By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - HOME footage i cant wait for this to arrive simply brilliant HURRY UP SONY

Showertea said:
Damn it! Why is sony ruining gaming with all this non-gaming bull. I mean, first Home, then Little Big Planet, then Afrika. Of course, it all started with Lair, which can't be counted as a playable game (Zing!)

Now, I really don't get Home. Part of me thinks it's just like second life only instead of being able to basically do whatever you want with appearance/objects/physics/whatever you get to be cursed at by XBox-live-style idiots.

Another part of me looks at it and thinks "Man, sony really has no idea how to rip off the Wii, do they?"

And a third part of me just thinks "Yeah right. That's gonna come out sometime around the PS4."

I think Sony's main problem is that they have good ideas but they spend too long implementing them. Home would be an amazing concept if it was launched last christmas, but now with stuff like Google Lively in beta and the 360s Avatars (which are gonna be released well before Home, despite home being announced a year earlier), they really don't have the Wow factor. Same with Little Big Planet. I mean, allowing the characters to affect the game world however they want and make things however they want is awesome, but it's releasing early-mid '09, and is basically like a more intense platformer version of the Forge mode on Halo 3.

I'm not trying to troll, I just don't see this 'game' as the greatest thing ever to happen.

its a 3d world to be their user interface.

more like flashy XMB, but based on a 3d World where you can meet people, launch games, listen to music with your friends. kind of a XMB replacement.

of course most of the features are available on the xmb. like launch games but not like home.

alot like microsoft copy with avatars but in a FULL world way... m$ only did the work half way... its no where near home was/is right now.

@davidwes

its not the same as home, thinking it up much like a flashier XMB.

it may work in some ways as second life but it have alot more to keep it going.

Around the Network

Home will be a virtual lobby - a community for the PSN. It will be where you can interact without having to meet in a game or through getting added to a friends list. Also screens in common areas showing game trailers, video blog news and reviews and, of course, ads.

Understand that this will be major news for the PSN users. Its the one thing that XBL still holds over it - a sense of community feeling. Well this changes all that if done right. (Hasn't that always been the big 'if' for Sony?)

Imagine being able to watch E3, GC or TGS broadcast through a common room in Home? Would be well worth using. I think not everyone will use it straight away, but it does try to generate a more community feel which would be a massive boost.

Home will be great, i just cant wait!

looks very interestinfg and fun hopefully

This will help Sony's sales as I believe that if they do it right, home will be a huge thing because these virtual worlds are becoming more popular and bigger each year and considering this is free and looks remarkably better than any of the other ones on the net well....This will help with the casual sales I personally believe.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Around the Network

can someone post the link since my safari browser wont show the video insert :S

Showertea said:
Damn it! Why is sony ruining gaming with all this non-gaming bull. I mean, first Home, then Little Big Planet, then Afrika. Of course, it all started with Lair, which can't be counted as a playable game (Zing!)

Now, I really don't get Home. Part of me thinks it's just like second life only instead of being able to basically do whatever you want with appearance/objects/physics/whatever you get to be cursed at by XBox-live-style idiots.

Another part of me looks at it and thinks "Man, sony really has no idea how to rip off the Wii, do they?"

And a third part of me just thinks "Yeah right. That's gonna come out sometime around the PS4."

I think Sony's main problem is that they have good ideas but they spend too long implementing them. Home would be an amazing concept if it was launched last christmas, but now with stuff like Google Lively in beta and the 360s Avatars (which are gonna be released well before Home, despite home being announced a year earlier), they really don't have the Wow factor. Same with Little Big Planet. I mean, allowing the characters to affect the game world however they want and make things however they want is awesome, but it's releasing early-mid '09, and is basically like a more intense platformer version of the Forge mode on Halo 3.

I'm not trying to troll, I just don't see this 'game' as the greatest thing ever to happen.

1) Ruining gaming by introducing new gaming elements?! people enjoy different games for different reasons. Part of the reason why Fable was so hugely popular was due to its large world and being able to communicate with various characters and have your own path etc. Games like GTA are praised for these very same reasons- This is what home is about. a huge open world with huge possibilities. the difference being the people you will interact with won't be A.I controlled but will be other gamers.  This is going to change gaming in ways that I can't wait to see. It will be like Yakuza, GTA and other similar games with real life people mingling, gaming and communicating. You clearly lack imagination if you fail to see how much this has to offer.

PSN titles are some of the highest rated titles...do you know why?out of the box thinking and gaming. Afrika is just one of these games. Then you get FLWOER and PixelJunk Eden and the new gardening game. It's variety and innovative gaming. A game company should be praised for this not put down.

2) "Man, sony really has no idea how to rip off the Wii, do they?" <--- What does this have to do with anything ??? troll alert!

3) you may have tried not to troll but.... EPIC FAIL!

Home will be neat because its free. I'm not excited about it and ultimately, as I have always thought, I think it will be underused. Home is a relic of the Kutaragi "PS3 is not a game system" concept. Once he was gone, they looked at Home and realized they had to make some big changes for it to fit into the new "Game Machine" view of the PS3 they wanted to push. It is good that they are adding more features to it and have delayed it, but ultimately it's problem is that the PS3 just didn't fill the role that Home is best suited for, the center of everyone's living room and online experience.

Home is neat. I'll certainly download it and play around with it a bit when it finally releases, but ultimately I'll ignore it to just play games.

I give this thread 9.6.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Well, HOME is definitely getting a lot of buzz, even among the non-PS3 fans even though it isn't out yet. Does that count for anything?

could someone explain me in which way this thing is supposed to be revolutionary?

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M