By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What Wii core gamers must understand, Wii/consoles IS A TOY its for KIDS...

Consoles are toys, and they should stay as toys.

Main market of toys is for kids and that's because they have the most time available for playing with them. Once you grow up you may end watching your kid playing while you prepare his food.

Of course, anyone can play with toys, not only kids. However older people tend to play less and that's why you fail by having them as the main audience.

Around the Network

I love adult toys... ;)

But he is right about getting older and spending more time & money on.. life itself.. I'm spending a lot less time & money on games now then I was 16.. So he is right about that they should focus on the core audience of games: the Kids..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

It took him ten minutes to say that?

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

i think the guy is absolutely spot on with his comments, I too felt the same about many things, especially the box comments focusing on tech specs rather than characters and storylines.

good video well made and this is the sacrifice made as development costs get higher and higher as thinking outside the box goes on the cons list rather than the pro's when new games are specced out - there's just too much money involved.

This is why if you look at game sales of Lego Indiana jones, Lego Star Wars, Wall-E or basically any other multiplat main stream franchise then PS2 is always up there with Wii and DS. This audience may never commit to next gen as the hardware it's just too costly and if they do it will more than likely be the Wii or DS as there's not a lot to offer for them on the HD offerings.

This is the pie that Apple want a slice of

Around the Network

Interesting commentary in the video. More people are starting to read the writing on the wall. Ironically once an idea is understood and accepted by the mainstream it's usually not relevant anymore in an actionable fashion. The relevance usually comes as the starting point for the eventual post mortem.

One over-arching theme that the commentator in the video alluded to but didn't specifically make is this: the core gaming audience for games has been and always will be children. Any company that aspires to be a gaming company ignores them at their own peril.

I think the guy is avoiding some really key pieces of information to make his point.

How is this different than SNES and Genesis or PS1 and N64? This generation has an almost complete disregard for younger gamers on the two HD consoles. 3 or 4 quality family games is not enough.

But it's nothing new.

Nintendo brings in new gamers every generation... they are called portables. Nintendo just doing well in consoles now.

Gaming is not at risk like comics.

Comics had to go up in price. 25 cents was not profitable anymore. That's why newspapers fail and magazines succeed. There was no lack of kid friendly titles, there was a lack of profitability from cheap comics.

Games have always been the way it is. Yes development costs are too high now, but it has grown with a growing market. Comic production costs didn't go up on the production labor side it went up on the cost of materials, transportation, and retail labor.

I agree that console are toys.

To the people that says the PS3 is a movie player, what do you think a movie player is? It's a thing we use for entertainment... that isn't to different than a GIJoe, a thing we use for entertainment.

Games, Entertainment Devices, and Dolls are all toys.

Whether it's a little plastic replica of a boat or a real recreational vessel... guess what? Toys.

A basketball or football? A toy.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

The video makes an excellent point. MS found a fat cow and started milking it. Sony had a herd of cows but left them to focus on milking a fat cow too. Nintendo has stepped in and gathered up all the other cows and is running a dairy farm.

Eventually people will get tired of yet another action or FPS that plays the same as the last gazillion games. This is normal. But normally new people step in to take their place but as the video points out, MS and surprisingly, especially Sony aren't pulling in a newer, younger audience to replace the old fat (bored) cow. They are just milking the cow dry and hoping beyond hope that Nintendo's cows will 'migrate' to them.

@steve

It's a series, I enjoyed the 10 minutes so I watched most of the other videos. His videos back each other up, I'll say that he has a standing point since video 1 and by 11 that point was made crystal clear.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

This shows how short sighted Sony and MS are. nice video

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(