By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Erik Aston said:
I think iPhone is going to perform poorly. You can get Razrs or Blackberrys cheap or free with some contracts, and get the "big enough" iPod for $250. People will choose the cheaper dedicated devices as always.

It could have succeeded if it arrived kinda quietly, and then had some time to drop the price and improve performance and features. Now the press and public expect the product to cure cancer, and when it doesn't, it will become a punchline on Leno. Apple needed to do the standard announce-just-before-launch, instead of trying to show off by overshadowing CES and then hyping for months.

Price drops, increased storage capacity and a faster network could eventually make it a huge product. But if that's the case, why the launch hype? Now they're in danger of having highly publicized short-term inadequecies killing the momentum.

I strongly agree. Machines that sell well out of the gate can do well long term, no question; but machines that sell extremely well out of the gate then plummet in sales shortly therafter tend to stay dead. "Momentum" is an abstract concept for which the causes are difficult to pinpoint, but it clearly exists and has serious consequences. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:
Erik Aston said:
I think iPhone is going to perform poorly. You can get Razrs or Blackberrys cheap or free with some contracts, and get the "big enough" iPod for $250. People will choose the cheaper dedicated devices as always.

It could have succeeded if it arrived kinda quietly, and then had some time to drop the price and improve performance and features. Now the press and public expect the product to cure cancer, and when it doesn't, it will become a punchline on Leno. Apple needed to do the standard announce-just-before-launch, instead of trying to show off by overshadowing CES and then hyping for months.

Price drops, increased storage capacity and a faster network could eventually make it a huge product. But if that's the case, why the launch hype? Now they're in danger of having highly publicized short-term inadequecies killing the momentum.

I strongly agree. Machines that sell well out of the gate can do well long term, no question; but machines that sell extremely well out of the gate then plummet in sales shortly therafter tend to stay dead. "Momentum" is an abstract concept for which the causes are difficult to pinpoint, but it clearly exists and has serious consequences.

See, I think the iPhone is amazing. Great peice of hardware.

However it needs to be on a diffrent network. It can NOT be on the AT&T network. The iPhone is based around online multimedia services. AT&T is too slow to do that. With Sprint, I can download a 2meg file off the cell-towers faster than bluetooth can trasfer it. And Bluetooth is like 10x faster than the AT&T cell-tower data-network.

If the iPhone came out for sprint, it would be a major success.

(It is a media phone, based around high data-plan use. AT&T does not have a data-plan that can... accomadate the iPhone's thirst for bandwidth. It needs to be able to download at 50kbyte or more a second. Not 5-10kbyte.

I have seen my Sanyo M1 download at around 150KBYTE/second. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

windowview said:
I just read an article on Gizmodo that the iphone didn't sell out anywhere, and that people can buy up to 4 now.

I'll be surprised if this was true... unless Apple really delivered HEAPS of launch units. There seemed to be a huge amount of hype & people lining up for the launch.

Link?

And regardless of any AT&T contract - Apple can launch the iPhone OS (Europe, Asia) whenever they want. They can then join better providers, with better data speeds (etc..). 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Well I now read that this didn't pertain to launch day but still its astounding that you can buy up to 4 already.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/four-iphones-per-person-at-apple-stores-274085.php

Kwaad:

Oh, I agree its a great product. More than just great hardware, its great hardware/software integration creating a unique and user-friendly interface, which will be the hallmark of all great consumer electronics of the future.

And I agree that they're hurting themselves with this bad network. They shouldn't have been exclusive with one company, since no one covers everywhere, and in addition they chose a slow network. AT&T is building a faster network I believe, but the old slow one covers more places. (Though it doesn't cover a lot here in Wisconsin from what I'm hearing.)

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network
Kwaad said:
Bodhesatva said:
Erik Aston said:

However it needs to be on a diffrent network. It can NOT be on the AT&T network. The iPhone is based around online multimedia services. AT&T is too slow to do that. With Sprint, I can download a 2meg file off the cell-towers faster than bluetooth can trasfer it. And Bluetooth is like 10x faster than the AT&T cell-tower data-network.

If the iPhone came out for sprint, it would be a major success.

(It is a media phone, based around high data-plan use. AT&T does not have a data-plan that can... accomadate the iPhone's thirst for bandwidth. It needs to be able to download at 50kbyte or more a second. Not 5-10kbyte.

I have seen my Sanyo M1 download at around 150KBYTE/second.

Oh, I totally agree it's a solid machine, Kwaad, I'm just saying that I doubt its will sell extremely well. There's a difference, as lots of good machines have flopped. If the iphone sells well out of the gate and then keeps selling well for maybe 4-5 more months, then I'd say it has a lock on a large market share. But 499 dollar phones leave me a little suspicious of the sales past technophiles. The hype surrounding the machine has, from my perspective, seemed to be created largely by huge gadget-heads that love this kind of thing, and not by a larger userbase. Maybe I'm wrong; we'll see. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

So far, so good.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7007799535

Erik Aston said:
Kwaad:

Oh, I agree its a great product. More than just great hardware, its great hardware/software integration creating a unique and user-friendly interface, which will be the hallmark of all great consumer electronics of the future.

And I agree that they're hurting themselves with this bad network. They shouldn't have been exclusive with one company, since no one covers everywhere, and in addition they chose a slow network. AT&T is building a faster network I believe, but the old slow one covers more places. (Though it doesn't cover a lot here in Wisconsin from what I'm hearing.)

Read my post Erik. Amazingly similar! Clearly you've plagiarized! 

Bodhesatva said:

Oh, I totally agree it's a solid machine, Kwaad, I'm just saying that I doubt its will sell extremely well. There's a difference, as lots of good machines have flopped. If the iphone sells well out of the gate and then keeps selling well for maybe 4-5 more months, then I'd say it has a lock on a large market share. But 499 dollar phones leave me a little suspicious of the sales past technophiles. The hype surrounding the machine has, from my perspective, seemed to be created largely by huge gadget-heads that love this kind of thing, and not by a larger userbase. Maybe I'm wrong; we'll see. 

Read my post Bod. Amazingly similar! Clearly you've plagiarized! 

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Why does everyone always bash the big companies like AT&T? It has more customers than any other network, and the reception in my part of the Mid West is superb. I haven't had a dropped call yet in the three years I'v been with the company, and I always have reception. Three of my friends had other providers but they all switched over in the past year or so to AT&T 

I'm glad the iPhone is on AT&T, as I can make free calls to anyone on the network, and anyone in my city who didn't have AT&T before, will probably switch over now :)