By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo lying about third party dominance?

@dib8rman: Sony's going to show the "Playstation family" 3rd party sales and imply them as PS3 sales. As usual.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

I just realized Nintendo intends to have sold 50 million Wii's by April 09.

thats 20 million more Wiis in 81/2 months... so thats more than 2 million a month average or 1.4 million and a major christmas and golden week.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

dib8rman said:
I just realized Nintendo intends to have sold 50 million Wii's by April 09.

thats 20 million more Wiis in 81/2 months... so thats more than 2 million a month average or 1.4 million and a major christmas and golden week.

Nintendo always makes estimates so conservative that they beat them consistently.  Imagine them as the opposite of Microsoft -- remember when MS said they'd sell 3 million 360s in 90 days and then barely managed half of that?  And then remember when they said they'd sell 10 million by the time the PS3 launched and ended up with less than 7 million?

Those were embarrassing estimates because Microsoft didn't even come close.

When Nintendo says they'll have 50 million shipped by April, that means there is little question that they'll have that many.  Possibly many more.

Nintendo wasn't lying - the Wii pie is much bigger than the PS3/360 pie.

Third parties only get 4 slices of the Wii pizza but its 30 inches vs. 7 slices of the PS3 & 360 pizzas at 12 inches each.

Don't believe me? Well here is what NPD said on the matter -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/npd-wii-thirdparty-games-really-do-sell/?biz=1

We recently posted a story discussing the state of third-party software sales on Wii, which included a chart from Nintendo that inconveniently also lumped in first-party sales. Well, now we've obtained the proper third-party only sales chart (see below), which does bear out what Nintendo of America has been telling us all along: games from third parties are selling on the Wii.

In fact, when GameDaily BIZ contacted The NPD Group for more data, we discovered that for the first 20 months on the market for each console the Wii comparatively sold several million more units of third-party software in the U.S. than either the Xbox 360 or PS3. More specifically, the Wii sold 33 million units of third-party software in its first 20 months, while the Xbox 360 sold 29 million units and the PS3 sold 20 million units.

"I actually think that given the number of comments made from industry executives at E3 (or thereabouts) about how they didn't put enough resources against development of Wii games that the industry has realized that the old adage of 'only first-party games sell on Nintendo systems' is absolutely incorrect. I think you're right that the data will cause a few eyebrows to lift," NPD industry analyst Anita Frazier commented.

So where does the perception that third-party games don't sell on Wii come from? Most likely it stems from the respective sales ratios for the three consoles. While third-party software sales comprise well over 80 percent of total game sales on both the Xbox 360 and PS3, on the Wii that number dips all the way down to 56 percent. On the whole, however, because total Wii software sales are so high, even 50-something percent of a huge chunk yields a larger total for third-party sales. But there's still no doubt that Nintendo's incredible first-party success leaves a smaller part of the Wii software market for third parties to fight over. The key, however, as Nintendo has said, is to expand that market so all can benefit. So far, so good.

UPDATE: Having read our story, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter decided to give us his take in an email: "Year-to-date (which I think is more relevant than lifetime), third parties have sold 13.4 million units of software for the Wii and 16.5 million units for the 360. That's NPD, and U.S. only. My guess is that the numbers are much closer to the same if we include Europe, and much higher for Wii if we go worldwide."

No matter how you slice it though, considering that the Xbox 360 had a year's head start on the other platforms, the Wii's third-party sales are quite good.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

scottie said:
There's only 1 way to make a fair comparison.

Wait about 10 years, until there are no 7th gen software sales

Anything put out before then is spin, accept it. Ninty published data for the first 19 months cos it showed them as winning, MS showed for the entire life of the console because that showed them as winning

Nintendo's graph wasn't spin.  It very clearly said exactly what it was: a comparison of the first 19 months of each system.

Microsoft's IS spin however, because it is saying that Nintendo is lying, and the evidence they supply has nothing to do with it.  Microsoft isn't discussing the first 19 months.  They're using their yearlong headstart and calling Nintendo liars.  Nintendo didn't lie.

And as usual, they're ignoring Japan.

Around the Network

UPDATE: Having read our story, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter decided to give us his take in an email: "Year-to-date (which I think is more relevant than lifetime), third parties have sold 13.4 million units of software for the Wii and 16.5 million units for the 360. That's NPD, and U.S. only. My guess is that the numbers are much closer to the same if we include Europe, and much higher for Wii if we go worldwide."

Hey smart analysis by Pachter, who'd've thought it. ;)

The Ghost of RubangB said:
scottie said:
There's only 1 way to make a fair comparison.

Wait about 10 years, until there are no 7th gen software sales

Anything put out before then is spin, accept it. Ninty published data for the first 19 months cos it showed them as winning, MS showed for the entire life of the console because that showed them as winning

Nintendo's graph wasn't spin.  It very clearly said exactly what it was: a comparison of the first 19 months of each system.

Microsoft's IS spin however, because it is saying that Nintendo is lying, and the evidence they supply has nothing to do with it.  Microsoft isn't discussing the first 19 months.  They're using their yearlong headstart and calling Nintendo liars.  Nintendo didn't lie.

And as usual, they're ignoring Japan.

Just as well Nintendo ignored Japan really. It would detract from their argument.

PSN - hanafuda

TheBigFatJ said:
freebird4 said:
LOLL, I'm enjoying reading this thread. The Nintendo fanboys are scrambling.

Scrambling?  Scrambling for what -- to explain to people that the Wii is selling more third party software than the Xbox 360 when you align launches?  Scrambling to explain the obvious: that this suggests the Wii will sell more third party software than the Xbox 360 overall?

All Nintendo says is that they sold the most games and the most third party games in the first 19 months after launch.  That's true.  Is this hard to understand or do you think it's somehow irrelevant?

And if you want to see Microsoft completely crushed by the Wii for third party sales, why not compare performance over the entirely world instead of just America, Microsoft's sole strong region?

Fact: the Wii sells more third party software world wide than the Xbox 360 and currently has sold more software in 20 months than the Xbox 360 sold in 32 months.  Talk about domination.  And Wii's don't even routinely crash after a few months of use like the currently manufactured Xbox 360s do.

Align their launches eh? Yeah, that would make sense if they showed sales data per release (through 19 months) or the Wii and 360 had similar sales through their first 19 months. You want to "align" their launches but you don't want to look at any other metric?

@Sqrl:

Sorry bud, but it's funny when everyone believes the numbers when Nintendo presents them, but when Microsoft shows better data (i.e. RAW numbers), everyone is refuting it.

freebird4 - There's raw numbers for what Nintendo showed. Try reading TheSource's post a few above.

DKII said:
freebird4 - There's raw numbers for what Nintendo showed. Try reading TheSource's post a few above.

Oh really?? What's wrong with the NPD numbers that Microsoft presented? Why is the one that supports your view the most accurate?

Both parties could be lying out of their ass, but because X data shows Nintendo to be king, it's gospel.