By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Here it is Folks! Why FFVII is one of the BEST GAMES EVAA!!!

c0rd said:

You cannot educate people on why one particular story is better than the rest.  It's all subjective, no matter what I still prefer others like FF6 or FF10,  and writing an essay about it won't be meaningful since we still wouldn't agree.  There are also things that will heavily skew opinions, like which FF was your first (for a vast majority it was VII).  I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the game, but you can't expect it to be everyone's favorite.

Also, don't try using popularity to back up your claim, as it isn't relevant to the point.  In terms of sales, or "Pop Cultural Phenomenon," Pokemon completely blows FF7 away.  It has spawned movies, spin-offs, cartoons, card games, etc...

Never said FFVII was bigger than any of the other POP faves, I just said it was one.

And I know PPl will dissagree, tis the point. I asked anyone who differed in opinion than me to post why they think so.

You didnt read the last line did you?

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network

I'm not going to waste time writing an essay in response to that original post, so I'll just respond point by point:

1) FFVII didn't revolutionize the way that video game stories were told. It simply copied and popularized the formula from the Lunar games (released years earlier on the Sega CD). In addition, the invention of the cutscene-heavy game is the worst thing to happen to video game stories since the FMV game.

2) One-dimensional characters do not a good story make. Go play Planescape: Torment or KotOR 2 if you want to see good characterization in a game. Or, hell, read a good book.

3) If you're going to keep making these long, verbose threads, then please please PLEASE learn how to write at some level above that of a 13-year-old.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

celine said:
FF7 is so highly regarded because it was the first mainstream cinematic JRPG.
It was released at the right time ( when cnematic trend was arising ).
Its biggest merit ihas been the presentation.

That and the market campaign which made the Halo campaign look silly in comparison. It was one of the main focuses of a 100 Million dollar campaign in the US.

In the UK they spend 100 Million pounds. Which is like 2 million for the UK alone.

It was mostly the money. There is a reason most critics rate the game below FF6 and FF4 in the "best games of all time list".

Ranking well below other RPGs as well such as Balders gate and Chrono Trigger.... really only being mentioned for the massive sales and making FF mainstream.

Some things are big because they're considered good, others are considered good because they are big.

FF7 is a case of the later.

Outside of number of dimensions it's behind FF6 in every way in my opinion... including graphics.  the 2-D sprites were much better art direction wise then the weird blockshapen characters that were everywhere outside of the FMVs. (which just made the rest of the game worse.)

Note I bought a PS1 for FF7 too... as Square is the only company I was ever a fanboy for.

Garcian Smith said:
I'm not going to waste time writing an essay in response to that original post, so I'll just respond point by point:

1) FFVII didn't revolutionize the way that video game stories were told. It simply copied and popularized the formula from the Lunar games (released years earlier on the Sega CD). In addition, the invention of the cutscene-heavy game is the worst thing to happen to video game stories since the FMV game.

2) One-dimensional characters do not a good story make. Go play Planescape: Torment or KotOR 2 if you want to see good characterization in a game. Or, hell, read a good book.

3) If you're going to keep making these long, verbose threads, then please please PLEASE learn how to write at some level above that of a 13-year-old.

Played Lunar,Hated Lunar, Sega CD a joke. And all the previous RPG big hitters such as FF1-6 and DQ or whatever you can throw at me all paled in comparison as far as disernable characters go. And the FMV/ Cutscene heavy games are still very much liked by many. I personally see Cutscenes as a reward for getting so so far in a game. Eye candy is very much so appreciated

One dimensional? WhateEVER dood. The characters were so awsome. You want one demensional? Play Legend of Dragoon. Played the Kotors and they are good and all but they dont hold that sense of attachement that FFVII's characters do. Never played Planescape but I doubt it can rival a FF game, obviously as I have never heard of it before. You cant expect someone to know every single RPG that ever comes out either.

I read..........alot. I love to see characters develop over time and become stronger with their opinions of life.

Lastly, I dont know where ur hostility comes from but I will suffer your hatred. If you dont like my threads then why even show up at the party? Ppl from the last thread I made asked for this one so....

PS: This is the interweb, learn to speak the lingo. PPl are not going to proofread everything they type especially if they are multitasking chores as I am doing right now.

Greatness Awaits

FFVIII>Xenogears>Vagrant Story>FFVII>FFIX

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

My friend, i dare say that Chrono Trigger was a better game, for the imaginative story-line, one of the best combat systems, and a degree of replay value which FFVII just doesnt have.

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

The one thing you forgot was the lack of custimizing your party in FFVII.

All characters are pretty much the same.  They all can carry materia so it does not matter who is in your group.

The only thing that was different was the limit breaks. 

I agree with the other post that Kefka was the best FF villian. 

Don't get me wrong, FFVII was a GREAT game, just some things I did not like compared to FFVI.

Kasz216 said:

That and the market campaign which made the Halo campaign look silly in comparison. It was one of the main focuses of a 100 Million dollar campaign in the US.

In the UK they spend 100 Million pounds. Which is like 2 million for the UK alone.

It was mostly the money. There is a reason most critics rate the game below FF6 and FF4 in the "best games of all time list".

Ranking well below other RPGs as well such as Balders gate and Chrono Trigger.... really only being mentioned for the massive sales and making FF mainstream.

Some things are big because they're considered good, others are considered good because they are big.

FF7 is a case of the later.

Outside of number of dimensions it's behind FF6 in every way in my opinion... including graphics.  the 2-D sprites were much better art direction wise then the weird blockshapen characters that were everywhere outside of the FMVs. (which just made the rest of the game worse.)

Note I bought a PS1 for FF7 too... as Square is the only company I was ever a fanboy for.

I find that statement to be false. Like I said in OP, it has become cool to not like FFVII because of it's obvious rabid fanbase. And I have played 4 and 6 before playing 7 and never actually liked them as much. While I do agree they are superb games and all they dont have what 7 has. 4 had the most "BLAH" translation of character I have ever seen. Everything they were thinking was said in plain text instead of using a little metaphore or action to tell it. Same with 6, six had some great characters that had real drive, but the way they made some of them act out was just rediculous. 

And FFVII's cube bodies were used to it's benefit. Whenever Cloud would shake his block hands in the air you knew he was angry. The look added a certain level of charm to the game as well, just as the sprites did for FF6(others before were just ugly).

Now to play the remakes of III and IV on DS is a different story. THey redid the dialogue to make it suit the characters better. The redisign is reminicent of FFVII(which you seem to not like so much) which in turn gives IV the same glorified charm.

Greatness Awaits

forevercloud3000 said:
Naum said:

I agree with everything except with Spehiroth, he's nothing compared to FF6's Kefka.

3: he killed alot more people
2: he ruined the world
1: he has the greatest laugh ever

3. Amount of ppl killed does not make you any more heiness than the nxt person, but the manner you did it in does. Case in point.

• i killed a hundred ppl while I was in the military
  • i killed a 50 ppl in slow cold deaths as i took my time in dismembering there heads

Sephi killed Clouds love right in front of him while he was helpless to do anything. He even tried to make Cloud do it.

2. Sephiroth also had the world in an uproar. If you remeber, meateor loomed over the planet, slowling creeping forward. Imagine having to stare at what was going to kill you in a few days time. You have no choice but to face your defeat.

1. Sephiroth needs no laughter, he has the beautiful bishonun smirk and eyes so you can see the insanity within them.

Kefka (Personally) was a bit of a joke, he had very little drive. Nothing stood out about him that would make me say"Oh, I would think that too if I went crazy!" He was evil for no REAL reason. Magiteck experiments is a weak backstory.

3.  So I guess poisoning an entire city because he was impatient doesn't count for anything? 

• Kefka did kill Cyan's wife and child and had them die in his arms
  • He ruled over the world with an iron first and destroyed cities on a whim

2.  Sephiroth had the world in an uproar?  Really?  Kefka ruled the freaking world.  How many villains can you think of that actually won?

1.  Right, so Sephiroth is just as much as a woman as Cloud.  Got it.

BringBackChrono said:
My friend, i dare say that Chrono Trigger was a better game, for the imaginative story-line, one of the best combat systems, and a degree of replay value which FFVII just doesnt have.

While I must admit Chrono had a Fighting System that was LIGHT YEARS before its time, it still falls a little short of greatness. Yet again we must suffer through a game with identical characters to the DBZ series, which in turn means they are not that detailed. At the time it was ok but as of now I cant look at it in awe anymore. Chrono Trigger also had that famous silent hero which in turn means he could never be anything more than a stand in character.

Characters that have a discernable voice(txt?) and personality are what stand out in ppl's minds. Chrono was not one of those characters, as cool as he was....

Greatness Awaits