By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo lying about third party dominance?

Wow. I thought the discussion had moved on from "games don't sell" to "the wrong games sell". That seems to have been premature.

Around the Network
Oyvoyvoyv said:
Okay, they said first 19 months. That favours Nintendo slightly, but they won't present it in a way that favours X360 - come on!

They're comparing the first 19 months because that's the period from launch for which there is data for both consoles.  You could compare the Wii at 19 months to the Xbox 360 at 31 months, but that wouldn't be indicative of which one is doing better.  It would only be indicitive of which one has been selling longer.

So the Wii has sold more third party games in the same period from launch as the Xbox 360.  Presumably, the trends will continue and by this time next year, the Wii will have more third party games sold than the Xbox does now. 

I think Nintendo's point is that third parties will sell a lot more Wii games over the life of the Wii than they will sell Xbox 360 over the life of the Xbox 360.  And this information suggests that to be true.

ok the 360 has been on sale for 12 more months...

67,970,000 software units total via 3rd parties total

33,400,000 software units via 3rd parties for wii

from release- dates aligned- the wii has sold more software via 3rd party vs the 360 for 19 months

from non date aligned- the 360 has sold more 3rd party by ~2 to 1 due to the 12 month head start

67970000-15,000,000(just took the 12month figure from nintendo and subtracted it from ms's number = 52,970,000 vs 33400000.. ~20 million unit difference

software sales FROM wii release to now ALSO show the 360 ahead.

what does this mean,,,it means the wii has no AAA 3rd party games as of this date, while the 360 has had a dozen or so AA-AAA releases in that time frame...

nothing to worry about. both view points are valid, both are right, they just portray different viewpoints to highlight their respective consoles,

oh and the ps3 3rd parties are getting trounced by both of them

nevermind.

Nintendo showed the data to express that software from third parties do sell on their platform, and the relation to first party software on their platform, then did a comparison to the other two platforms in the same respect.

Microsoft did the exact same thing but voided the point the previous data made by skewing data with their one extra year. If that was the case and Microsoft did want to keep the data on track, they should of offered PS2 and GC data for that period, then sum it under Nintendo and Sony platform as well, Xbox sales wouldn't be tracked as that platform isn't viable per the 360 launch.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Around the Network

LOLL, I'm enjoying reading this thread. The Nintendo fanboys are scrambling.

Over here's just waiting for Sony to do thiers, that's going to be touche.. wait..

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

freebird4 said:

If you think what someone is saying is wrong then debate them, just laughing at them from the shadows is trolling. Continue to do this and I will ban you.  Consider this your warning.

To Each Man, Responsibility
freebird4 said:

Scrambling?  Scrambling for what -- to explain to people that the Wii is selling more third party software than the Xbox 360 when you align launches?  Scrambling to explain the obvious: that this suggests the Wii will sell more third party software than the Xbox 360 overall?

All Nintendo says is that they sold the most games and the most third party games in the first 19 months after launch.  That's true.  Is this hard to understand or do you think it's somehow irrelevant?

And if you want to see Microsoft completely crushed by the Wii for third party sales, why not compare performance over the entirely world instead of just America, Microsoft's sole strong region?

Fact: the Wii sells more third party software world wide than the Xbox 360 and currently has sold more software in 20 months than the Xbox 360 sold in 32 months.  Talk about domination.  And Wii's don't even routinely crash after a few months of use like the currently manufactured Xbox 360s do.

FishyJoe said:
Exactly when did Nintendo say they were dominating third party sales. They said they were doing well and better than their competitors. But I don't recall them saying they dominated.

It's bad enough with just the MS spin. But do these game sites have to pile spin on top of spin as well?

certainly they didn't but many took it as its, it would be changing the goals to say otherwise.

first they posted 1st+3rd party graph... (FAIL)

then one showed 3rd party where their line was suppose to be bigger ( with no data which games were included)

the m$ reply with one overall with shows the HD is bigger.

even its wii passes 360, HD will still be bigger for a while, since they will never get 70%+ domination ps2 had.