By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Here it is Folks! Why FFVII is one of the BEST GAMES EVAA!!!

forevercloud3000 said:
Darc Requiem said:
Wow, FFVII? Its not one of the best game in the series, let alone the genre or ever. The story had more holes in it that a warehouse full of swiss cheese. Sephiroth is one the most overrated and paper thin main antagonist in RPG history. The graphics and sound were worse than FFVI on SNES. The gameplay dumbed down to a level just above Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. I thought this was joke thread at first but sadly I was mistaken.

I was thinking ur post was the joke im afraid. If you are going to spout a blasphemous(and might i add, blatent flamebait) opinion here then you could at least find the courage to put a full in depth opionion as to why it is so bad.

Otherwise I am forced to think you are just trying to get a rise out of me, so begone you.....

No I've just get tired of writing a veritable novel each time some fanboy touts how great Final Fantasy VII is. As Garcian stated, I get tired typing out a point by point analysis to a post with little value to begin with. Blatent flamebait? Your original post practically insulted anyone with a differing opinion. You may want to look in the mirror. All that stated, I guess I can do an abbrievated run down of why Final Fantasy VII continues to be the most overrated game of all time.

Graphics

Final Fantasy VII's graphics were poor even at the time of release. It followed the CG background/polygonal character style presentation that RE made famous but it just did it poorly. The characters were low poly and lacked detail. The whole point of the static backgrounds was to render more detailed characters. The best part of the in-game graphics was the battle scene graphics and they lacked detail while running at a blistering 15fps. Even SCEA knew the graphics were poor because the games advertisments showed endless amounts of FMV.

Audio

Despite the move to CD, Final Fantasy VII's audio quality was inferior to that of Final Fantasy VI. I don't know how they managed to have a lower sampling rate on the MIDI toons of FFVII but they did. Even the hype filled reviews from 1997 remake on this. You think they could find the space for some redbook audio on a multiple CD game. There is no excuse for a 3Mb cartridge title to have better music than a 3 CD game.

Gameplay

The gameplay of Final Fantasy VII not only awful, it was insulting. The party size was reduced from four to three and each characters individual skills were identical outside of their limit breaks. The materia system allowed the strongest melee characters, Cloud for example, to wield the best magic spells and made putting any character with caster friendly stats in the party pointless. The Esper system of FFVI was similar but each characters had unique abilities. You had to build you party around each characters strengths and that allowed for some actual strategy to take place during battles. Not to mention the equipment system was reduce to just a weapon, a bangle, and an accessory.

Story

Final Fantasy VII's story was a joke. Tifa knew that Cloud was lying from the beginning of the game. Yet she didn't tell Barrett or Avalanche about it. Why she risk the lives of all of her comrades by putting them in the hands of Cloud. She knew he was unstable, but she didn't tell anyone. That makes no sense what so ever. Sephiroth's reasons for going "psycho" were weak at best. He read about how he was implanted with Jenova cells in the womb....so what. His mother, Lucretia, was still alive. His attachment to Jenova made no sense at all. Not to mention the various points in which he "controls" Cloud. Whether it be him standing there like a doofus when Aerith gets run through, assaulting Aerith, giving Sephiroth the black materia. Cloud wasn't actually a clone of Sephirothh so him being controlled by him made little sense. I am not going even get into how he manages to survive Mako poisoning twice or he magically recovers right after Zack is gunned down by the Shinra.

Miscellaneous

SCEA actually spoils the biggest surprise in the game, Aerith's death, in the FMV filled ad campaign that launched the game.

Around the Network
swyggi said:
Kasz216 said:
forevercloud3000 said:
BringBackChrono said:
@forevercloud3000
it boils down to the age old policy of "to each his own", doesnt it?
Its just your preference ,when you say characters should have a voice. The LoZ series has stuck with the silent hero, and look how popular he still is.
My point was that CT was simply more fun to go through than FFVII, which too is a highly enjoyable game.You cant just compare two games in some pre-determined fields, cause there always is The "X" Factor involved.

P.S i really doubt the FF series overall outsells the Pokemon series so maybe take it off the FACTS list?

I kno, I just thought it would bring some good ideas on why ppl thing"PUTGAME HERE" is the best, over FFVII. Or why FFVII is SOOO terrible to some ppl (Who by the way have yet to give any reasons why, they just put this sucks blah blah...)

As far as the FACT that FF is the best selling series. I completely forgot about Pokemon. It does sell more but in a very unfair way. RUBY EMERALD and SAPHIRE are all lumped into one sales chart and treated as one game. A single person grabs all three so they can "CATCH THEM ALL" but in essense they complete one game. Its like playing FFVII and they sell the discs seperately. Thats why I did not have Pokemon in mind when I said that.

Last time I checked tho FF was in 4th place for best selling series of all time. Just behind Mario,Pokemon, and the Sims.

You clearly don't have an understanding of how Pokemon works.

Ruby and Sapphire each have half the puzzle. Emerald holds nothing new.

Just like Red and Blue each hold half the puzzle.

While Yellow is in the middle and doesn't do you any extra good.

Pokemon Yellow alone outsold FF7. So their goes your arguement.

1.Plenty of people gave you good reasons. You just ignored them.

2.The battle system is worse then previous iterations, the story is worse then previous iterations and the music is worse? What more could you ask for?

1. Claims without a thorough explanation aren't reasons.

2. You just did it again.

There were plenty of explinations. But fine.

1. The battle system.

They took the worst part of both systems of FF4 and FF7.

They took the super specialized wepaons of FF4... and ratc heted it up to a really high degree.

They then added the problem of Espers but made it even more broken then the Espers were in the form of Materia.

End result, the characters are too customizeable and didn't really have enough to make different characters worth using.

The battles in general were easier, then the previous ones and took no challenge or strategy to beat... I don't believe i level grinded or died ever in the game.

2. Story

1. The story was just bad. Aerith was killed off WELL before she had any emotional impact. Even FF5 did a better job of making it's dieing character more sympathetic.

Barrett is a walking stereotype who doesn't change, You even say he's a walking stereotype.

Tifa is a pair of walking boobs who doesn't change.

Red is a talking cat who doesn't change.

Cait Sith changes, but he's annoying, his sub plot makes zero sense and he feels like he was just added on because they felt the character roster was too shallow.

Yuffie was a Ninja... that didn't change.

VS

FF13 which had like... 14 playavle characters... 11 of which had significant character devleopment. (Mog, Umaro and Gogo being the exceptions.)

FF4's characters all developed too... heck FF5's characters had more plot development.

Sepihroth - His charcter doesn't even make sense. He's in control of Jenova because she has some of his cells in his body.

Shouldn't it be the exact opposite way? Like how Sepiroth can kind of control Cloud for the same reason?

At the end of the day... his plans are the same as Kefkas... but instead of it being insane philosphy of Nihilism to the extreme... it's because some people ran away from giant ass monsters they had no hope of defeating? Cause he thought he was a Cetra... but he wasn't even... he was just some kid who got expermimented on before he was born.

Not only was Sephiroths reason stupid... it was false. He's just a less fun, less successful Kefka.

3. Music

It's hard to objectivly qualify this one... but I will say that FF6 had way more unique music tracks as i recall.

Pristine20 said:
FFVIII>Xenogears>Vagrant Story>FFVII>FFIX

Excellent list, vast superior but I would've thrown FFVI and FFIX in front of 7.FFVII was just mainstream (and there's nothing wrong with that, I'm down with mainstream) but it isn't worth to be held as the best FF, it's just the most popular one.

I will also add that the OP is a posser that probably didn't know anything about RPGs till FF7 came out. You can tell by his answers to anything arguing his point.

What are you looking at, nerd?
Soriku said:
Also, might I add Aeris' death was a CHEAP shot. He attacked her from the back when she was defenseless. Which villain does that?

It is hinted that Aeris knew that Sephiroth would kill her before he did and that Aeris was willing to accept that if it meant summoning Holy

My personal dissection of FF VII:

Pros:

-Great characters with strong, noticeable personalities. Many motives behind their intentions, good character development.

-The materia system is pure badassery, heavily customizeable, one of the best battle systems in the series, if not THE best.

-Lots of sideqests, minigames, there is a feeling of a wide world in the game.

-Sometimes challenging, unlike most of the FF's that I can easily brave with solely brute force.

-No character specialization (thank god)

-Far better storyline than any after-nintendo FF, save for FFX.

-Great atmosphere for most of the game - Midgar, Costa Del Sol, aw man, love 'em.

-The Turks, love 'em.

Cons:

-Terrible character design... all those squares, little characters, they made it hard to take the charcters seriously and care for them. What stopped you from making FF VIII looking characters? they would look far, far far, better.

-Music was meh compared to the other FF's save for some compositions

-Jenova-Synthesis, Bizzaro Sephiroth, Safer*Sephiroth... you call that final bosses? a freakin 1 minute defeat with normal attacks, not to mention Omnislash, Knights of the Round, Ungarmax... I expected more, Sephy.

-You call Sephiroth a villain?

-Cait Sith.

-Some parts of the game felt forced, unnecesary, and meh. Gongaga, for example.

-World map not very good looking backed by annoying music. The FF VI world map music should've been used.

As you can see, the pros are far more than cons, and those cons don't make the game much worse, it's a good FF, but far from the best.

Dissection : Sephiroth vs Kefka

Sephiroth:

Yep, evil, misanthropic, destructive, but... he wasn't that way forever. In my eyes he is part sadistic and evil, and part righteous avenger, sephy is very human and humanly motivated.. not evil by existence.

Kefka:

Anyone more evil in the whole series than him? no, never. Evil in blood, poisoned a whole kingdom just for laughs, rules by sheer brutality, destroys everything that he doesn't like, even for the smallest things that are wrong in his opinion.. causes world destruction... all that for no motive.. he just wants to kill because that's how he is! sephy at least has motives and is even part righteous.. Kefka is unmotivated, reasonless, misanthropic, pure evil.

I would go as far as not viewing sephy as the FF VII villain - the true villain and motivator behind everything in FF VII is Jenova, her cells, and Shinra, who rule the world without giving a damn about it or its populace, just look at its employees, Hojo for example.

This is my opinion, discuss.

Around the Network

Ops wrong link.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Darc Requiem said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Darc Requiem said:
Wow, FFVII? Its not one of the best game in the series, let alone the genre or ever. The story had more holes in it that a warehouse full of swiss cheese. Sephiroth is one the most overrated and paper thin main antagonist in RPG history. The graphics and sound were worse than FFVI on SNES. The gameplay dumbed down to a level just above Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. I thought this was joke thread at first but sadly I was mistaken.

I was thinking ur post was the joke im afraid. If you are going to spout a blasphemous(and might i add, blatent flamebait) opinion here then you could at least find the courage to put a full in depth opionion as to why it is so bad.

Otherwise I am forced to think you are just trying to get a rise out of me, so begone you.....

No I've just get tired of a veritable novel each time some fanboy touts how great Final Fantasy VII is. As Garcian stated, I get tired typing out point by point analysis to a post with little value to begin with. Blatent flamebait? You original post practically insulted anyone with a differing opinion. You may want to look in the mirror. All that stated, I guess I can do an abbrievated run down of why Final Fantasy VII continues to be the most overrated game of all time.

Graphics

Final Fantasy VII's graphics were poor even at the time of release. It followed the CG background polygonal character style presentation that RE made famous but it just did it poorly. The characters were low poly and lacked detail. The whole point of the static backgrounds was to render more detailed characters. The best part of the in-game graphics was the battle scene graphics and they lacked detail while running at a blistering 15fps. Even SCEA knew the graphics were poor because the games advertisments showed endless amounts of FMV.

While not the best graphics by any standard it was still pretty good for its time. The blocky nature of the characters made a certain plush doll like charm. SS used that to there advantage by making them do funny looking things like squats and clouds infamous bulb hand shake. You seem to rip on the art direction of FFVII but not on the countless FFs before it with subpar sprites and shallow art direction.

Audio

Despite the move to CD, Final Fantasy VII's audio quality was inferior to that of Final Fantasy VI. I don't know how they managed to have a lower sampling rate on the MIDI toons of FFVII but they did. Even the hype filled reviews from 1997 remake on this. You think they could find the space for some redbook audio on a multiple CD game. There is no excuse for a 3Mb cartridge title to have better music than a 3 CD game.

I am no audio wiz but I tend to find little wrong with FFVII's sound. I loved the music to DEATH and adored the battle themes too. One Winged Angel and Aeris's Theme are the most popular out of any of the FF music selections. Is their a particular sound effect or song that had a problem with you?

Gameplay

The gameplay of Final Fantasy VII not only awful, it was insulting. The party size was reduced from four to three and each characters individual skills were identical outside of their limit breaks. The materia system allowed the strongest melee characters, Cloud for example, to wield the best magic spells and made putting any character with caster friendly stats in the party pointless. The Esper system of FFVI was similar but each characters had unique abilities. You had to build you party around each characters strengths and that allowed for some actual strategy to take place during battles. Not to mention the equipment system was reduce to just a weapon, a bangle, and an accessory.

Old vets keep trying to rip on FFVII for being fully customizable. So what if they did not have job specific abilities. Then you simply must choose your party out of favor and not necessity. Is that really so bad? FFVIII did it, FFX did it, and FFXII did it. Square was trying to give americans what they wanted, we tend to emphasize customization(failed in FFVIII tho).

Story

Final Fantasy VII's story was a joke. Tifa knew that Cloud was lying from the beginning of the game. Yet she didn't tell Barrett or Avalanche about it. Why she risk the lives of all of her comrades by putting them in the hands of Cloud. She knew he was unstable, but she didn't tell anyone. That makes no sense what so ever. Sephiroth's reasons for going "psycho" were weak at best. He read about how he was implanted with Jenova cells in the womb....so what. His mother, Lucretia, was still alive. His attachment to Jenova made no sense at all. Not to mention the various points in which he "controls" Cloud. Whether it be him standing there like a doofus when Aerith gets run through, assaulting Aerith, giving Sephiroth the black materia. Cloud wasn't actually a clone of Sephirothh so him being controlled by him made little sense. I am not going even get into how he manages to survive Mako poisoning twice or he magically recovers right after Zack is gunned down by the Shinra.

Tifa had the shit knocked out of her if u remember correctly and had partial amnesia. She was fuzzy on the happenings of that time frame and just went along with whatever cloud said, even tho she felt it was a bit off. And if you watched Advent Children or Played FFVII Crisis Core they give a little more insight to the meaning of "CLONE". When the term clone is used in FFVII it does not mean a replication of mind and body per say, more of a replication of power. Cloud inherited the same kind of power that sephiroth wielded. Sephiroth could control Cloud becuz Cloud possessed JENOVA cells. Anyone or thing that have them can be controlled by Sephiroth, hence y he took the Jenova Cells to the center of the earth(Gaia?). He wanted to wield the entire planet. After reading ur post I dont think you fully understand the story as well as you might think you do...

Miscellaneous

SCEA actually spoils the biggest surprise in the game, Aerith's death, in the FMV filled ad campaign that launched the game.

Thank you for coming back with a REAL opinion instead of a one liner which looked to be aimed at me, the OPster. I think you simply might have missed a few key plot points in this one, hense the reason you feel the story, gameplay, visuals is broken. If you were to give the game a second chance I think you might change ur mind...

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

StanGable said:
Pristine20 said:
FFVIII>Xenogears>Vagrant Story>FFVII>FFIX

Excellent list, vast superior but I would've thrown FFVI and FFIX in front of 7.FFVII was just mainstream (and there's nothing wrong with that, I'm down with mainstream) but it isn't worth to be held as the best FF, it's just the most popular one.

I will also add that the OP is a posser that probably didn't know anything about RPGs till FF7 came out. You can tell by his answers to anything arguing his point.

FF IX>FF VII? don't make me laugh. FF IX loses to VII in everything 'cept graphics and villain.. and battle theme, the FF IX battle theme is the best.

The Turks are one of the best things about the game.

Soriku said:
Btw, I hated the fact that most of the earlier bosses in FF VII were...robots. Robots...or random dudes with shotguns that I never cared about (save for Reno. Reno is cool.).

The Turks were the best thing to come out of Final Fantasy VII IMO.