By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Here it is Folks! Why FFVII is one of the BEST GAMES EVAA!!!

Sephiroth: the GREATEST VILLIAN EVER! He has so much depth. And how bad ass is a serial killer who is obsessed with his mother? right? He is the epitome of what a villain should be, a driving force with actual backstory. The worlds greatest champion becomes it's largest threat. He feels utterly betrayed by society and wants to wipe away all existance so he and his mother can sale the cosmos together with that planet as their vessel.

This paragraph melted away my last hopes for humanity.

Greatest villain ever? That whiny emo-wannabe transgender dipshit with a mommy complex who fails to accomplish really anything throughout the game? Ugh.

Why do I even click into these threads?

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
KouSze said:

The one thing you forgot was the lack of custimizing your party in FFVII.

All characters are pretty much the same.  They all can carry materia so it does not matter who is in your group.

The only thing that was different was the limit breaks. 

I agree with the other post that Kefka was the best FF villian. 

Don't get me wrong, FFVII was a GREAT game, just some things I did not like compared to FFVI.

Here's where the differencial comes in with people of different tastes in jrpgs.  The difference between FFVII and the previous FF's is the focus more on the customization.  You actually CAN customize your party in FF7 more than the others.  The only complaint is one that derives from using an entire party rather than using just one party of your own selection.  Some think that makes the characters in FF7 other than the characters that you're currently using useless, except that usefulness is transferred to the actual battle system rather than the characters you're using.  I personally don't like being forced to use my entire party to beat a game like you must in FFVI.  You're not forced like that in FF7.  Swapping out characters constantly for different uses =/= more usefulness than just simply swapping out materia for different battle plans.  It's quicker, easier and far more efficient than going back and forth to switch characters changing their armor/weapons etc.   

Besides, limit breaks aren't the only differencial.  Weapons are as well; some enemies that are in the back row of a bunch of enemies take half the damage from non-ranged weapons in FF7.  The same thing for flying enemies.

Another popular opinion against FF7 (on forums at least) is that the characters are too overpowered which just isn't true.  From the beginning of the game to the end you have to choose wisely on how to place your materia.  Even the strongest weapons of the game aren't broken because they don't give any materia growth, so you'd still have to make use of weaker weapons that give more materia growth to gain more abilities from materia, the same can be said with armor as well. 

The most powerful limit breaks aren't even broken themselves.  Why? Because they're sidequests, you're not forced to use them nor or they right in front of you, it's your own choice if you choose to pursue them.  If you feel the battle system is too easy, just increase the battle speed to max and the ATB on active mode.  It's that simple.

What about FFVI?  How are they not overpowered?  You can use abilities like Sabin's blitz skills and Edgars Tool abilities at will.  Each character with the exception of a few can learn all of the black and white magics as well.  Let's say someone argues "But once you learn the magic, you keep it, you don't have to change it out".  True, but how many of those abilities are you going to actually use regularly?  You're not going to use fire after you have Firaga or Flare after you have Ultima.  You might just for the heck of it, but not for it's usefulness.  No need to worry about running out of MP either because of osmose. 

Alright I'm done ranting ^_^   

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

Showertea said:
FF7 is the best game ever because it's an easy way to find out if people aren't worth being friends with.

ROFLMFAO! OMG that was funny. I don't know if u are serious or not but that is how I choose my real life friends !

It is ok if it is not their most fav game in the whole world like mine but if they ever say something blasphemous to me like "FFVIII was better than FFVII!" May god have mercy on their soul. I think a friend said something like that to me and I threw up! What a REVOLTING comment to make lolz.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

forevercloud3000 said:
BringBackChrono said:
@forevercloud3000
it boils down to the age old policy of "to each his own", doesnt it?
Its just your preference ,when you say characters should have a voice. The LoZ series has stuck with the silent hero, and look how popular he still is.
My point was that CT was simply more fun to go through than FFVII, which too is a highly enjoyable game.You cant just compare two games in some pre-determined fields, cause there always is The "X" Factor involved.

P.S i really doubt the FF series overall outsells the Pokemon series so maybe take it off the FACTS list?

I kno, I just thought it would bring some good ideas on why ppl thing"PUTGAME HERE" is the best, over FFVII. Or why FFVII is SOOO terrible to some ppl (Who by the way have yet to give any reasons why, they just put this sucks blah blah...)

As far as the FACT that FF is the best selling series. I completely forgot about Pokemon. It does sell more but in a very unfair way. RUBY EMERALD and SAPHIRE are all lumped into one sales chart and treated as one game. A single person grabs all three so they can "CATCH THEM ALL" but in essense they complete one game. Its like playing FFVII and they sell the discs seperately. Thats why I did not have Pokemon in mind when I said that.

Last time I checked tho FF was in 4th place for best selling series of all time. Just behind Mario,Pokemon, and the Sims.

You clearly don't have an understanding of how Pokemon works.

Ruby and Sapphire each have half the puzzle. Emerald holds nothing new.

Just like Red and Blue each hold half the puzzle.

While Yellow is in the middle and doesn't do you any extra good.

Pokemon Yellow alone outsold FF7. So their goes your arguement.

Plenty of people gave you good reasons. You just ignored them.

The battle system is worse then previous iterations, the story is worse then previous iterations and the music is worse? What more could you ask for?

EDIT: I should have probably quoted, but the start of my post was directed at Soriku's dislike of FF7 being to western-y.

Um, I'm pretty sure Final Fantasy has always been westerny and only made the transition to more asian culture based since FF7.

I mean, pre-7 is classic european architecture and clothing aside from the distinctly asian job classes and characters.

7 Introduced very modern Japan pop-culture into the series, with the design of midgar and the wild spiky hair of certain characters. Even character models were very anime-esque, again with the spikey hair, large round eyes, cait-sith.

Personally, I think FF7 is one of the most important games ever, but it's not one of the best. As a person that's played almost all FF's, it doesn't do enough to set itself apart from the other FF's except for the jump to 3D (which is not setting itself apart from 8 onwards anyway).

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
forevercloud3000 said:
BringBackChrono said:
@forevercloud3000
it boils down to the age old policy of "to each his own", doesnt it?
Its just your preference ,when you say characters should have a voice. The LoZ series has stuck with the silent hero, and look how popular he still is.
My point was that CT was simply more fun to go through than FFVII, which too is a highly enjoyable game.You cant just compare two games in some pre-determined fields, cause there always is The "X" Factor involved.

P.S i really doubt the FF series overall outsells the Pokemon series so maybe take it off the FACTS list?

I kno, I just thought it would bring some good ideas on why ppl thing"PUTGAME HERE" is the best, over FFVII. Or why FFVII is SOOO terrible to some ppl (Who by the way have yet to give any reasons why, they just put this sucks blah blah...)

As far as the FACT that FF is the best selling series. I completely forgot about Pokemon. It does sell more but in a very unfair way. RUBY EMERALD and SAPHIRE are all lumped into one sales chart and treated as one game. A single person grabs all three so they can "CATCH THEM ALL" but in essense they complete one game. Its like playing FFVII and they sell the discs seperately. Thats why I did not have Pokemon in mind when I said that.

Last time I checked tho FF was in 4th place for best selling series of all time. Just behind Mario,Pokemon, and the Sims.

You clearly don't have an understanding of how Pokemon works.

Ruby and Sapphire each have half the puzzle. Emerald holds nothing new.

Just like Red and Blue each hold half the puzzle.

While Yellow is in the middle and doesn't do you any extra good.

Pokemon Yellow alone outsold FF7. So their goes your arguement.

1.Plenty of people gave you good reasons. You just ignored them.

2.The battle system is worse then previous iterations, the story is worse then previous iterations and the music is worse? What more could you ask for?

1. Claims without a thorough explanation aren't reasons.

2. You just did it again. 

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

rocketpig said:

Sephiroth: the GREATEST VILLIAN EVER! He has so much depth. And how bad ass is a serial killer who is obsessed with his mother? right? He is the epitome of what a villain should be, a driving force with actual backstory. The worlds greatest champion becomes it's largest threat. He feels utterly betrayed by society and wants to wipe away all existance so he and his mother can sale the cosmos together with that planet as their vessel.

Greatest villain ever? That whiny emo-wannabe transgender dipshit with a mommy complex who fails to accomplish really anything throughout the game? Ugh.

Because you can't buy this sort of entertainment.  If you saw something like this on TV, you would think it was scripted and wouldn't be as funny.

I give that post a 9.8.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

rocketpig said:

I'm honestly wondering the same. Maybe because we still hold out hope that these boards won't become just another mini-GameFAQs in terms of quality?

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

CAL4M1TY said:

EDIT: I should have probably quoted, but the start of my post was directed at Soriku's dislike of FF7 being to western-y.

Um, I'm pretty sure Final Fantasy has always been westerny and only made the transition to more asian culture based since FF7.

I mean, pre-7 is classic european architecture and clothing aside from the distinctly asian job classes and characters.

7 Introduced very modern Japan pop-culture into the series, with the design of midgar and the wild spiky hair of certain characters. Even character models were very anime-esque, again with the spikey hair, large round eyes, cait-sith.

Personally, I think FF7 is one of the most important games ever, but it's not one of the best. As a person that's played almost all FF's, it doesn't do enough to set itself apart from the other FF's except for the jump to 3D (which is not setting itself apart from 8 onwards anyway).

It's not any more or less Eastern or Western than any other JRPG of it's time or earlier, from a game design or visual design standpoint.  FFVI had a samurai and a ninja, along with mecha, a clown, European architecture, steampunk.  Phantasy Star I believe had guns and swords, and space opera, and anime looking characters. So much for homogenous design.

Do people actually know they're history when they talk about things like this?  Are they even aware of the outside influences that factor into a game's creation, or the influences to those influences? 

Good game. But Ocarina of Time and Mario 3 are better.

FFVII is maybe the best RPG.

MY ZELDA COLLECTION