By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I will buy the iPhone. I need to buy the iPhone. I want to buy the iPhone. I have to have the iPhone. I shall get the iphone.

Around the Network
abrader said:
Correction to this thread - The iPhone is a computer running Mobile OS X.

Its basically a tablet Mac desktop apps and a phone app....

The ATT EDGE speeds are fine. Additionally the iPhone can make use of WAP's for 802.11 b/g internet connectivity...it scans and auto connects as needed, it also turns off wifi when idle to save battery....

First eab, I'm gonna start with you.

Why do I pick on AT&T? I call them cingular because that's who I dealt with, and those are the same plans in service today.

They are expensive, slow, and did I mention expensive for what you get. Sure their the biggest. But I got scammed by their insurance, I got fucked 3 times by their warrenty exchange, and got screwed by a few big bills from them fucking up my roll-over minutes. Basically I've been fucked by Cingular around 5-10 times. In all honesty, they are the only corperate company I wish would burn in HELL. Microsoft is a MUCH better company than them. At least they keep the customer half-way happy.

I have dealt with every data-plan Cingular has to offer, and used quite a few of them. Untill they some-how fucked up my data-plan, plan. And sent me a 2000$ bill, when I had unlimited internet. (fuck you cingular)

I canned my data-plan when that happend. But it was an EDGE plan.

I'll say this about EDGE right now, really fast. It's ISDN speeds. 10-20kbps.

Just about right for browing a WAP page. Best viewed on a 320x240 pixel LCD screen. Works just fine with black-and-white, as it does with the new beautiful screens. Screw the massive beautiful screen on the iPhone.

To surf the web, with, say, a phone, actually... surfing the... well... web. (duh)  Let me tell you this. The average You-Tube video is around 8megs. Or roughly 2megs/minute. Now, let's quarter the resolution. Now, we are running 1meg/minute. Anything below that, and you wouldnt be able to tell a white man, from a black man. Now, the average youtube video is around 4megs. Or on the iPhone, you are looking at a 6-7 minute download. For a 4minute video, that is such low quality you can BARELY (but you can) Tell the diffrence from a black man and a white man.

Now, my phone, a Sanyo M1, running on the sprintPCS network, I could download that video in 40seconds. Or download the actual full resolution video in around 80seconds. Well under half the time it takes to play it. So it can easily stream a youtube video.

Moral of the story. The iphone, with it's amazing screen quality, resolution, and high resolution video features. You better transfer them to your iPhone at home. Becuase your dataplan is too damn slow.

I can download songs off the sprint music store to my phone, in about 20-30 seconds. Yes, think iTunes, but for cell phones. 99cents a song. 40 seconds it is saved to my phone. Now it dont stop there. I can download it to my PC as well, so I can archive it.

Moral of the story, even though the iPhone wipes your ass for you when you take a dump, and AT&T has the worst plans in the industry for price, as well as the fact they have the worst data-network in the industry, They have the most data-plan intensive phone. (god, I bet it's slow to surf the web on that thing... wait, it is)

Yes, the iPhone is running OSX. I knew that 2 months ago. Did you?
Yes, the iPhone has WiFi in it. It's not WAPS. WAP is 'wireless access protocol' it's like HTTP, but it's for wireless phones. Learn your network protocols.
Yes, the iPhone is only useful when useing WiFi. So for me, a trucker, tell me. Can I check my e-mail at a truck-stop on a notebook, at broadband speeds? Oh, wait, they dont offer wifi for free.

Basically the iPhone is amazing hardware, with defective network.

Shams - if the iPhone is roughly 2x faster on the CPU than the PSP, and 2x faster on the graphics chip as well, that would make the iPhone about as fast as a PS2. Due to that, the internal 1200mAH battery would last in the ballpark of 1 hour. As doubling the speed more than doubles the power consumption. So you would have between 1 hour to 2 hours of gameplay. Better bring a battery jack, and an ice-pack for the burns it will leave on your hands.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

All I need in my phone is the phone and an MP3 player.  I like to consolidate devices and all, but that's really all I ever want.  I keep either my DS or PSP on me at all times, so I certainly don't need it for games, and I have a laptop and despise internet browsing on portables.  So, for me, my sprint upstage is just fine. 

Kwaad said:

Shams - if the iPhone is roughly 2x faster on the CPU than the PSP, and 2x faster on the graphics chip as well, that would make the iPhone about as fast as a PS2. Due to that, the internal 1200mAH battery would last in the ballpark of 1 hour. As doubling the speed more than doubles the power consumption. So you would have between 1 hour to 2 hours of gameplay. Better bring a battery jack, and an ice-pack for the burns it will leave on your hands.

Except that:

1/ It uses a different CPU, which has specific "low power consumption" features. Its actually a lot closer to what a DS uses.

2/ Lower power use screen.

3/ No disk drive.

Software can also set the clock rate that the machine runs at.

See the link I posted above for more details. From what i have read so far, people are *very* impressed with the power use. Its actually coming out better than Apple claim.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I think the iPhone is bloody awesome, but I think in a year or two apple will have refined it, with a better operating system and some better integration of features (as it starts to become the standard like iPod is) and at about that time I will adopt it.

The interfact is magnificent at the moment, but there are a few things that I have seen (haven't used one yet) that turn me off a little bit and make me sway away from buying it, it also seems a little bit 'slow' in menu changes and at raw processing power crunches, which seems frustrating to me. Give a year or two for the second or third revision and we'll see how we're going.

Apple easily make the most user friendly interfaces for systems like that... being a PC user I can't use Mac OSX for the life of me (Microsoft shortcuts are engrained in me) but when you see people using this thing it's just like, okay if you were to want to do something how would you do it if you just naturally reacted, and that's how the iPhone works.

All the tech specs and the wizz bang features in the world wont sell millions of iPhones, if the interface is easy enough for ma and pa kettle to 'get' without getting frustrated then it's going to sell by the bazillions... I want to give one to my mum and see how she goes with it to see my judgement on sales potential (ipod level? maybe).

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

We'll have to see how the sales hold up. I'm sure we've all seen Video Game systems launch to enormous fanfare, only to settle into moderate sales once the fanatics had all gotten their system. N64 comes to mind (outside of America). If it's still selling extremely well 3 months from now, I think it's safe to say that Apple has a winner regardless of any reservations we may have.

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen this, watch this -- it's hilarious.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail%3bjsessionid=66434CA6FE6500D6A04B9F946D779145?contentId=3641729&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

Synopsis: woman shows up at Apple store with 100,000 dollars in cash. Woman pays off 800 dollars to get first spot in line from some schmoe. She tells Camera crew that she's going to buy all the iPhones in the store and sell them on eBay. If you've ever been to a video game console opening day, I think you can already see where this is heading :p

i know im late but this video was freakin hilarious..she really thought she could buy out the whole store...lol

Hmmm. I might have to get an iPhone if it's ever cheap(er) and my contract ends with TMobile. I hate my stupid phone, and ended up giving my brother the chance to upgrade his phone (he upgraded from one of those old nokia phones that everyone had, the ones that look like the 2125's).

To be fair, the new Nokia N95 is ~$749.00 USD, and has maybe 1/10th the features.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Its a phone... unless I get it for free with my contract I would never get one because... its just a phone and I am already overpaying for my phone service. I just need it to make calls with and I need it to be cheap enough to be replaceable at a momments whim without making a dent in my wallet in case it broke or stopped working just like any other normal phone.

Furthermore, I can get a smaller 2gig video(divx/mpeg4)/mp3 player for $40 at fry's at any time without worrying about drm garbage and exclusivities.

Ha HA HA HA HA, oh crap that was funny. I thought this was going to be a skit at first. She lost $800 because she was an idiot. I wonder If she bought any? Try to sell the one she could get for double its price to make up the difference.

iphone:

Cool device, but not 600 dollars cool.

That's the same opinion I have about the Ps-Triple as well.