By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: we didn't bribe to get FFXIII

Griffin said:
MrBubbles said:
Jo21 said:
Griffin said:
couchmonkey said:
It could definitely have been Square Enix's own decision...it makes a lot of sense to put the game on both systems, and I've been arguing that third parties will go this direction since about 18 months ago when it became obvious that the HD systems weren't selling that well and the budgets were sky-high.

Then again, it could definitely have been a bribe. Microsoft has piles of money and have openly used it to buy a number of exclusives and timed exclusives like GTA 4 and Rock Band 2.

Actually, looking at my last statement, I guess maybe that's the best reason to think it's not a bribe: Microsoft usually admits it when it's a bribe.

If SE was worried about sales the game would be coming to each system and in each region.  SE is also keeping Star ocean as a 360 exclusive, even though it has a small userbase in Japan, SE's main market. The 360 also has a diminishing market share in the world.  SE is also producing many other JRPG'sexclusive to the 360, either timed or permanent.

exactly.

why to release them exclusive to a the smallest market?

its a shoot in the foot... they could make the multiplatform.

the last star ocean had greater sales in america.

But the combined total sales of the Ps3 version would pass the 360 version WW.

what sort of evidence do you have to back such an assertion.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network
MrBubbles said:
Griffin said:
MrBubbles said:
Jo21 said:
Griffin said:
couchmonkey said:
It could definitely have been Square Enix's own decision...it makes a lot of sense to put the game on both systems, and I've been arguing that third parties will go this direction since about 18 months ago when it became obvious that the HD systems weren't selling that well and the budgets were sky-high.

Then again, it could definitely have been a bribe. Microsoft has piles of money and have openly used it to buy a number of exclusives and timed exclusives like GTA 4 and Rock Band 2.

Actually, looking at my last statement, I guess maybe that's the best reason to think it's not a bribe: Microsoft usually admits it when it's a bribe.

If SE was worried about sales the game would be coming to each system and in each region.  SE is also keeping Star ocean as a 360 exclusive, even though it has a small userbase in Japan, SE's main market. The 360 also has a diminishing market share in the world.  SE is also producing many other JRPG'sexclusive to the 360, either timed or permanent.

exactly.

why to release them exclusive to a the smallest market?

its a shoot in the foot... they could make the multiplatform.

the last star ocean had greater sales in america.

But the combined total sales of the Ps3 version would pass the 360 version WW.

what sort of evidence do you have to back such an assertion.

The fact that what i say is true is my evidence

I think if Square enix got no money out of this deal at all, it only proves the incompetence of the SE executives. Lesser known companies have been actually paid by MS for lesser known titles in the past, so it wouldn't have been that difficult for SE to get at least some amount of money when the FF deal was done.
I don't know whether money is the primal reason for the decision or not (I would guess it isn't), but it would be very unwise to give their biggest title FOR FREE, when the money-making possibility is actually before them.
Any sensible business leader would try to maximize their profit, don't they? Yoichi Wada is a former banker and a famous money-maker after all

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Exactly. Theres no refuting it. The sad part is that they have to go and kiss Sony's behind now at TGS. They don't need to appologize for anything. This is all about money for these people. It always has been. Thats the main reason they brought the main FF franchise onto the PSX in the beginning. Nintendo has reaped nothing, so Sony fanboys should NOT be pissed if they understand Squares history.

I fail to see how that's the "sad" part. If it's all about money (which I also think is true) then "kissing sony ass" is part of their plan aswell. If there's no reason to believe that SquareEnix did get paid off by MS to get FF13 on the 360 outside of Japan, then why would there be any reason to believe that SquareEnix would feel like they'd have to make up for Sony? In the end it's all about business, advertsing their product (or "kissing sony ass" as you say) on Sony hardware (in TGS) is no different. What would be the other route? showing off games on the 360? in Japan? No, because that wouldn't be a good business decision..... unless..... Microsoft pays them (Infinite Undiscovery/Star Ocean).

Well, this is in the microsoft discussion section so im gonna add my views............... Lets go back to 1994 shall we when the Famicom-playstation launched......... SONY HAD NO DEVELOPERS...... and the only knowledge that they did have in gaming was stolen from nintendo by sonys precious ex president ken "thief" kutugari..... Sega and Nintendo were already gaming Hardware and Software PIONEERS.... who can argue with nintendos best games like mario, zelda and donkey kong ect.... and who could argue with Segas rich history in gaming? Sonic, Virtua fighter, shinobi ect.... the point im getting at here is i love how sony fanboys try to make out as though Microsoft are a company that pay for everything???? HOW DO YOU THINK TEKKEN AND WIPEOUT GOT ON TO PLAYSTATION CONSOLES IN THE FIRST PLACE???? yeah, thats right, the almighty dollar, sony PAID FOR THEM.... money talks.... Sega and Nintendo have more gaming talent in thier little finger than sony will EVER HAVE.... sony bought thier success.... Nintendo and Sega EARNED IT.... so next time you talk about microsoft "buying" a game...... consider this......... SONY HAD NOTHING IN THE GAMING BUSINESS UNTIL THEY WAVED THIER CHEQUE BOOK AROUND..... bottom line_________

Around the Network
Ronster316 said:

blarhgahgalklsalkdjals rant rant rant bahrahasdhabs little finger galrarahrah HULK SMASH blahahashasdasdj rant etc.

Still not over the fall of Sega eh? I know (as a dreamcast owner), it was tough, but we have to move on... (sheds single tear)

I'm pretty damn drunk and I only had to read the quote once to know that nowhere does anyone deny that MS paid for FF13 to be on the 360. Not even once.

Let's not mince words here:  If you're looking at install bases (which is what is suggested) of course it makes sense to put the game on all systems.  But what else is there to consider?  Perhaps the reduced profits due to MS charging per-disc fees that wouldn't even come up on a Blu-Ray realease?  Perhaps the fact that breaking a contract with Sony may potentially cost them millions of dollars?  Perhaps the fact that the cost of porting such a large game may not be easily off-set by the added sales, since many people who woul have bought it on 360 would have simply bought it on PS3 instead?

The thing that's really obvious here is that the person quoted isn't giving you straight talk and is telling you to look at the obvious factors as opposed to considering all of the ones that aren't so obvious.  And still, he never denies that MS paid for the game.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

why are you even discussing wether microsoft PAID for it or not? its irrelivent..... sony have been paying for games since they 1st BRIBED thier way in to the gaming business..... my conclusion.... they are both as bad.......

If you ask me, he was more on the confirming it side than denying side. He just wanted to say that bribing wasn't the main reason. Square Enix wanted the game on Xbox 360 but wanted Microsoft to pay for the development of the port or something like that.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Ronster316 said:

Well, this is in the microsoft discussion section so im gonna add my views............... Lets go back to 1994 shall we when the Famicom-playstation launched......... SONY HAD NO DEVELOPERS...... and the only knowledge that they did have in gaming was stolen from nintendo by sonys precious ex president ken "thief" kutugari..... Sega and Nintendo were already gaming Hardware and Software PIONEERS.... who can argue with nintendos best games like mario, zelda and donkey kong ect.... and who could argue with Segas rich history in gaming? Sonic, Virtua fighter, shinobi ect.... the point im getting at here is i love how sony fanboys try to make out as though Microsoft are a company that pay for everything???? HOW DO YOU THINK TEKKEN AND WIPEOUT GOT ON TO PLAYSTATION CONSOLES IN THE FIRST PLACE???? yeah, thats right, the almighty dollar, sony PAID FOR THEM.... money talks.... Sega and Nintendo have more gaming talent in thier little finger than sony will EVER HAVE.... sony bought thier success.... Nintendo and Sega EARNED IT.... so next time you talk about microsoft "buying" a game...... consider this......... SONY HAD NOTHING IN THE GAMING BUSINESS UNTIL THEY WAVED THIER CHEQUE BOOK AROUND..... bottom line_________

You've got some issues dude.

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com