By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Here it is Folks! Why FFVII is one of the BEST GAMES EVAA!!!

Wow, FFVII? Its not one of the best game in the series, let alone the genre or ever. The story had more holes in it that a warehouse full of swiss cheese. Sephiroth is one the most overrated and paper thin main antagonist in RPG history. The graphics and sound were worse than FFVI on SNES. The gameplay dumbed down to a level just above Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. I thought this was joke thread at first but sadly I was mistaken.

Around the Network
forevercloud3000 said:
Kasz216 said:

That and the market campaign which made the Halo campaign look silly in comparison. It was one of the main focuses of a 100 Million dollar campaign in the US.

In the UK they spend 100 Million pounds. Which is like 2 million for the UK alone.

It was mostly the money. There is a reason most critics rate the game below FF6 and FF4 in the "best games of all time list".

Ranking well below other RPGs as well such as Balders gate and Chrono Trigger.... really only being mentioned for the massive sales and making FF mainstream.

Some things are big because they're considered good, others are considered good because they are big.

FF7 is a case of the later.

Outside of number of dimensions it's behind FF6 in every way in my opinion... including graphics. the 2-D sprites were much better art direction wise then the weird blockshapen characters that were everywhere outside of the FMVs. (which just made the rest of the game worse.)

Note I bought a PS1 for FF7 too... as Square is the only company I was ever a fanboy for.

I find that statement to be false. Like I said in OP, it has become cool to not like FFVII because of it's obvious rabid fanbase. And I have played 4 and 6 before playing 7 and never actually liked them as much. While I do agree they are superb games and all they dont have what 7 has. 4 had the most "BLAH" translation of character I have ever seen. Everything they were thinking was said in plain text instead of using a little metaphore or action to tell it. Same with 6, six had some great characters that had real drive, but the way they made some of them act out was just rediculous.

And FFVII's cube bodies were used to it's benefit. Whenever Cloud would shake his block hands in the air you knew he was angry. The look added a certain level of charm to the game as well, just as the sprites did for FF6(others before were just ugly).

Now to play the remakes of III and IV on DS is a different story. THey redid the dialogue to make it suit the characters better. The redisign is reminicent of FFVII(which you seem to not like so much) which in turn gives IV the same glorified charm.

It may be cool to hate FF7 because of it's fanbase... but like i said. I played FF7 at launch, after having played every American Final Fantasy and it was nothing but a bitter dissapointment. To date, it's still probably my least favorite Square-Enix game.

I've bought and given away the game 3 times... at the end of the day. There just isn't anything there that compares to the really good RPGS.

The characters in FF7 were just horrible in my opinion, and as for the actual gameplay mechanics... they were giant steps back from 4 and 6. They took the worst parts of the 4 and 6 battle systems and combined them for some reason.

Luckily Square Enix made it up to me with Front Mission 3. One of the best SRPGS to date.  That and the re-releases of Tactics Ogre and Ogre Battle. Though I believe that was before the merge.

Also the Final Fantasy Chronicles collection.  I was happy with the my PS1... but after how bad FF7 was a vowed to never again by a system for 1 game... because no matter how good a track record... it could suck.

forevercloud3000 said:

Never said FFVII was bigger than any of the other POP faves, I just said it was one.

And I know PPl will dissagree, tis the point. I asked anyone who differed in opinion than me to post why they think so.

You didnt read the last line did you?

No, I did read it - that's why I said responding with an essay is sort of useless, since it'd end up the same - you'd claim others' favs are inferior to FF7, the characters, story, etc.  Basically, neither opinion would change from such arguments... if you already knew that, though, then I didn't need to say anything.  When I read "So anyone who dare say that FFVII is not the best is a tad dilusional," I wasn't sure if you were being serious or not, that's all.

Also, I brought Pokemon up since it's the top selling RPG (when you said FF or FF7 was).

This thread makes my brain hurt.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Why is this in the Sony discussion? Shouldn't this be in gaming or something better? And don't say it is because it is a sony game because I played this game on my PC :) Never liked the Playstation.

Anyways FF7 is one of my favorite games of all time; it is the game that got me into rpgs.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

Around the Network
twesterm said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Naum said:

I agree with everything except with Spehiroth, he's nothing compared to FF6's Kefka.

3: he killed alot more people
2: he ruined the world
1: he has the greatest laugh ever

3. Amount of ppl killed does not make you any more heiness than the nxt person, but the manner you did it in does. Case in point.

• i killed a hundred ppl while I was in the military
  • i killed a 50 ppl in slow cold deaths as i took my time in dismembering there heads

Sephi killed Clouds love right in front of him while he was helpless to do anything. He even tried to make Cloud do it.

2. Sephiroth also had the world in an uproar. If you remeber, meateor loomed over the planet, slowling creeping forward. Imagine having to stare at what was going to kill you in a few days time. You have no choice but to face your defeat.

1. Sephiroth needs no laughter, he has the beautiful bishonun smirk and eyes so you can see the insanity within them.

Kefka (Personally) was a bit of a joke, he had very little drive. Nothing stood out about him that would make me say"Oh, I would think that too if I went crazy!" He was evil for no REAL reason. Magiteck experiments is a weak backstory.

3.  So I guess poisoning an entire city because he was impatient doesn't count for anything? 

• Kefka did kill Cyan's wife and child and had them die in his arms
  • He ruled over the world with an iron first and destroyed cities on a whim

2.  Sephiroth had the world in an uproar?  Really?  Kefka ruled the freaking world.  How many villains can you think of that actually won?

1.  Right, so Sephiroth is just as much as a woman as Cloud.  Got it.

my point is kefka is a crazed killer without motive. He can be sadistic at times but he has no real purpose. He is cool for being one of the few villains to succeed tho...

Sephiroth is a man with a plan. He has a goal, legitimate one, and wishes to fullfill it. He also retains is sadistic nature as he burnes down an entire town, with crazed look upon his face, he turns and walks into the flames.

And even tho Kefka succeeded he still is defeated.

Sephiroth will never die as he will continue to live on within the planet and those who bear the cells of JENOVA.

"I Will.......NEVER be a memory" quote from FFVII:Advent Children. So pretty much Sephi is eternal. And his theme song ONE WINGED ANGEL + SAFER SEPHIROTH form equals ultimate pwnage!

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

forevercloud3000 said:

Played Lunar,Hated Lunar, Sega CD a joke. And all the previous RPG big hitters such as FF1-6 and DQ or whatever you can throw at me all paled in comparison as far as disernable characters go. And the FMV/ Cutscene heavy games are still very much liked by many. I personally see Cutscenes as a reward for getting so so far in a game. Eye candy is very much so appreciated

One dimensional? WhateEVER dood. The characters were so awsome. You want one demensional? Play Legend of Dragoon. Played the Kotors and they are good and all but they dont hold that sense of attachement that FFVII's characters do. Never played Planescape but I doubt it can rival a FF game, obviously as I have never heard of it before. You cant expect someone to know every single RPG that ever comes out either.

I read..........alot. I love to see characters develop over time and become stronger with their opinions of life.

Lastly, I dont know where ur hostility comes from but I will suffer your hatred. If you dont like my threads then why even show up at the party? Ppl from the last thread I made asked for this one so....

PS: This is the interweb, learn to speak the lingo. PPl are not going to proofread everything they type especially if they are multitasking chores as I am doing right now.

I started to respond to this post, but there's just so much in it that's giving me a headache. I just don't know where to begin.

Planescape can't rival a FF game because you've never heard of it? What? It's only one of the most critically acclaimed RPGs of all time, and considered a classic by a great many people.

Cutscenes are a "reward" for slogging through a game? And you're going to game design school?

Also, if you want to critically analyze the story of a game, then at least provide some, you know, actual analysis, instead of saying, "oh, I've played [this game], but it obviously can't stand up to FFVII." Otherwise, you sound like the equivalent of an anime-fan manchild who thinks that Naruto is the pinnacle of modern cinema.

Finally, your "interweb lingo" seems to consist of a mix of AOL-speak and Gaia Online crap. Maybe it's the standard where you frequent, but for the rest of us, it contributes heavily to making your posts unreadable and juvenille. It's not even a matter of proofreading; it's a matter of typing correctly. "People" is spelled "people," not "PPL." "Really" is spelled "really," not "rly." "Because" is not spelled "becuz." And so on.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Kasz216 said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Kasz216 said:

That and the market campaign which made the Halo campaign look silly in comparison. It was one of the main focuses of a 100 Million dollar campaign in the US.

In the UK they spend 100 Million pounds. Which is like 2 million for the UK alone.

It was mostly the money. There is a reason most critics rate the game below FF6 and FF4 in the "best games of all time list".

Ranking well below other RPGs as well such as Balders gate and Chrono Trigger.... really only being mentioned for the massive sales and making FF mainstream.

Some things are big because they're considered good, others are considered good because they are big.

FF7 is a case of the later.

Outside of number of dimensions it's behind FF6 in every way in my opinion... including graphics. the 2-D sprites were much better art direction wise then the weird blockshapen characters that were everywhere outside of the FMVs. (which just made the rest of the game worse.)

Note I bought a PS1 for FF7 too... as Square is the only company I was ever a fanboy for.

I find that statement to be false. Like I said in OP, it has become cool to not like FFVII because of it's obvious rabid fanbase. And I have played 4 and 6 before playing 7 and never actually liked them as much. While I do agree they are superb games and all they dont have what 7 has. 4 had the most "BLAH" translation of character I have ever seen. Everything they were thinking was said in plain text instead of using a little metaphore or action to tell it. Same with 6, six had some great characters that had real drive, but the way they made some of them act out was just rediculous.

And FFVII's cube bodies were used to it's benefit. Whenever Cloud would shake his block hands in the air you knew he was angry. The look added a certain level of charm to the game as well, just as the sprites did for FF6(others before were just ugly).

Now to play the remakes of III and IV on DS is a different story. THey redid the dialogue to make it suit the characters better. The redisign is reminicent of FFVII(which you seem to not like so much) which in turn gives IV the same glorified charm.

It may be cool to hate FF7 because of it's fanbase... but like i said. I played FF7 at launch, after having played every American Final Fantasy and it was nothing but a bitter dissapointment. To date, it's still probably my least favorite Square-Enix game.

I've bought and given away the game 3 times... at the end of the day.  There just isn't anything there that compares to the really good RPGS.

The characters in FF7 were just horrible in my opinion, and as for the actual gameplay mechanics... they were giant steps back from 4 and 6. They took the worst parts of the 4 and 6 battle systems and combined them for some reason.

Luckily Square Enix made it up to me with Front Mission 3. One of the best SRPGS to date.

You and me both. I was the biggest Square fanboy and Final Fantasy VII was the biggest disappointment for me. I literally had to force myself to finish the game. FFVII was a bigger disappointment than finding out that Santa Claus wasn't real.

c0rd said:
forevercloud3000 said:

Never said FFVII was bigger than any of the other POP faves, I just said it was one.

And I know PPl will dissagree, tis the point. I asked anyone who differed in opinion than me to post why they think so.

You didnt read the last line did you?

No, I did read it - that's why I said responding with an essay is sort of useless, since it'd end up the same - you'd claim others' favs are inferior to FF7, the characters, story, etc.  Basically, neither opinion would change from such arguments... if you already knew that, though, then I didn't need to say anything.  When I read "So anyone who dare say that FFVII is not the best is a tad dilusional," I wasn't sure if you were being serious or not, that's all.

Also, I brought Pokemon up since it's the top selling RPG (when you said FF or FF7 was).

Pokemon is only the top selling becuz it is always counted as TWO games instead of singularly. RED, Green, Blue, etc are counted as one game.

Plus I tend not to count handhelds cuz their sales are vastly superior to console sales only bucuz they are so much cheaper. They instantly become big hitters if they have a good game. Unless you are the PSP of course...

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

forevercloud3000 said:
twesterm said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Naum said:

I agree with everything except with Spehiroth, he's nothing compared to FF6's Kefka.

3: he killed alot more people
2: he ruined the world
1: he has the greatest laugh ever

3. Amount of ppl killed does not make you any more heiness than the nxt person, but the manner you did it in does. Case in point.

• i killed a hundred ppl while I was in the military
  • i killed a 50 ppl in slow cold deaths as i took my time in dismembering there heads

Sephi killed Clouds love right in front of him while he was helpless to do anything. He even tried to make Cloud do it.

2. Sephiroth also had the world in an uproar. If you remeber, meateor loomed over the planet, slowling creeping forward. Imagine having to stare at what was going to kill you in a few days time. You have no choice but to face your defeat.

1. Sephiroth needs no laughter, he has the beautiful bishonun smirk and eyes so you can see the insanity within them.

Kefka (Personally) was a bit of a joke, he had very little drive. Nothing stood out about him that would make me say"Oh, I would think that too if I went crazy!" He was evil for no REAL reason. Magiteck experiments is a weak backstory.

3. So I guess poisoning an entire city because he was impatient doesn't count for anything?

• Kefka did kill Cyan's wife and child and had them die in his arms
  • He ruled over the world with an iron first and destroyed cities on a whim

2. Sephiroth had the world in an uproar? Really? Kefka ruled the freaking world. How many villains can you think of that actually won?

1. Right, so Sephiroth is just as much as a woman as Cloud. Got it.

my point is kefka is a crazed killer without motive. He can be sadistic at times but he has no real purpose. He is cool for being one of the few villains to succeed tho...

Sephiroth is a man with a plan. He has a goal, legitimate one, and wishes to fullfill it. He also retains is sadistic nature as he burnes down an entire town, with crazed look upon his face, he turns and walks into the flames.

And even tho Kefka succeeded he still is defeated.

Sephiroth will never die as he will continue to live on within the planet and those who bear the cells of JENOVA.

"I Will.......NEVER be a memory" quote from FFVII:Advent Children. So pretty much Sephi is eternal. And his theme song ONE WINGED ANGEL + SAFER SEPHIROTH form equals ultimate pwnage!

No... he had a very good plan, motive and a very good purpose. You apparently just didn't get the story.

To not go into any explinations... and just use exact quotes

"I will destroy everything! I will create a monument to non-existence!"

"Life...Dreams...Hope...Where'd they come from? And where are they headed...? These things...I'm going to destroy!!"

He was actually one of the more philosophical FF villains.  The most that i can remember... but I haven't played them all.