By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - HOME footage i cant wait for this to arrive simply brilliant HURRY UP SONY

:O

Around the Network

It looks like something I would probably not fiddle around with. Walking to the game room? Can't I just get there on the XMB screen quicker?

I mean it makes really good sense to make something like this on the business front. Social networks have never been more popular... but then again I have never really gotten in to the whole "social networking" thing. I would rather go out and actually hang out with friends, or play video games. Not both at once. But that's just me. I'm sure there are a whole whack of people waiting to have both in one.

Just kiss the tip.

I cant wait...

makes you wonder why you pay for xbl

twesterm said:

Okay, it kind of worked now (started with telling me [no video], then autoplayed and couldn't pause it, then I saw about 20 seconds, and now it's buffering again I guess -- fuck all that, get a better player).

From what I saw, it still doesn't change my opinions. I admit, it's great looking and I'm sure it's a cool free MMO/chat room but that's it. When I want to play a game or watch a movie, I don't want to walk somewhere to play that game, I want to play that game.

To play a game at Home you have to walk from your current area to wherever you have to go to launch games. Lets just assume there aren't load times and that's still shit. In an MMO it can take minutes to walk across a city so we can assume it will take minutes to get to where I want to go. In a world where we bitch about 20 second load times and put up with 8 minute installs to get rid of those, that really sucks.

Now lets assume I can warp to specific areas. so I'm at the coffee shop chatting with friends and I want to play some Uncharted. I select the warp menu, select my apartment, and load my apartment. I wait about 15-20 seconds, then select Play my game, and then wait for the game to load.

I understand Home is cool and new but it's a hassle. It is in no way convenient and that's why people will ultimately forget about it.

-edit-

Of course I will fiddle with this when it's released but I don't think it's going to last me more than a week and I think that's how it's going to be for most people.  I think most people would rather just get to their game.

I forgot to mention the trophy part of this - putting aside my feelings of trophies, I think the trophy aspect is just going to be another hassle.

you get a trophy and you make a special place for it in your room. You arrange them so you have your awesome ones up front and the piddly bronze ones more out of sight. Your room looks awesome with all your awesome equipment and trophies.

The problem is that somebody has to come to your apartment to see your awesome setup. Again, that's a hassle. Why the fuck would I want to take (at least) minutes to see that when I could have something like XBL where I just click a button and I can instantly see all your achievements (and I assume the XMB has something similar)?

My point about Home is that everything is done better through the XMB. People do like flashy graphics but they also like to save time. Home is flashy but it wastes a lot of time and that will be its downfall.

You basically know nothing about Home and yet you talk. I'm not supposed to say it but you can launch a game from everywhere in home, it doesn't take you to go to a specific area. And you don't put your trophies into your room or arrange them... there's a specified location which is more like a big theatre and they just appear when you win them.

Around the Network
Videogirl said:
twesterm said:

Okay, it kind of worked now (started with telling me [no video], then autoplayed and couldn't pause it, then I saw about 20 seconds, and now it's buffering again I guess -- fuck all that, get a better player).

From what I saw, it still doesn't change my opinions. I admit, it's great looking and I'm sure it's a cool free MMO/chat room but that's it. When I want to play a game or watch a movie, I don't want to walk somewhere to play that game, I want to play that game.

To play a game at Home you have to walk from your current area to wherever you have to go to launch games. Lets just assume there aren't load times and that's still shit. In an MMO it can take minutes to walk across a city so we can assume it will take minutes to get to where I want to go. In a world where we bitch about 20 second load times and put up with 8 minute installs to get rid of those, that really sucks.

Now lets assume I can warp to specific areas. so I'm at the coffee shop chatting with friends and I want to play some Uncharted. I select the warp menu, select my apartment, and load my apartment. I wait about 15-20 seconds, then select Play my game, and then wait for the game to load.

I understand Home is cool and new but it's a hassle. It is in no way convenient and that's why people will ultimately forget about it.

-edit-

Of course I will fiddle with this when it's released but I don't think it's going to last me more than a week and I think that's how it's going to be for most people.  I think most people would rather just get to their game.

I forgot to mention the trophy part of this - putting aside my feelings of trophies, I think the trophy aspect is just going to be another hassle.

you get a trophy and you make a special place for it in your room. You arrange them so you have your awesome ones up front and the piddly bronze ones more out of sight. Your room looks awesome with all your awesome equipment and trophies.

The problem is that somebody has to come to your apartment to see your awesome setup. Again, that's a hassle. Why the fuck would I want to take (at least) minutes to see that when I could have something like XBL where I just click a button and I can instantly see all your achievements (and I assume the XMB has something similar)?

My point about Home is that everything is done better through the XMB. People do like flashy graphics but they also like to save time. Home is flashy but it wastes a lot of time and that will be its downfall.

You basically know nothing about Home and yet you talk. I'm not supposed to say it but you can launch a game from everywhere in home, it doesn't take you to go to a specific area. And you don't put your trophies into your room or arrange them... there's a specified location which is more like a big theatre and they just appear when you win them.

Way to break your NDA.

That's good you don't have to walk everywhere to launch a game, but I'm guessing you still have to walk or warp everywhere to do everything else which, again, is a hassle.  If I want to chat with something, I want to just chat with them.  If I want to watch a movie, I just want to watch a movie.  I don't want to have to travel and waste time.

As for the arranging of the trophies, I'm just going off of what I've seen in other interviews.  The arranging thing was actually a plus since, you know, it put some personality in it.  The fact you have them in a large theater really doesn't change the fact it's still hard to compare trophies, it only lowers my expectations a little more.  Way to go.

Take achievements for example.  I don't have a clue what all achievements I have, how many points I have in what game, or even total number of points I have in a game.  I only have 1000 points in one game and that's because it took 5 minutes to get all 1000 points (Avatar: the Air Bender, or one of the Avatar games).  If I want to compare points with friends I see my total points and my friends total points for each game side by side.  It's simple and quick.

With trophies, I'm going to assume you can do something similar in XMB but I doubt it's so easy in Home.  I'm assuming I go to their trophy room, load it, look at their trophies and what games they've played.  Since I've played a few games I don't remember all the games I've played and what all trophies I have in them.  I go back to my theater, load it, and hope I remember what ones they had.  It isn't convenient.

Home is a good idea but it is just so poorly executed and one of those things that works on paper but is just silly and inconvenient in real life.  I'm sure it will be an interesting thing to play with for a week, but I totally don't expect to ever use it after a week.

twesterm said:

Home The Wiimote is a good idea but it is just so poorly executed and one of those things that works on paper but is just silly and inconvenient in real life.  I'm sure it will be an interesting thing to play with for a week, but I totally don't expect to ever use it after a week.

Does that look familiar?

Just because something may not seem like a good idea at the time doesn't mean it can't turn out to be brilliant later.

Words Of Wisdom said:
twesterm said:

Home The Wiimote is a good idea but it is just so poorly executed and one of those things that works on paper but is just silly and inconvenient in real life.  I'm sure it will be an interesting thing to play with for a week, but I totally don't expect to ever use it after a week.

Does that look familiar?

Just because something may not seem like a good idea at the time doen't mean it can't turn out to be brilliant later.

Oh I always know I can be wrong and I never mind admitting I can be or am wrong.  At this moment until I get my hands on it, I am going to keep my crazy assumptions about the game.  They haven't shown me anything yet that leads me to believe it isn't a hassle and that's my biggest problem with it.  I don't like things getting in the way of my playing games.

What videogirl said about being able to launch games from anywhere is a definite plus but it still doesn't change the fact I think Home is going to be a waste of time.

Personally I just don't see the point of Home. I don't want a vertual world. I just want to play games or watch movies. I don't see how Home will improve upon either of those.

Might be a nice distraction though but certainly not a selling feature to me.

twesterm said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
twesterm said:

Does that look familiar?

Just because something may not seem like a good idea at the time doen't mean it can't turn out to be brilliant later.

Oh I always know I can be wrong and I never mind admitting I can be or am wrong.  At this moment until I get my hands on it, I am going to keep my crazy assumptions about the game.  They haven't shown me anything yet that leads me to believe it isn't a hassle and that's my biggest problem with it.  I don't like things getting in the way of my playing games.

What videogirl said about being able to launch games from anywhere is a definite plus but it still doesn't change the fact I think Home is going to be a waste of time.

I have the same hunches you do, but I don't want to jump the gun on this.

Also, that freaking auto-play video is really starting to annoy me.