By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What Wii core gamers must understand, Wii/consoles IS A TOY its for KIDS...

Well ,kiddies is a big market ,Nintendo knows what it does aiming for those.

Thing is those kids also grow up and then they will want to play something else ,and Nitnendo will still be aiming kiddies and casual gamers.

Casual gaming is allright ,they have right to play something.But it cant be the future of the industry ....because casual things are a lot of times just fads ,and can hang on 1 ,2 ,even 5 or six years but theres always the risk of another thing coming that becomes the casual/trendy thing and displaces you.And if the focus of the industry is on casual gaming and casual gaming is displaced by something else then the industry would ultimately collapse.At least core gamers are solid and loyal and will keep going.

By the way ,the industry was growing year on year since the PS1 came so no risk of imploding ...and without having to actually change the focus 80% to casual gaming.

Around the Network
Diomedes1976 said:

Thing is those kids also grow up and then they will want to play something else ,and Nitnendo will still be aiming kiddies and casual gamers.

Casual gaming is allright ,they have right to play something.But it cant be the future of the industry ....because casual things are a lot of times just fads ,and can hang on 1 ,2 ,even 5 or six years but theres always the risk of another thing coming that becomes the casual/trendy thing and displaces you.And if the focus of the industry is on casual gaming and casual gaming is displaced by something else then the industry would ultimately collapse.At least core gamers are solid and loyal and will keep going.

By the way ,the industry was growing year on year since the PS1 came so no risk of imploding ...and without having to actually change the focus 80% to casual gaming.

Nintendo covers all ages, when I was a kid I played SMB and I still do because it still is fun. And by the way Zelda, Metroid are not kiddie games. And one more thing just because one game can be played by all doesn’t mean it cold be completed by all. Anyone can play Galaxy because its friendly fore all witch opens it up to a broader audience. 

But not everybody will complete it   

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

That video was absolutely spot on.

This isn't even about Nintendo vs Sony/MS so all you fanboys out there making it such can yack yourselves silly with off topic rhetoric all you want. It won't change the circumstance one bit.

This is about market capacity, input/output yields and maturity progression.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Diomedes1976 said:

Children are the core gamers that keep the industry going. There is no question about that. BTW, the PS2 was the casual system of choice last generation.

BMaker11 said:
I guess a gun is a "toy" too, when people enjoy taking them to a firing range or gun club........

Ok, then if everything that is enjoyable is a "toy" and "toys" are for kids, I guess luxury sports cars, computers, new TVs, I dunno...dead weights for lifting, etc, are all for kids.....I think not.

Wow does it really bother you that much to accept that you own and play with toys?

Your paintball gun, the luxury sports car, the computer, the TV, are all toys.  Some may be toys for adults but they are toys nevertheless.

"The difference between men and boys is the size of their toys."

Toys are not exclusive to the domain of children.  This is the same mentallity that makes people believe that extreme violence makes a game "Mature".  It might mean an M rating but its not very mature in the true sense of the word.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network
Sqrl said:
BMaker11 said:
I guess a gun is a "toy" too, when people enjoy taking them to a firing range or gun club........

Ok, then if everything that is enjoyable is a "toy" and "toys" are for kids, I guess luxury sports cars, computers, new TVs, I dunno...dead weights for lifting, etc, are all for kids.....I think not.

Wow does it really bother you that much to accept that you own and play with toys?

Your paintball gun, the luxury sports car, the computer, the TV, are all toys.  Some may be toys for adults but they are toys nevertheless.

Toys are not exclusive to the domain of children.  This is the same mentallity that makes people believe that extreme violence makes a game "Mature".  It might mean an M rating but its not very mature in the true sense of the word.

While I agree with the video and that consoles are toys, I hardly think computers are if you're not gaming on them. Sure, I can play some Flash games once in a while but most of the time, it's used for work.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Godot said:
Sqrl said:

While I agree with the video and that consoles are toys, I hardly think computers are if you're not gaming on them. Sure, I can play some Flash games once in a while but most of the time, it's used for work.

Depending of how you use it, anything can be a toy. Even humans can be toys lol.

Godot said:
Sqrl said:

The point is a computer is a toy if it's your personal computer and you use it primarily for entertainment and enjoyment.  There are computers that aren't toys, but the majority of people who visit this website use their PCs as a toy.

To Each Man, Responsibility

I've watch the whole video and that guy is a nintendo fanboy ignore him :P

It's not his best work, but his thesis is correct in this one.