By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - LittleBigPlanet Not An Exclusive After All?

jacks81x said:
I think if we're including PC in the conversation, then basically no game is exclusive because you can always play console games on emulators on the PC. I don't think there're emulators for the next-gen systems yet, but I'm sure they'll come soon enough.

In the context of arguing about game exclusivity, I think most people just refer to game consoles and not include PC. Otherwise M$ fanboys can't claim that games like Halo and GOW are Xbox exclusive.

Exactly.

Around the Network
naznatips said:

No, it doesn't. The PC is a gaming platform playing the same game as the consoles (often for less cost). PC games effect console sales, and buyer perception. Valve games will never be exclusive to a console, because they are PC games. The console versions are just cheap ports. When you call a cheap port of something exclusive, you only make yourself look dumb.

Naznatip could you show me some data proving that PC gaming effects console sales? I'm not doubting you I just want to see how much of a relationship the two platforms have in terms of sales.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

Kyros said:
And even if. PC would be cool. Nobody is denying Gears or Halo to be 360 exclusives despite the PC version.

It would be better on the PC that's for sure.

I might get this if it comes to the PC.

Onimusha12 said:

It is not. Just buy a PS3. Then you will actually be able to play LBP and all the games you are petitioning to get on the Wii, like Resident Evil 5.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
bdbdbd said:
@S.T.A.G.E: If so, why doesn't Sony or Nintendo release their big games on PC? If it's a different market, it wouldn't effect negatively on game sales or console sales. It just would be the opposite; if you'd have SMG on your PC, and liked it, you'd surely want to buy Wii and SMG for the Wii just to experience it on Wii.
Or GT5 on PC only would increase PS3 sales, since people would see how great game it is, and they'd buy PS3 for GT5.

With the same logic you said the PC is on different market, last gen is too. "Console exclusive" doesn't equal "exclusive".

Ask yourself why Microsoft got their hands on FFVII for the PC. They published the PC version. It was still exclusive to Sony though through 3rd party. They are totally different experiences and that needs to be accepted. Consoles war with each other, PC's are on their own. Videogames consoles are their own entity and in that they have no gripe with the PC. PC guys can mumble to themselves about how consoles suck all day, yet they don't. Anyone from PC who shifts to consoles like Valve sees an investment in consoles. Microsoft saw an investment in consoles themselves after they saw that Sony gathered market share by gathering games developers. Not 60% percent of the gaming industry with all platforms.... just consoles. Microsoft wanted in on that action instead of just publishing software for the PC, because they had no business with consoles in the past.

actually it was published by EIDOS.

fail.

Onimusha12 said:

lol, in the last thread about LBP you expressed absolutely no understanding on why people liked the concept of the game, and what was so exciting about it. Their explanation win you over?

@S.T.A.G.E: M$ saw an investment in consoles when Ken Kutaragi said he was going to destroy M$. And the size of the investment was defined by PSX:s success.

You know, gaming world revolves around software, not hardware. Every platform competes the other for games, no matter how you look at it. The PC world differentiates itself from consoles by having other uses than just games. If it would be completely different, all the games would be on either PC or console and the funny thing would be, that they wouldn't effect on each others sales.

Tell me, what would happen if PC:s couldn't be used for gaming? Would that have effect on console sales? Or would it have effect on game sales on consoles? And give a good reason why Sony and Nintendo doesn't release their big hitters on PC? If the PC would be completely different market, they would only be making more money with increased game sales since consoles and games on consoles would be sold just as much as now when they are exclusives.

Maybe Square wanted to make more money with FF7. I don't see any other reason. I don't get your point about FF7, since it clearly shows that the market is the same. Look at companies yearly financials, do they include PC into them?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Mendicate Bias said:
naznatips said:

No, it doesn't. The PC is a gaming platform playing the same game as the consoles (often for less cost). PC games effect console sales, and buyer perception. Valve games will never be exclusive to a console, because they are PC games. The console versions are just cheap ports. When you call a cheap port of something exclusive, you only make yourself look dumb.

Naznatip could you show me some data proving that PC gaming effects console sales? I'm not doubting you I just want to see how much of a relationship the two platforms have in terms of sales.

You can't get concrete data on PC sales since so much of it is digital, but there is certainly a lot of evidence of influence.  For example, the 360's sales in Europe are much lower than the PS3's, despite the large price difference.  One factor that may be contributing to this is that Europe is a strong PC market, and the 360 shares a lot more games with the PC than the PS3 does.

But, really, logic is the best defense of this argument.  Logically if you offer the same games on 2 different platforms, the sales of one are going to affect the other.  When a PC developer outsources a port of their games to a console, you don't call that an exclusive game, because it's not an exclusive game.  It's one of multiple platforms where people can play it.  Not only that, but Microsoft and Sony designed the PS3 and 360 to try and compete with the PC.  Heavy graphics and physics focus, large online systems, multimedia, web-browsers.  That's exactly the market they are trying to go for, and it makes PC their direct competitor.

And no, Microsoft doesn't profit off PC game sales other than their own first party stuff.

So basically if you ever hear anyone say that the Xbox is the bomb because of exclusives like Halo and GoW, you say "no they're not exclusives" and point them to this thread.