By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Those who say the iphone sucks are out of their minds... ever review I've read have been iphone excellent Att - crap. Although 600 dollars is high but it's a definte value... I will be getting it once my contract is up in like 6 months just in time for version 2. FYI when the razr came out it was $500 dollars compare that to the iphone no comparison.

Honestly i need a ipod and my phone suks everything else that the iphone does is just gravy. There are a bunch of people like that, ATT will be force to upgrade there service to 3g once everyone starts complaining about it.

Around the Network
eab said:

Why does everyone always bash the big companies like AT&T? It has more customers than any other network, and the reception in my part of the Mid West is superb. I haven't had a dropped call yet in the three years I'v been with the company, and I always have reception. Three of my friends had other providers but they all switched over in the past year or so to AT&T 

I'm glad the iPhone is on AT&T, as I can make free calls to anyone on the network, and anyone in my city who didn't have AT&T before, will probably switch over now :)

everyone bashes AT&T because they used to be like microsoft, until they were split up. Now somehow they got back together, lol.

Eab:
The speed of the network is a dealbreaker given the abundance of internet features, and the exclusivity of the contract is stupid. Even if AT&T are the best company in the world, those aspects are bad for iPhone.

Allstarr:
As an iPod, iPhone is only comparable to the Nano, but with video. At least for me 4-8 gigs is worthless now that I'm used to using a 30 gig iPod as a music player/harddrive.

I'm sure they'll come out with larger harddrive models in the future, though.

And Razr was expensive when it came out, but it didn't take off until it reached mass market prices. I don't think iPhone will take off until it reaches a mass market price either. As you said, the extra features are gravy, meaning if the meat and potatoes are too expensive, the gravy won't help sales.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Oh, I thought this was the first time a phone had been priced in this range. Guess I was wrong! I'm not much of a cell phone follower :p

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Oh, and I doubt the iPhone will ever be RAZR cheap/common. The RAZR is a phone, granted a slim one, but it's just a phone. The iPhone is an iPod, no way will Apple let it get cheap or else people would just pick them up for 20 bucks and no one would be buying Nanos

Around the Network

I agree with everyone about how the iphone won't be a razr type deal thing where you can buy for like $40. However it just might turn to an ipod type thing where if some who wants it can have it but it will be at the lowest $300

I got it, I love it, too muc to type about it.....

Best smartphone i ever had - I just traded that new Verizon exclusive blackberry "World Edition" for it....best move I ever made....now - bring on the software updates and widget library!

Playstation Network - Abrader

Correction to this thread - The iPhone is a computer running Mobile OS X.

Its basically a tablet Mac desktop apps and a phone app....

The ATT EDGE speeds are fine. Additionally the iPhone can make use of WAP's for 802.11 b/g internet connectivity...it scans and auto connects as needed, it also turns off wifi when idle to save battery....

Playstation Network - Abrader

For those interested, found a link to an article that contains the hardware contained within the iPhone. And it DOES look it supports Java (probably J2SE, rather than J2ME/MIDP2 though):

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/01/iphone-processor-found-620mhz-arm/

"Looks like today's morning's firmware leak turned up some well hidden details about the iPhone's hardware engine -- and also confirming some reports we'd previously received. From what we can tell, it looks like the iPhone's got a 620MHz ARM chip running under the hood. Specifics:

• ARM1176JZF chip with TrustZone (enables trusted computing environment for media, apps, network, OS, etc. -- very bad for hackers)
  • Can vary in clock speed up to 700MHz or more, depending on implementation (thanks, Nigma)
  • ARM Intelligent Energy Manager (claimed to reduce power consumption 25-50% in portables)
  • 16K / 16K cache
  • Features vector floating point coprocessor ("for embedded 3D-graphics")
  • ARM Jazelle enabled for embedded Java execution (hmm...)
  • SIMD, high perf integer CPU (8-stage pipeline, 675 Dhrystone, 2.1 MIPS)
  • 0.45 mW/MHz power draw (with cache)"

Roughly twice the CPU speed of a PSP. Specs actually look pretty cool to me :)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Updating the iPhone sales figures:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=AAPL:US&sid=aUIjMF2enOFY

"Shoppers snapped up as many as 200,000 iPhones the first day after the device went on sale June 29, according to Global Equities Research. While it was still available at all 164 Apple stores yesterday, AT&T said most of its 1,800 stores no longer had the phone in stock. AT&T is the only mobile-phone service that works with the iPhone."

Makes sense for Apple to have large stocks in place. Looks like this could be a big money spinner for them.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099