? Dont just come in here saying something is flawed without offering up at least some sort of explanation.

Around the Network

never heard of it

Wolf's Rain > Xam'd > Geass

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Never really liked Rain, I found it really weird. Also I havnt seen Xam'd yet

I will easily agree Code Geass>death note though I don't think its the best anime ever. Though lately code geass is the only newer anime that has had me interested.

Around the Network
Necromunda said:
ZZeta would you please elaborate on the flaws ? Dont just come in here saying something is flawed without offering up at least some sort of explanation.

Fair enough. First off let me say that i really enjoy Geass and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys anime and i don't by any means think it's a bad or sub-par series, far from it in fact. The first season was indeed very good, it ran at a good fast pace and introduced its characters and set up its world really well while continuing to keep the story interesting. The only real issue i have with the first season is that some of its supporting cast members were not handled very well and ended up being either annoying, or uninteresting but it was not a huge problem. The other would be that the last 2 episodes felt slightly out of place and the show seemed to degrade it'self by having the Gawain becoming a Freedom-esq spam machine, but i can forgive the staff because they had to rewrite the show to allow for a second season and were limited by time.

Proper flaws begin at R2. The first 2 episodes were great but after that the show slowed down dramatically and a large number of the episodes following just didn't seem to make good use of the time. I think that a large part of the first half of R2 could be cut with little Consequence. A large number of episodes just didn't seem to go anywhere. I was reminded somewhat of Gundam 00's first half where most of the first half was episodic and served little other purpose than to introduce characters and establish its universe before picking up in pace during the second half. Now i don't have a problem with this approach at all but whereas 00 had ground to cover in establishing its complex political climate and large cast, Code Geass had already done this during its first season. So the slow pace of R2's first half wasn't really necessary and i feel that the time could have been spent more effectively.

The other issue is with deu ex machina. This was already an annoyance in the first season but even more so in R2. Characters and events happen at JUST the right moment and it ends up feeling very forced and unlikely. Whether it be Kallen's falling mid-series upgrade (which gave me bad flashbacks to Seed Destiny) or the Gurren happily deciding to run out of energy at just the right moment so she can be captured, some of it feels a little...contrived.

Regardless i'm still enjoying the series and i'm really interested to see how it will end, i think its going very far to call it a masterpiece. When i think of highly renowned classics like Cowboy Bebop, Zeta Gundam or Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Code Geass as good as it is totally and utterly outclassed by titles like those. The series has been getting progressively better since episode 13 and it back up to its usual season one standard but even that isn't enough to be as good at series of that caliber.

Nonetheless i do enjoy Geass and will watch it through to the end and i'm sure i'll be satisfied with the ending it'll provide, i'll buy the DVD's when they are released and i'll watch the series all over again with great enthusiasm, but to put it simply, there are other animes out there that are simply better than Code Geass, but there are an awful lot more that are much worse.

I feel Rurouni Kenshin, FMA and Cowboy Bebop are better...

Former something....

Okay some decent points are put here but I dont agree with all of them. Shure the anime got a little slowish at the beginning but thats not always something horrible. IMO the thing that I like most about Geass is that it does like I said before have amazingly done (IMO Anyways) plot twists. Some characters I dont really like as well (The only true one being Nina she always pissed me off. Oh and Bebop, for some reason I never really liked it, story didnt intregue me or get me involved. IMO the only anime I can say ive ever really REALLY liked was Outlaw Star, oh and I liked Air Gear too, was pissed when they decided to cancel both lol. Ive also recently been watching some Macross Frontier (Decent) and occasionally Nabari No Ou and rarely some Amatsuki. Currently though Code Geass is the only anime airing which actually manages to peak my interest.

Oh and also I keep up on of course Bleach although the fillers in that anime can be grueling although when the main story gets going the Anime shows its true colors.

Necromunda said:
Okay some decent points are put here but I dont agree with all of them. Shure the anime got a little slowish at the beginning but thats not always something horrible. IMO the thing that I like most about Geass is that it does like I said before have amazingly done (IMO Anyways) plot twists. Some characters I dont really like as well (The only true one being Nina she always pissed me off. Oh and Bebop, for some reason I never really liked it, story didnt intregue me or get me involved. IMO the only anime I can say ive ever really REALLY liked was Outlaw Star, oh and I liked Air Gear too, was pissed when they decided to cancel both lol. Ive also recently been watching some Macross Frontier (Decent) and occasionally Nabari No Ou and rarely some Amatsuki. Currently though Code Geass is the only anime airing which actually manages to peak my interest.

I don't mind a slower pace either, i really enjoyed Serial Experiments Lain which had a slow pace but in a show about great plot twists it just didn't gell with the tone of the series. Thankfully the pace is back up post episode 13.